Cornwall Football Forum

Rugby League

Watched the excellent documentary on the BBC covering the return of the Great Britain Rugby League Lions, and their disastrous tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. This left me with the impression that a sport I loved, is now in terminal decline in this country. I remember well the great Wigan, Widnes and St Helens sides of the eighties and nineties, and the electrifying and brutal rugby they played in front of packed houses. Due to declining populations and industry in their northern heartlands, professional rugby union recruiting talent from these areas and, dare I say it, the move from regular terrestrial TV matches to a summer Super League on subscription TV, it feels like the days professional game of rugby league in this country are numbered. 

It’s OK Keith, I too am of the Union code. At school they didn’t approve of Soccer, so it was being beaten to a pulp (I was only a scrawny little runt) once a week on the rugger pitch, I learnt very quickly to get rid of the ball fast. My son played for the Navy, despite having his teeth rearranged while playing at school!

I can add, Keith that Rugby League have an impressive disabled section, championed by the one legged Australian comedian Adam Hills, who presents The Last Leg on channel 4 and plays for Warrington Wolves. I don’t know if the League disabled league is particularly impressive amongst sports or if it’s just good P.R.!

Incidentally I know that Cricket also cater for disabled players leagues, particularly for blind players who use a ball incorporating a bell (I’m not sure that Joffre Archer would be welcome to join in, the ball would get there before the sound of the bell!)🏏🛎

Hi Keith, I was just checking my facts and yes Blind Cricket is thriving, with a number of World Cup competitions. The ball is larger than normal and filled with ball bearings! A team is made up of at least four totally blind (B1), three partially blind (B2) and the remainder partially sighted (B3). There are a number of rule changes but the sweep shot is king. I’ve watched some on T.V. and it is both skilful and entertaining.

I may not be around for a day or two as I am away on holiday (despite Boris!) two guys in a big yellow taxi took me all the way to sunny Treliske where a team of entertainers will make every moment a joy! I might get a few posts in between activities.

Am most impressed that the holiday camp (at least this chalet) has real WiFi definitely an improvement since my last holiday here!! Catch up again soon. Cheers - B.T.E.