Cornwall Football Forum

Western League awaits after all!

38 minutes ago, Millbrook Chairman said:

At this Stage Rob we will remain silent until the FA Council have ratified the re structure, once that milestone has passed and been rubber stamped and we have an full understanding of what it means for us as a club financially we will announce our intentions.

The announcement surprised many of us and I can imagine our friends at Mousehole and Brixham will feel bitterly disappointed not to be included so let's see what happens over the coming days and go from there as lots to talk about behind the scenes 😃👍

Hopefully the club can find a way to go up. The way it has been turned around is incredible. Good luck, whatever you decide to do 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

Hopefully the club can find a way to go up. The way it has been turned around is incredible. Good luck, whatever you decide to do 👍🏻

Thanks mate yes its unbelievable to think where we were and what we have achieved so far.

It's a fantastic opportunity so we keep working hard behind the scenes to make things happen 👍

17 hours ago, Steven Seagul said:

No one is implying anything .... If you read my post, the question is how can a "null and void season" be used in a formula to decide promotion... After by definition 2019/20 season does not exist.

My example of Helston highlights the obvious floors in this formula...  There are many potential ways of deciding and no one way is the best, that's why it should by a more considered and robust process.... 

The "floors" or flaws are what exactly - there were lots of games left to play this season so who knows where any team would finish? The previous season was a little more decisive and it was pretty clear who the top two were going to be. So what is this more considered and robust process you talk of? I bet it starts and finishes with Mousehole lol. Ezra will have to by some more accommodation for his imports😆

This season should have been used to finish off last season. This isn’t hindsight, as many of us called for that at the time, as anyone with half a brain knew we would have a second wave in the winter. This ridiculous decision has left us with two incomplete seasons. The solution offered by project reset isn’t perfect, but it rewards clubs for consistency over two seasons. Yes Helston lost players and didn’t do so well in season two but A - They still did better over the two seasons than anyone else bar Saltash and B - would have been promoted anyway in season one if it wasn’t for the pandemic. They deserve the chance. The only bigger mistake then the original null void decision would be to allow two season to count for nothing. Is it completely fair? No. But neither is life. The restructure offers meaning to two years hard work. There will be winners and losers, but as long as rules are applied consistently, let’s just get on with it

2 minutes ago, le boss said:

The "floors" or flaws are what exactly - there were lots of games left to play this season so who knows where any team would finish? The previous season was a little more decisive and it was pretty clear who the top two were going to be. So what is this more considered and robust process you talk of? I bet it starts and finishes with Mousehole lol. Ezra will have to by some more accommodation for his imports😆

Thankyou for your spell check.... Very kind of you.

Why do you assume I'm referring to Mousehole? Who's Ezra?

Brixham are in a similar position I believe ..

Phil Hiscox during his podcast interviews has repeatedly said that using PPG from a Null and Void season couldn't "logically" happen...as by definition that season does not exist.

A more robust formula would be to maybe look at 3 or 4 seasons... Youth setup, community involvement, investment, ambition, attitude, respect etc etc.... 

Not everyone hates Helston...

5 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

This season should have been used to finish off last season. This isn’t hindsight, as many of us called for that at the time, as anyone with half a brain knew we would have a second wave in the winter. This ridiculous decision has left us with two incomplete seasons. The solution offered by project reset isn’t perfect, but it rewards clubs for consistency over two seasons. Yes Helston lost players and didn’t do so well in season two but A - They still did better over the two seasons than anyone else bar Saltash and B - would have been promoted anyway in season one if it wasn’t for the pandemic. They deserve the chance. The only bigger mistake then the original null void decision would be to allow two season to count for nothing. Is it completely fair? No. But neither is life. The restructure offers meaning to two years hard work. There will be winners and losers, but as long as rules are applied consistently, let’s just get on with it

Fair point well made 👍

4 hours ago, le boss said:

Practice what you preach 🤣

11 hours ago, le boss said:

The "floors" or flaws are what exactly - there were lots of games left to play this season so who knows where any team would finish? The previous season was a little more decisive and it was pretty clear who the top two were going to be. So what is this more considered and robust process you talk of? I bet it starts and finishes with Mousehole lol. Ezra will have to by some more accommodation 

Some very large netting gone up around the ground at Helston, my old mate ,a lifetime helston supporter says its to stop anymore players from leaving .😁 

Interesting posts - have only just seen this. Whilst everyone is talking about Saltash and Helston / Mousehole - a bit of perspective from a ‘smaller’ club. Helston invested massively two seasons ago and with their squad would have won the league and been promoted - that season was null and void - this season they have been ‘average’ and have not been the best in the league. Mousehole and Saltash have been constant over the two years and few would argue they are the SWPL west most consistent side over two year - unlike many, I have watched all three play. 
That said ‘little’ Camelford have played to a modest budget - built over three years and this season would of been on the same PPG as both Mousehole and Saltash - a team moving forward like M&S - any decision about promotions should only be based on the here and now (or not at all to make it fair on teams two years ago). Helston being considered for promotion this season does not sit well as they haven’t deserved it - although I believe the decisions will be based on who has applied, rather than who merits it. 

25 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Interesting posts - have only just seen this. Whilst everyone is talking about Saltash and Helston / Mousehole - a bit of perspective from a ‘smaller’ club. Helston invested massively two seasons ago and with their squad would have won the league and been promoted - that season was null and void - this season they have been ‘average’ are have not been the best in the league. Mousehole and Saltash have been constant over the two years and few would argue they are the SWPL west most consistent side over two year - unlike many, I have watched all three play. 
That said ‘little’ Camelford have played to a modest budget - built over three years and this season would of been on the same PPG as both Mousehole and Helston - a team moving forward like M&S - any decision about promotions should only be based on the here and now (or not at all to make it fair on teams two years ago). Helston being considered for promotion this season does not sit well as they haven’t deserved it - although I believe the decisions will be based on who has applied, rather than who merits it. 

Thing is, other places in the country have played very few games. So consistency needed to occur over the whole country.

Hayle beat a very good Illogan team 2-0 today, Illogan beat SWPL Porthleven last week in a friendly! They might pick up more points than you think Dave? No doubting Penryns quality of their playing squad and the step up will probably suit their talented footballers more than in the St.Piran league. I would say both teams will compete with any team outside of the top 6 next season. I would expect the Mouseholes, Falmouths & Bodmins to take 6 points from them but think they’ll hold their own against the majority of the rest and grow into the league as they go and no doubt that both clubs facilities and playing surfaces will be a credit to the league. Good luck to two very good clubs.

Also some good points from Bob as always but I think over last 2 seasons Saltash and Helston are the deserving clubs for promotion to the Western League. The only team who may feel disappointed in this time span could be Mousehole but I think they’ll be red hot favourites to be in this position in a years time. 

14 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Hayle beat a very good Illogan team 2-0 today, Illogan beat SWPL Porthleven last week in a friendly! They might pick up more points than you think Dave? No doubting Penryns quality of their playing squad and the step up will probably suit their talented footballers more than in the St.Piran league. I would say both teams will compete with any team outside of the top 6 next season. I would expect the Mouseholes, Falmouths & Bodmins to take 6 points from them but think they’ll hold their own against the majority of the rest and grow into the league as they go and no doubt that both clubs facilities and playing surfaces will be a credit to the league. Good luck to two very good clubs.

Also some good points from Bob as always but I think over last 2 seasons Saltash and Helston are the deserving clubs for promotion to the Western League. The only team who may feel disappointed in this time span could be Mousehole but I think they’ll be red hot favourites to be in this position in a years time. 

This is probably also an indication as to what the FA is considering on FA Cup spaces - which would be so wrong - no issues Saltash (or Mousehole)  - but if next seasons FA Cup spaces are allocated on how a team played 18 months ago it would simply be wrong. 

3 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

This is probably also an indication as to what the FA is considering on FA Cup spaces - which would be so wrong - no issues Saltash (or Mousehole)  - but if next seasons FA Cup spaces are allocated on how a team played 18 months ago it would simply be wrong. 

FA cup spaces are drawn out of the hat Bob at our level so it's luck of the draw these days 👍

1 hour ago, Millbrook Chairman said:

FA cup spaces are drawn out of the hat Bob at our level so it's luck of the draw these days 👍

Ah thanks - I thought it was PPG at Step 6, which is what concerned me if based over 2 years lol. You guys looking for promotion?

I’ll take back the question of promotion - you made the clubs stance clear earlier. Hope you guys for it though. 

5 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Surely with the plan being that there will be an additional sixty step 5 clubs, the number of places for step 6 clubs in next season's FA Cup will be somewhat reduced

4 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Ah thanks - I thought it was PPG at Step 6, which is what concerned me if based over 2 years lol. You guys looking for promotion?

I’ll take back the question of promotion - you made the clubs stance clear earlier. Hope you guys for it though. 

Thanks Bob, we are looking at all options currently so once the decision is ratified by the FA Council on Thursday we will announce our intentions, exciting times I'm sure for our Cornish clubs and Ilfracombe 👍

On 17/04/2021 at 18:17, Cornish Dave said:

Hayle and penryn coming up to the swpl... hayle will be the whipping boys whilst penryn could be the dark horses this season 

Has this been announced yet? If so, Bude should definitely be in with a shout for promotion being top of the league before it ended, currently top of their Covid cup league ..... and beating Hayle 6-0 in the senior cup earlier in the season 

4 hours ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Has this been announced yet? If so, Bude should definitely be in with a shout for promotion being top of the league before it ended, currently top of their Covid cup league ..... and beating Hayle 6-0 in the senior cup earlier in the season 

What’s the latest on them having lights or at least planning permission? Could possibly be crucial