Cornwall Football Forum

Ready or not to go on the 29th March 2021?

Extract from letter received today. A difficult job for the league committee as  they don’t know what the situation would be for clubs seeking promotion to Combo / St Piran etc. I have posted what was sent from the league chairman that was specific to TL 

‘“With regards to divisions within our league, with some clubs indicating their wish to not take part in any more games this season, we may opt for the preferred FA option of PPG(Points Per Game) to determine final league position at the close of the season on 31st May but no firm decision has yet been made.

The committee is in talks to increase our division sizes for next season.  If the decision is to go down this path, then those clubs in highest positions once PPG is applied will be invited to fill vacancies in the divisions above. Clubs in bottom twoplaces may be placed in the next lower division, as happens now before adjustments are made but this is not certain.

Until any firm decisions are made clubs and players should continue to try their best to gain the highest positions in their division and enjoy their return to football.”

8 hours ago, Pitty said:

Extract from letter received today. A difficult job for the league committee as  they don’t know what the situation would be for clubs seeking promotion to Combo / St Piran etc. I have posted what was sent from the league chairman that was specific to TL 

‘“With regards to divisions within our league, with some clubs indicating their wish to not take part in any more games this season, we may opt for the preferred FA option of PPG(Points Per Game) to determine final league position at the close of the season on 31st May but no firm decision has yet been made.

The committee is in talks to increase our division sizes for next season.  If the decision is to go down this path, then those clubs in highest positions once PPG is applied will be invited to fill vacancies in the divisions above. Clubs in bottom twoplaces may be placed in the next lower division, as happens now before adjustments are made but this is not certain.

Until any firm decisions are made clubs and players should continue to try their best to gain the highest positions in their division and enjoy their return to football.”

‘Gain their highest positions’? How is this possible when the leagues are null and void? These mini leagues / cups surly cannot have an impact on the clubs that have opted in final league standings? I read during the initial letter sent out to clubs that clubs that opt to not take part in these competitions will not be penalised in any way, yet this does seem to contradict that statement? 

22 minutes ago, Sijames said:

‘Gain their highest positions’? How is this possible when the leagues are null and void? These mini leagues / cups surly cannot have an impact on the clubs that have opted in final league standings? I read during the initial letter sent out to clubs that clubs that opt to not take part in these competitions will not be penalised in any way, yet this does seem to contradict that statement? 

Hasn’t the league decided to continue with its LEAGUE programme, but alllowing clubs to not participate if that is their wish? 

9 hours ago, Sijames said:

The frustration is in the wording of the league correspondence.  It says PPG 'may' be used for the final league standing not 'will'.  In a time of uncertainty it would certainly been nice to know one way or another to make a decision at club level.  If the word was 'will' then clubs who didn't wish to carry on could withdraw without worrying about promotion/relegation next season.  

6 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

The frustration is in the wording of the league correspondence.  It says PPG 'may' be used for the final league standing not 'will'.  In a time of uncertainty it would certainly been nice to know one way or another to make a decision at club level.  If the word was 'will' then clubs who didn't wish to carry on could withdraw without worrying about promotion/relegation next season.  

This came out after all the clubs had made their final decision on whether to play or not. 

My concern would be if they restart the league with the teams that chose to continue some could turn their season around whilst those who voted not to will not get that opportunity. Think it is a huge miscomunication by the league. Alot of teams would change their mind if they go down on a PPG after others teams have played on.

8 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

Probably 'may' because nobody knows what will happen higher up the pyramid and how this will then affect what happens with league sizes, etc.

On 17/03/2021 at 12:54, Richard Chown said:

Yes my concern is, when the league sent out their proposed ‘votes’ for how the season will end there was no mention of this at all! Teams listens to their players and some opted out, if this was mentioned I dare say this would of had a huge effect on some of the players and consequently clubs decisions. A tad short sighted on the back of a knee jerk decision from the league I feel! 

PPG was effectively used to determine the smaller reduced leagues this year when dropping them down to 10. Credit where credit is due to the league management committee, that decision has allowed the opportunity for the league to complete the season unlike some of the larger division leagues in the area.

For next season and this obviously depends where we are with COVID when the AGM takes place I would think the leagues will grow back to the normal 14 teams once again. This will mean a major shuffle that won’t be a traditional 2 promoted 2 relegated as the upper half of divisions are promoted to fill the gaps.