Holman SC 0-5 Truro City Reserves

Illogan RBL 1-2 St Agnes

Penryn Athletic Reserves 2-2 Newquay Reserves

Penzance Reserves 2-1 Wendron CC United Reserves

Perranporth 1-0 Mullion

St Ives Town 1-0 RNAS Culdrose

St Just 1-2 Perranwell

Penzance Reserves 2-1 Wendron CC United Reserves

Both teams went into this game knowing it was a 6 pointer as both try to avoid ending up with the leagues wooden spoon and face the possibility of relegation into the minor leagues.

Luckily for Penzance they were able to call on the services of 1st teamer James Street, and Darren Ball, who due to work commitments can only play the odd game during the season. In fact this was only Darren’s 2nd game this year. Also returning to the team was Mark Grenfell who has been sorely missed at the back the last few games due to injury.

The game kicked off with Penzance playing their usual long ball game which was ably dealt with by the Wendron back line. The early exchanges were even with most of the play in the mid-third of the pitch.

Penzance’s 1st real attack came down the middle but a weak shot from Marcus Smith goes strait into the keeper’s arms.

Wendron’s 1st real attack comes on the quarter hour when they break down their right cross the ball into the box, then shoot low from 15yds. Damien Norman in the Penzance goal gets down and makes a great diving save and the ball is cleared away under pressure.

A few minutes later it’s Alfie Turner who breaks down Penzance’s right. He crosses in to Marcus Smith whose shot from the edge of the box is blocked. A few seconds later Penzance come down the left but the resultant shot from Danny Michael goes skywards and frightens a few high flying seabirds on their way to Newlyn to feed.

Penzance are now starting to push forward a bit more, but good defending from Wendron keeps them at bay. On 24mins Sam Long manages to break through the centre. He crosses to Marcus who blasts one over the top.

Play settles down for a few minutes but on the half hour Wendron break through and a player (?) is 1-on-1 with the keeper, who rushes out putting him off and he shoots high and well wide.

The last few minutes of the half see Wendron push forward for the 1st goal. They break down their left to the goaline, cross low but the keeper makes a good grab and collects. The last attack of the half sees Wendron cross into the Penzance box but the shot that comes in goes over the bar.

H-T

Penzance start the 2nd half firing on all cylinders. The first few minutes their passing, tackling was totally different from the end of the 1st half. In fact we ask our manager Terry Burgess if he gave them a rocket at half-time and he said no, just told them to play as they had done in the 1st period.

Penzance get the first corner of the game in the 47min. The ball is crossed over and a shout for handball is ignored by the ref and Wendron get the ball away. A Penzance free kick on the right by the goaline goes strait to the keeper.

Penzance’s first league goal of 2008 comes in the 48min. Penzance break from the back, pump the ball into the box, it rebounds out and Sam Long shoots low from 15yds out to make it 1-0.

The game goes quiet for a few minutes as Wendron regroup and Penzance go round in a daze for being in the lead during a match. Half the Penzance squad can’t remember when we last lead in a match.

On 58mins we see the save of the day from the Wendron keeper. Penzance work down their left, cross to Sam Long in free in the middle of the box who blasts a low shot goalwards. The keeper gets down so quickly and parries the ball round the post for a corner. Brilliant save. From the resultant corner, Darren Ball heads over the bar.

On 60mins Wendron use both their subs.

Mark Grenfell goes down under pressure and after a period of treatment is helped off the pitch and is replaced by Jock Britton.

Penzance break down the centre but a Sam Long weak shot is easily grabbed by the keeper.

Wendron break, route 1 but shoot well wide.

Wendron are now looking for the equalizer and are starting to look the better team and push Penzance back. A free kick on the Penzance goaline is headed just wide. We thought a Penzance head got to it but the ref gave the goal kick. A Wendron free kick 30yds out, centre-midfield goes around the wall into Damien’s arms.

Wendron’s pressure pays off in the 79min when they break through. Damien rushes out to cut the angle but Mitch Stevens curls the ball round him into the net from 15yds. 1-1

Wendron push forward for the winner and look more likely to score as Penzance have had a habit this season of conceding goals in pairs.

Penzance get a free kick just inside the Wendron half. They push the ball into the corner, cross and Aflie Turner meets it on the 6yd line at the near post but the ball just wide.

Penzance make 2 more substutions in the 84min when John Williams and (?) come on for Zak Podd and Tony Rigall.

We are all looking at our watches as both teams push for the decider. 90mins goes past and has the ref’s watch stopped. On 90+5mins Alfie Turner runs into the Wendron box and is brought down. Marcus Smith steps up to try and break Penzance’s run of penalty misses. We have scored 1 at the beginning of the season and then missed 6 in a row.

Marcus shoots low to the keepers right and the ball goes in. the Wendron keeper is booked for dissent.

Wendron have time for one more attack and get a corner. They take it but it hits the side netting.

The ref ends the match on 90+8mins.

We are in a state of shock, a win for Penzance, only the 3rd this season.

The crowd of 38 had a few from Wendron.

Corner count was Penzance 4-3 Wendron all in 2nd half.

Penzance – Damien Norman, Darren Ball, James Street, Mike Burt, Mark Grenfell, Tony Riggall, Danny Michael, Zak Podd, Alfie Turner, Marcus Smith, Sam Long.

Subs – Ian Smith, Shane Rowe, Jock Britton (for Grenfell), John Williams (for Podd), ? (or Riggall)

Wendron – Jamie Gray, Adam Williamson, Steve Tucker, James Moseley, Anthony Williams, Jofi Perrin, Paris Waller, Adam Keenan, Ed Timmis, Tony Harris, Mitch Stevens.

Subs – Lutir Murnay, Dan Tellan (both used)

Sorry Wendron if any names are wrong I could not read your managers handwriting!

Penzance’s first league goal of 2008 comes in the 48min. Penzance break from the back, pump the ball into the box, it rebounds out and Sam Long shoots low from 15yds out to make it 1-0.

Marcus shoots low to the keepers right and the ball goes in. the Wendron keeper is booked for dissent.

The ref ends the match on 90+8mins.

CTB the ball didnt rebound out to sam long, i think it was danny(cm) played the ball to me just outside the far corner of the 18yrd box,i cut inside two defenders and slid the ball into sam long,who finished superbly!! keepers positioning was very very suspect!! made it easier for sam-not complainin!!

And as for the pen i sent the keeps the wrong way, and asked the ref how long was left (after my kaka celbration :yahoo: ) and he said 2 mins plus stoppage. but then again the ref and the wendron lino were in a world of there own respectively!!!!

good match report tho!!

glad you didnt mention my shockin attempt of a free kick!!! :blink: doh!! said it out loud!! :lol:

My Micky Mouse watch said 90+5mins. 2 others agreed with me.

Confusion is probably because the ref stops his watch during the game so you had only played 88mins but actual game time on the sidelines was 95mins.

Game finished at 98mins, 3 mins after penalty. So I made it 90+8 = 98mins.

Ref told you 88 (after penalty)+2, so he played 1mins extra.

That means he stopped his watch for 7mins during the game for injuries.

Sorry can't alter the report as I've already sent it off to the press!

My Micky Mouse watch said 90+5mins. 2 others agreed with me.

Confusion is probably because the ref stops his watch during the game so you had only played 88mins but actual game time on the sidelines was 95mins.

Game finished at 98mins, 3 mins after penalty. So I made it 90+8 = 98mins.

Ref told you 88 (after penalty)+2, so he played 1mins extra.

That means he stopped his watch for 7mins during the game for injuries.

Sorry can't alter the report as I've already sent it off to the press!

it gets all a bit complicated for me with stoppages and all-i jus concentrate on the playin!! :lol:

it dont matter bout alterin the report,thats kool-all that does matter is we got 3points!!!

jus one other thing--you said it was our first goal of 2008??? we scored at perranporth a coulple weeks back