Cornwall Football Forum

Ready or not to go on the 29th March 2021?

The following options have been sent to the club secretaries for the clubs to consider and reply with the option they would like to go with

1. Curtail season 20-21 forth with. Make all games Nul and void.

2. Carry on with season until original closure date of end of May. All clubs to play each other once on an available pitch of either team, and promotion and relegation to be decided on these games. This will possibly require midweek travel. Any club unable to fulfil the scheduled fixture will forfeit the points and be find as league rules.

3. Cancel season 20-21 make all games Nul and void. Replace this with a cup comp consisting of 2 mini leagues per division, where possible. Each team to play each other team in section once on an available ground of either team. The winners of each mini league to meet in a one of final on an available ground. Any club that wishes not to participate in this comp will not be find in anyway.Where possible no fixtures will be made midweek to prevent travel. 

4. Carry on with league fixtures until extended period sanctioned by The CCFA till the end of June. It is an option but the committee can see pitfulls in this proposal in that not all clubs will be allowed to continue using hired pitches and match official availability. This would only be considered if the majority of clubs wish to go down this route.

5. Allow any club that wishes to cease playing in remainder of season do so with no penalties. Club would remain in the division they are in at present when constitution of league is formulated at next AGM, unless they wish to be relegated to next lower division.

9 hours ago, Pitty said:

The following options have been sent to the club secretaries for the clubs to consider and reply with the option they would like to go with

1. Curtail season 20-21 forth with. Make all games Nul and void.

2. Carry on with season until original closure date of end of May. All clubs to play each other once on an available pitch of either team, and promotion and relegation to be decided on these games. This will possibly require midweek travel. Any club unable to fulfil the scheduled fixture will forfeit the points and be find as league rules.

3. Cancel season 20-21 make all games Nul and void. Replace this with a cup comp consisting of 2 mini leagues per division, where possible. Each team to play each other team in section once on an available ground of either team. The winners of each mini league to meet in a one of final on an available ground. Any club that wishes not to participate in this comp will not be find in anyway.Where possible no fixtures will be made midweek to prevent travel. 

4. Carry on with league fixtures until extended period sanctioned by The CCFA till the end of June. It is an option but the committee can see pitfulls in this proposal in that not all clubs will be allowed to continue using hired pitches and match official availability. This would only be considered if the majority of clubs wish to go down this route.

5. Allow any club that wishes to cease playing in remainder of season do so with no penalties. Club would remain in the division they are in at present when constitution of league is formulated at next AGM, unless they wish to be relegated to next lower division.

Just so I can get my head around it, does 'Option 2' continue on with the league table as is? Or would it reset to zero, and you would just have these games?

If it resets to zero, then Option 4 is the only one that actually benefits sides near the top of the league. As you would've guessed I'm writing this as a player for one of those clubs, but to me it seems unfair that our previous 9 league games would count for nothing yet these new ones do. Baring in mind the Trelawny League will now be flooded with higher league players!

4 hours ago, 1ofthekids said:

Just so I can get my head around it, does 'Option 2' continue on with the league table as is? Or would it reset to zero, and you would just have these games?

If it resets to zero, then Option 4 is the only one that actually benefits sides near the top of the league. As you would've guessed I'm writing this as a player for one of those clubs, but to me it seems unfair that our previous 9 league games would count for nothing yet these new ones do. Baring in mind the Trelawny League will now be flooded with higher league players!

Would a lot of clubs go for option 5 so they do not fall foul of option 2. The last thing clubs want is to pay fines out of depleted cash funds.

3 hours ago, panda said:

Would a lot of clubs go for option 5 so they do not fall foul of option 2. The last thing clubs want is to pay fines out of depleted cash funds.

Having had Option 2 cleared up (thanks David 👍), this would only result in 2 or 3 games left maximum for each side and would get the season finished, but with the previous games and current league table meaning something. Seems logical to if we want the 20/21 season to count. But then I would think that, ha!

More than anything, I think all involved need clarity and soon. A decision has to be made and justified as soon as possible, because the longer there is uncertainty, the more frustration grows. 
-Its a shorter period of time than usual (by a huge margin) for the number of games still left to play.

-there’s a justifiable argument for players physical and mental well-being in bringing the sport back

-like wise there’s a risk of infection still and, is that a reasonable risk to take at this stage, or would the odds change dramatically in waiting a few months?

for me, and I can’t speak on behalf of the club I’m associated with, I just want a decision made so we can get organised and if needs be put on a summer tournament. 
My biggest gripe at the moment, is that we are talking about 23-30 people playing football and whether it’s safe, but festivals have been given the green light already and sold out in minutes. For me, (and it’s solely my opinion) if 50,000 people can mix without a track and trace system, and possibly even walk around the community with symptoms they believe to be the hangover from hell, Where’s the greater risk? 

cancel the season, get tournaments and friendlies set up amongst ourselves and start next season a fresh.

The olderthelegs and Cornish legend have the most sensible and something this country lacks - common sense -approach to this situation.

Yes we all want football to be played but surely to wait a few months (as the virus is still very much around us-i know of 3 people testing positive this week) and hopefully have a clear and fresh start. I would think the 123 thousand people would agree this if they had the option.

On 24/02/2021 at 07:14, Pitty said:

31st March is the deadline under current league rules. Transfers and registration are still ‘live’ at the moment

True Dave and I have no problem with the rule of 2 Senior players playing to help out however due to the lockdown the 21 day rule of playing for a higher league side is out the window so their is no cap on numbers. This theoretically could allow a club to field an entire team made up of SWPL players in the Combo. The 50% rule in the Trelawny may prevent that but it’s something for the leagues to consider prior to re commencing (if we do at all)

If enough players sign on for individual clubs,could we end up with Peninsula League teams accidentally playing in the Duchy League? If a team team signs up a whole bunch of Falmouth Town players for example, it would be interesting if a 100 or so football starved F-Troop turn up to watch at a Duchy League ground. Clubs such as Helston and Saltash have teams in junior leagues, and could conceivably include some first team players (Dane Bunney mentioned that he is open to a few of this squad turning out for the third team over the wall at Warfelton.)

On 02/03/2021 at 11:33, Old Git said:

The olderthelegs and Cornish legend have the most sensible and something this country lacks - common sense -approach to this situation.

Yes we all want football to be played but surely to wait a few months (as the virus is still very much around us-i know of 3 people testing positive this week) and hopefully have a clear and fresh start. I would think the 123 thousand people would agree this if they had the option.

I personally am worried that we straying back into the territory of last July and August and thinking this is nearly over, look at how it came back with a vengeance in November/December/January. I know we are going great guns on vaccinations, but people are prematurely letting their guard down as infections are on the rise again in many parts of the country. A friend of mine lives in Milton Keynes, cases have doubled there over the last few days.

This season just needs to be voided now. Forget the results and games played. Void it and move on. Theres light at the end of the tunnel. Bring forward the new season abit. Start making plans for it now. I personally feel that people who do play on a Saturday at this level. there will be a high percentage of them that just want to get back to work and earning money again and will choose this over football. Then you’ll have clubs struggling for players then being fined for not having enough players. Or players from levels above playing which makes no sense. 

Decision needs to be made ASAP 

On 04/03/2021 at 17:55, Asterix said:

Clubs could arrange as many friendlies as they wish, to get momentum into the season! Perfect chance. Even without the ‘Cricketers’

Not saying I'm 100% right about my interpretation but the regulations announced so far permit "organised football" to return; friendlies don't necessarily fall into that category!

I don’t know what the hold up is? Outdoor sports to commence as of 29 March, if the league decide to play they’re leaving it a little late to notify clubs are they not? This isn’t just the odd few weeks clubs have had off. I can imagine there is a mountain of jobs to be done at clubs to get the facilities up to match day standards let alone getting the players back together to train / fitness needs to certainly be addressed along with all of the other pre season (as this is what it’ll be like) faff! Hurry up for gods sake and make the call either way!!!

11 hours ago, John Mead said:

Not saying I'm 100% right about my interpretation but the regulations announced so far permit "organised football" to return; friendlies don't necessarily fall into that category!

I didn’t mean straight away on March 29th. 
I mean with a season cancelled, you’d have a 4 month period to organise your pre season 

As previously mentioned, would friendlies be permitted under the restrictions on/after 29th March? 

How can teams train prior to the 29th, not allowed to mix until then and that's only 6? This is all asking for problems all round. Start again a new season in August when we can all hopefully return to play/watch or officiate knowing we have all done our bit to prepare.

'Fail to prepare-prepare to fail'

On 06/03/2021 at 11:34, Dave Deacon said:

There are some clubs ringing around for friendlies as early as the first available Saturday! 

That’s mental, but preparation. It’s all to ****, because it doesn’t define, what “organised” means. 
doesn't state it has to be league or cup football. Could it be testimonials, charity matches, memorial Matches, friendly. 

Trelawny League will be going with the following (from their email sent out last week).  We've just had the outcome sent to us.

'Cancel season 20-21 make all games Nul and void. Replace this with a cup comp consisting of 2 mini leagues per division, where possible. Each team to play each other team in section once on an available ground of either team. The winners of each mini league to meet in a one of final on an available ground. Any club that wishes not to participate in this comp will not be find in anyway. Where possible no fixtures will be made midweek to prevent travel.'

For clarity, the options given to us were (and the number of Clubs that voted for that option)

1. Null and void the season (13+2)
2. Carry on the season, ending at the end of May (10)
3. Cancel League and run cup competitions (15)
4. Carry on the season, ending at the end of June (0)
5. Allow Clubs that don't want to play any remaining games to 'pull out' with no fines or relegation etc (1).

Two teams didn't bother responding to the Trelawny League.  Those two numbers were added to option one.

With the majority voting for the season to end and potentially cups/mini leagues to run instead, will that mean no promotions?

With teams in higher leagues applying to go up (Ludgvan and Ruan Minor from combo, a few from St Pirans have asked to go up too), would there still be a chance Trelawny Prem could see teams go in to Combo if they want? Or even an internal restructure of the Trelawny Divisions like last season? 

2 hours ago, Mr Justice said:

Sounds like an absolute lash up in the Trelawny League now.

They're just trying to give the club's what they want - however I think on this occasion they just need to admit that it's not viable and set up for next season.

Clubs can then get back to training and playing matches between now and August when they feel it's safe to do so. 

If they continue with the League, promotions and relegations have still got to happen, surely? That means that Divisional placement could be affected for teams and they could essentially be relegated for trying to keep their players, family and friends safe 😕

No win situation either way and ultimately however tough decisions, hard decisions are usually the best decisions.

Surely the committee have already stated that the league games are null and void and that there will be no promotions or relegations. They are now trying to ORGANISE fixtures for teams that wish to play with appointed referees to comply with F A requirements.

The question now is do you wish to play teams that you have not already played twice in the league, or do you wish to play cup matches which could be more competitive. Tthese games will bypass the problem raised by John Mead as to are friendly games considered 'Organised games'.

21 minutes ago, Foot Loose 1 said:

Surely the committee have already stated that the league games are null and void and that there will be no promotions or relegations. They are now trying to ORGANISE fixtures for teams that wish to play with appointed referees to comply with F A requirements.

The question now is do you wish to play teams that you have not already played twice in the league, or do you wish to play cup matches which could be more competitive. Tthese games will bypass the problem raised by John Mead as to are friendly games considered 'Organised games'.

They initially said that there would be cup competitions played. However, then a number of teams retracted on their 'we don't want to play' vote and said that actually, they do want to play.

So they contacted the League and the Fixtures Secretary has basically pointed out that there would basically be the same amount of fixtures in the cups with the teams that now want to play as there is for the remainder of the League. So, there's no reason to play cup games when you can finish the League. That makes sense.

However, my club for example, we accept that the cons far outweigh the pro's. We would rather train in small groups (bubbles) and get our fitness up instead of playing matches which don't really mean anything. It's safer and is much easier to manage.

The lads would be getting their fitness up and when we thinks it's viable, would then start playing friendlies. 

We've lost so much football since this started that it just seems foolish to try and save it. 

I respect the Committee for trying to keep football going but I just think that we've lost far too much time to justify it.

Playing devils advocate. If 2 team get promoted from peninsula, st. Pirans, and combo. Which is feasible surely there would be promotion from Trelawney. Then possibly no relegation unless a club wishes as happened last season. Obviously it could only happen if clubs pass ground grading, but that could also be a logistical nightmare for people like John Mead

41 minutes ago, fudge said:

They simply have to null and void the season like the rest of the leagues what is the difference???

If St Pirans and Combo teams only had roughly 9 games left each they may have played on? 

The league are trying to keep everyone happy which is a no win situation. By going with a majority vote you're still going to have teams not wanting to play at all (understandably). 

On 07/03/2021 at 21:13, Dave Bartlam said:

Trelawny League will be going with the following (from their email sent out last week).  We've just had the outcome sent to us.

'Cancel season 20-21 make all games Nul and void. Replace this with a cup comp consisting of 2 mini leagues per division, where possible. Each team to play each other team in section once on an available ground of either team. The winners of each mini league to meet in a one of final on an available ground. Any club that wishes not to participate in this comp will not be find in anyway. Where possible no fixtures will be made midweek to prevent travel.'

For clarity, the options given to us were (and the number of Clubs that voted for that option)

1. Null and void the season (13+2)
2. Carry on the season, ending at the end of May (10)
3. Cancel League and run cup competitions (15)
4. Carry on the season, ending at the end of June (0)
5. Allow Clubs that don't want to play any remaining games to 'pull out' with no fines or relegation etc (1).

Two teams didn't bother responding to the Trelawny League.  Those two numbers were added to option one.

By what authority was the decision enshrined in the last sentence taken ? If an inadequate one, unsupported by any clearly stated League Rule, this would invalidate the whole vote and I would advise any club unhappy with outcome to take an appeal to the national FA.

3 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

By what authority was the decision enshrined in the last sentence taken ? If an inadequate one, unsupported by any clearly stated League Rule, this would invalidate the whole vote and I would advise any club unhappy with outcome to take an appeal to the national FA.

Well Isaac, that should take up more than enough time to take us to the end of the “season” and beyond. A very smart idea!

5 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

I personally think that by abstaining from a vote, the League Committee put that vote in the right place - as a no vote. Not that it would have made any difference.

Usually I'm a stickler for rules as laid down but there's not been too many pandemics previously where rules had to be changed so I think the Trelawny League Committee can be given a bit of slack here.

Personally, I think for the first vote, they did the right thing. They gauged opinion from their member clubs and acted on it.

I think they've made a mistake by allowing a second vote and by allowing the club's that initially voted 'no football' to actually vote again. They lost that right when they voted no football; so to be allowed to change their mind at the cost of the club's that genuinely don't feel safe continuing, is a mistake in my eyes. Now clubs, such as mine are in a massive dilemma because we were in the running for promotion, but to be told the League will continue and promotion/relegation may still happen, it puts us in a precarious position. We crave promotion but do we put that against our player majority opinion? 

What I'd have liked to have seen happen in the Trelawny is they null and void the league and allow the club's to take it upon themselves to get back on the field when they feel good and ready. 

Regardless, I'm glad I'm not part of it anymore. They're going to be in the line if fire with whatever stance and decision they take.

10 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I personally think that by abstaining from a vote, the League Committee put that vote in the right place - as a no vote. Not that it would have made any difference.

Usually I'm a stickler for rules as laid down but there's not been too many pandemics previously where rules had to be changed so I think the Trelawny League Committee can be given a bit of slack here.

Personally, I think for the first vote, they did the right thing. They gauged opinion from their member clubs and acted on it.

I think they've made a mistake by allowing a second vote and by allowing the club's that initially voted 'no football' to actually vote again. They lost that right when they voted no football; so to be allowed to change their mind at the cost of the club's that genuinely don't feel safe continuing, is a mistake in my eyes. Now clubs, such as mine are in a massive dilemma because we were in the running for promotion, but to be told the League will continue and promotion/relegation may still happen, it puts us in a precarious position. We crave promotion but do we put that against our player majority opinion? 

What I'd have liked to have seen happen in the Trelawny is they null and void the league and allow the club's to take it upon themselves to get back on the field when they feel good and ready. 

Regardless, I'm glad I'm not part of it anymore. They're going to be in the line if fire with whatever stance and decision they take.

There would have been movements/promotions either way, at least this way they will find a bit of fairness.

2 hours ago, bighairydave said:

There would have been movements/promotions either way, at least this way they will find a bit of fairness.

If the season was null and void, there wouldn't have been promotions or relegations - because no-one would have finished in promotion/relegation spots.

There will however be a league reshuffle/restructure, if that's what you mean. 

6 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

If the season was null and void, there wouldn't have been promotions or relegations - because no-one would have finished in promotion/relegation spots.

There will however be a league reshuffle/restructure, if that's what you mean. 

Yes, how would they decide who goes into different divisions then?

29 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Yes, how would they decide who goes into different divisions then?

Thats a good question because with no league standings this season if it's null and void, how would they do it as it's usually done by position. That could be one of the reasons behind trying to continue the league.