Cornwall Football Forum

Ready for the restart?

So it’s being suggested that it will be announced officially later that as from  29 March - “organised adult and children's sport, such as grassroots football, will also return” BUT - is it really as easy as that?

What are the thoughts of those interested and involved in the Combo and ECPL?

Are the leagues in consultation with the County FA ready to go on this?

Is there the desire to get the 2020-21 league seasons completed by BOTH the players and the clubs?

Also to bear in mind - the season has been extended to the end of June.

Most teams in Combo have around 20 games to fit in to complete the season. Even if extended to end of June that is 2 games every week (without any cancellations for rain). As seen in Premier league can players sustain 2 games every week for 10 weeks solid with injuries, work, family commitments??

surely it is in everyone’s best interest to null and void the league....maybe set up a competitive cup (league format) and play every weekend. Then start pre season July for a fresh start in August.

Curtailing the season at this level makes no sense. Very few, if any, clubhouses and no gate charges so games CAN go ahead without spectators or with socially distanced spectators as we have had to in the past. Plus changing rooms and showers usage were finally approved ahead of lockdown. 
However the sheer volume of matches remaining surely rules out trying to complete the season by June 30. 
but there is no reason that we cannot simply pause the league and resume again August. Open up a cup comp and make participation optional.

should a team gain promotion it’s results can be expunged and any replacement team would just have to play a full season of games.

pausing the league also prevents the mass signing of more senior players who are now all available which ultimately would make a mockery of any fixtures to come

A bit of positivity ...

All of our lads are buzzing about the idea of playing again this season. I asked them individually and reminded them that there was no pressure at all to do so.

It has been deemed safe enough to do so by scientists and government officials, and yet again there will be guidelines to ensure the correct protocols are in place. The players were happy to play when it was deemed safe enough to do so before and I’m sure they will continue to keep playing whenever possible in future (hopefully there are no more lockdowns!). It gives them something to look forward to and also gives people in their local community something to do and look forward to as well. Some of these supporters love the game just as much as those who are playing, some even more so, I’m sure! It is done outside and you can easily social distance! I’m sure there are more clubs that feel the same positivity about the amateur game potentially being back. 

If it means playing two or three games a week for a few weeks then so be it - it has been done before. A few seasons ago I can remember playing an away match on the Friday evening then playing  the same team home the following day. With steps 3-6 having their seasons curtailed, it shouldn’t mean we will be short on match officials. 

Like anything, if there are some people that don’t want to return (or can’t due to medical reasons) to play, watch, volunteer or officiate then that shouldn’t stop the majority (if that’s the case) enjoying the game again. However, if it proves the majority don’t want to play then that’s fair enough. I think most of these lads, officials and supporters will love nothing more than to have some football to look forward to (done in the right way). 

This positive news is massive for the players, officials and spectators’ mental health. 

There is no guarantee that another mutation won’t hit us next winter so let’s play football whenever we can! 

Looks like other leagues have already started to make their decision following the FA announcement.  

Following yesterday’s announcement, the Midland Football League has also curtailed its divisions at Step 7 & 8. “A number of clubs below Step 6 also rely on spectators and secondary spend and would be unable to continue this season with no income”.

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1364842285767262208?s=20

14 hours ago, countyman said:

Curtailing the season at this level makes no sense. Very few, if any, clubhouses and no gate charges so games CAN go ahead without spectators or with socially distanced spectators as we have had to in the past. Plus changing rooms and showers usage were finally approved ahead of lockdown. 
However the sheer volume of matches remaining surely rules out trying to complete the season by June 30. 
but there is no reason that we cannot simply pause the league and resume again August. Open up a cup comp and make participation optional.

should a team gain promotion it’s results can be expunged and any replacement team would just have to play a full season of games.

pausing the league also prevents the mass signing of more senior players who are now all available which ultimately would make a mockery of any fixtures to come

Trust me on this. Even at this level if spectators are not allowed into games Clubs will take losses if players do not pay subscriptions.  Majority of Combo clubs charge a gate fee just to cover the match official costs if not on a public ground. I know as I've had to sit down in the past and figure out how to break even. 

I think it's best  we follow the other leagues & start again in August. Seems a little bit daft trying to fit 20 games in april & may. Also it would be a shambles with the higher leagues cancelled, it will mean there will be hundreds of peninsula level ringers looking for a game every Saturday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Isn’t the combo league dissolving soon? Now would be as a good a time as any to do this wouldn’t it? Someone said once before the combo is the equivalent to Trelawny Orem technically in the FAs eyes is this not correct? It seems if that is correct then week in week out officials are being dragged into officiating games at this level when they could well be used in the leagues above or below. About time the ccfa had a little shuffle around and now is the time!

2 hours ago, Maybenextyear said:

Are friendlies allowed after 29 March, thinking about insurance etc and if we are covered or if it’s needed? Marjons seconds keen to play games to get back to some kind of normality, would need to be away games as don’t know when the college is open again. Thanks for your help

Mmmm...dubious about insurance on friendlies,  check your insurance I would think.