Cornwall Football Forum

Ready or not to go on the 29th March 2021?

So it’s being suggested that it will be announced officially later that as from  29 March - “organised adult and children's sport, such as grassroots football, will also return” BUT - is it really as easy as that? 

Are the leagues in consultation with the County FA ready to go on this?

Is there the desire to get the 2020-21 league seasons completed by BOTH  the players and the clubs?

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

So it’s being suggested that it will be announced officially later that as from  29 March - “organised adult and children's sport, such as grassroots football, will also return” BUT - is it really as easy as that? 

Are the leagues in consultation with the County FA ready to go on this?

Is there the desire to get the 2020-21 league seasons completed by BOTH  the players and the clubs?

First thoughts are that no, it is not as easy as that. The green light may well be given for the return of grassroots football, but it does not look like licensed premises will be allowed to reopen for (potentially) several months afterwards. Without the use of clubhouses being permitted,and also regulations covering the size of crowd and safety measures required, how many clubs at steps 5,6,7 and below will just decide that it is just not viable to play matches?

As an aside, speaking as someone who is no fan at all of our Prime Minister, this slow and cautious approach to removing lockdown measures does seem the right and pragmatic thing to do.

2 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

We're talking Step 7 and downwards here. St Piran League and below and so the question of clubhouses, crowds etc may not always come into play

For anyone not able to post their thoughts on here - here's another quick survey on the matter

Sorry Dave, didn't see that. Went into topic via the recent thread section. Another thought I had was that if the step 7 and downwards portion of local football got going and nothing else, could step 5 and 6 players, if they are correctly registered of course, turn out in order to get a game? 

Agree with Deacs and Older, it’s not just a game of football, it’s everything that goes with it. Think any league where you pay to watch a game at certain facilities is certainly off limits. ie) Combo and East Cornwall leagues upwards. You could possibly play Trelawny and Duchy league matches if the players don’t mind changing in cars etc but I think  the Junior lads should still be respected and the common sense decision is let’s go for next season when another 4/5 months may make all the difference regards vaccines for the elderly and more vulnerable and clubhouses are open again so the clubs can get some revenue in. We all enjoy local footie at whatever level but I still think we need to take the sensible approach for all concerned. Maybe when pre season does start again the referees could do some friendlies for just the petrol expenses and no match fee, be a nice gesture to help the clubs out to start with possibly? 👍

2 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Agree with Deacs and Older, it’s not just a game of football, it’s everything that goes with it. Think any league where you pay to watch a game at certain facilities is certainly off limits. ie) Combo and East Cornwall leagues upwards. You could possibly play Trelawny and Duchy league matches if the players don’t mind changing in cars etc but I think  the Junior lads should still be respected and the common sense decision is let’s go for next season when another 4/5 months may make all the difference regards vaccines for the elderly and more vulnerable and clubhouses are open again so the clubs can get some revenue in. We all enjoy local footie at whatever level but I still think we need to take the sensible approach for all concerned. Maybe when pre season does start again the referees could do some friendlies for just the petrol expenses and no match fee, be a nice gesture to help the clubs out to start with possibly? 👍

Well said Rappo

Agree with Rappo. Far too soon and too contradictory; the rule of 6 applies outdoors, yet 30 blokes from different households can play football with each other? Nothing to be gained from attempting to finish the season IMO. Knock it on the head and go again in August when hopefully far safer. Many clubs rely on elderly volunteers and many refs at this grassroots level are also in the vulnerable age bracket - why rush it and potentially put them at risk?

With 16 odd games left to play for us in duchy division 3, I think whilst getting grassroots footy back is brilliant, but I think the season should be cancelled and start again next season for 2021-22 as getting all these games played before the start of the next season will be a nightmare some teams have more than that to play, so logistically it seems unable to complete the season. But that's my opinion and we are all entitled to one and not everyone will agree. 

4 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Rappo, as a Referee I think that asking us to officiate for petrol expenses is a bit odd. Who in their right mind is going to give up their time for a few quid?? I am sure if players want to play they would be prepared to put their hand in their own pockets and pay a fiver to play and cover costs incurred . Why should a Referee subsidise the players entertainment?? I suppose those same players who question every decision made by the Ref in the game would be jumping at the chance to officiate and help their mates and their club to get a game on........no, I didn't think so! 

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Alot of referees in pre season only charge mileage anyway. I do - although I think I did most games this year for free. 

At Trelawny Level, they have no bar, they have no takings so it is more often than not player contribution that pays for the referee. It's my pre season too so I often just do it for the enjoyment. Some refs will disagree with me for doing that however, it's a choice I make to try and make things easier for the club. I'm also not dependent on the extra money not need it - I appreciate that some aren't in that position so do like having the extra £20+ a week.

Personally, I'd like to see the season null and void (far from what most want but it makes sense) and we have a few weeks to sort our pitches out and dry them where we can, prepare for next season and have a long pre season to get back up to fitness.

There will be plenty of friendlies, plenty of tournaments etc return slowly, get everything in place for 21/22 and play with no interference.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

Agree with Rappo. Far too soon and too contradictory; the rule of 6 applies outdoors, yet 30 blokes from different households can play football with each other? Nothing to be gained from attempting to finish the season IMO. Knock it on the head and go again in August when hopefully far safer. Many clubs rely on elderly volunteers and many refs at this grassroots level are also in the vulnerable age bracket - why rush it and potentially put them at risk?

Spot on, Matt P. Nothing whatsoever to be gained by restarting the season, Everything that 'our clubs' [Western League down] are involved in should be null and void. The only result we would get from playing 6 - 8 weeks would be more people getting infected, lets remember, very few of the active participants will have had a jab by then!!! Ok there may be one or two old timers who may creep in. Billy D perhaps 🤪😁🤣

Yeah Bry, what I was trying to get at is exactly what Dave said really. Maybe a more localised referee to cut the costs down for clubs who are already struggling a bit and one that’s looking to use it as pre season training. Didn’t want to pick on refs specifically! I’m a big fan of our local refs! 😀👍 Also maybe charge us spectators a couple of quid to watch a friendly at any level, just to help the clubs out a bit as well. They’ve spent a lot of time over the last year making no money at all and still with bills to pay no doubt. You sound like you might be quite an aggressive ref so maybe even donate a couple of pencils to you to help you get through next seasons bookings!!? 😂

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah Bry, what I was trying to get at is exactly what Dave said really. Maybe a more localised referee to cut the costs down for clubs who are already struggling a bit and one that’s looking to use it as pre season training. Didn’t want to pick on refs specifically! I’m a big fan of our local refs! 😀👍 Also maybe charge us spectators a couple of quid to watch a friendly at any level, just to help the clubs out a bit as well. They’ve spent a lot of time over the last year making no money at all and still with bills to pay no doubt. You sound like you might be quite an aggressive ref so maybe even donate a couple of pencils to you to help you get through next seasons bookings!!? 😂

Bloody hell Rappo, be no good if you was still playing, he would have you in that book quicker than you can find the net 😉

In all seriousness, some referees do use the Pre season just like the players, for fitness and to get back into the routine of games and match days. 

So basically I can start playing & training again from 29th March with 22+ blokes all coming in to close and direct physical contact with each other on the pitch...but, for example, my Mrs can only sit socially distanced and watch a session or a match (not that she would lol) with only 1 other and can still only have up to 6 people socially distanced from 2 households in a private garden? Something doesn’t make sense here!

22 minutes ago, St George said:

So basically I can start playing & training again from 29th March with 22+ blokes all coming in to close and direct physical contact with each other on the pitch...but, for example, my Mrs can only sit socially distanced and watch a session or a match (not that she would lol) with only 1 other and can still only have up to 6 people socially distanced from 2 households in a private garden? Something doesn’t make sense here!

It's total nonsense...Johnson written all over it.

Incompetent scruff bag of a fool.

To all the “Start again next season” warriors: Think mutations, the Scientists are already developing a new vaccine to combat the new variants that the current vaccines won’t stop completely, they haven’t started on a vaccine for the mutations that haven’t happened yet (But they will).

Expect regular winter lockdowns and seasonal jabs for the foreseeable future. Why start yet another season which might end in a third abandonment? Roll over this season, arrange a COVID Cup to fill the gaps and let’s see if we can play a season to conclusion!

Oh, and just for Older and his gang, look at the weather so far this year, not many games would have survived that. We’re going to have to look at smaller leagues or two year seasons sometime soon!

3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

To all the “Start again next season” warriors: Think mutations, the Scientists are already developing a new vaccine to combat the new variants that the current vaccines won’t stop completely, they haven’t started on a vaccine for the mutations that haven’t happened yet (But they will).

Expect regular winter lockdowns and seasonal jabs for the foreseeable future. Why start yet another season which might end in a third abandonment? Roll over this season, arrange a COVID Cup to fill the gaps and let’s see if we can play a season to conclusion!

Oh, and just for Older and his gang, look at the weather so far this year, not many games would have survived that. We’re going to have to look at smaller leagues or two year seasons sometime soon!

And I agree with all of that.

Dont think I would call it the Covid cup though!

More like the perpetual cup because it would probably never get finished...lol.

What age are the majority of the people who are making posts on this group and are you still playing?

Im interested to know as I still (try to) play, ref and think some sort of football should be starting for the mental health of our players and to keep them interested. Another 5 months (til July) before playing would have a major effect I believe in loosing players and the mental well-being. The Fa has extended the playing season to the end of June btw if you hadn’t seen it. 

I don’t want an argument on your beliefs as I’ve read them, I’m just interested in the dynamics of people posting on this particular thread. 

cheers and gone! 

Im hoping the season does get back under way again for me personally its all i have to look forward to each week because im going bloody crazy without watching the footy .Say the season is suspended and started again next season what is there to say Covid doesnt come back again and we go through the same old thing season suspended yet again .Maybe the season could be extended until June before all the  footballers jet off on there holidays to somewhere like Minehead lol. Hope to see every one at grounds as soon as the green light for go is pressed 

For mental health reasons I think a lot of players are struggling and will love to see the league resume. However with 22 league games for our 1st in duchy prem and 18 for our reserves in duchy 2 this maybe a stretch to complete even with the June extension. 
Add to that the fact we share our pitch with a cricket club who get the pitch back in may we have potentially 20ish home games to fit in in April. 

We all want it back but we are going to have to have a clear plan of action.

Lots of different options out there maybe only play a team once but what do you do if two teams have played twice already? Get them to play a game and expunge the other results? 

Current league fixtures are not achievable from 29/3 to 31/5 most sides in Trelawny have at least 10 fixtures to go some even more. Cups would have to be null and void. Consideration could be given to a smaller World Cup format with smaller leagues and a final if the desire is to get something going for the remaining 2 months

two other massive considerations for the Trelawny / duchy leagues is the possibility of the NLS being made null and void which might result in higher standard players influxing the league looking for a game making it a bit of a farce. If trelawny is to recommence in some format consideration should be given to suspend all registrations and transfers now and ensure the 50% played for a higher team (max2 ) rule is enforced............. cricket may also be a factor some clubs need to be off their grounds or players might decide to just have a crack at a full cricket season rather then bother trying to finish the football

1 hour ago, Pitty said:

Current league fixtures are not achievable from 29/3 to 31/5 most sides in Trelawny have at least 10 fixtures to go some even more. Cups would have to be null and void. Consideration could be given to a smaller World Cup format with smaller leagues and a final if the desire is to get something going for the remaining 2 months

two other massive considerations for the Trelawny / duchy leagues is the possibility of the NLS being made null and void which might result in higher standard players influxing the league looking for a game making it a bit of a farce. If trelawny is to recommence in some format consideration should be given to suspend all registrations and transfers now and ensure the 50% played for a higher team (max2 ) rule is enforced............. cricket may also be a factor some clubs need to be off their grounds or players might decide to just have a crack at a full cricket season rather then bother trying to finish the football

Transfer idea, seems reasonable. But I was under the assumption, that of a certain date, players can’t transfer etc or have I got that wrong over the years? 
But can see exactly what you’re saying. Already seen it on a couple of Senior players Twitters

20 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Speaking for Redruth United. When the tin is taken around for contributions it’s amazing how many people say sorry I don’t have any money on me. Also do fewer people carry cash now since COVID started. And yes we do have a card machine.

personally feel season should be null and void. To answer Ralph’s question on mental health. What happens if we start the season play games and the get another spread and have to go into another lockdown. I know we all want to get football played but we’ve suffered this long so for the sake of 3 or 4 months let’s hold on and get rid for good. Then we can get pre season and friendlies going and start next season going properly. Or even hold tournaments in july to prepare for it.

Would also like to see what current players feel apart from us older members, not just Ralph and Dave.

2 hours ago, Pitty said:

two other massive considerations for the Trelawny / duchy leagues is the possibility of the NLS being made null and void which might result in higher standard players influxing the league looking for a game making it a bit of a farce.

On the other hand, might it be that these extra players would help complete the demanding number of games some teams might have?

7 hours ago, Asterix said:

Transfer idea, seems reasonable. But I was under the assumption, that of a certain date, players can’t transfer etc or have I got that wrong over the years? 
But can see exactly what you’re saying. Already seen it on a couple of Senior players Twitters

31st March is the deadline under current league rules. Transfers and registration are still ‘live’ at the moment

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

On the other hand, might it be that these extra players would help complete the demanding number of games some teams might have?

True Dave and I have no problem with the rule of 2 Senior players playing to help out however due to the lockdown the 21 day rule of playing for a higher league side is out the window so their is no cap on numbers. This theoretically could allow a club to field an entire team made up of SWPL players in the Combo. The 50% rule in the Trelawny may prevent that but it’s something for the leagues to consider prior to re commencing (if we do at all)

Good Morning All,

If I was a player I’d be delighted to see football restart, but as a Manager, Chairman and Groundsman myself it is going to be difficult with all the COVID rules to still enforce and no changing rooms etc.
If it does restart I don’t think we can change the rules of who can sign and play , but keep the March 31st deadline. At St Cleer we currently have 5 players/ officials with pregnant partners so they will not want to take part so I think for all teams we can’t penalise who we have playing in our squads providing players are signed to the club. It could cause mayhem with “ringers” but if they’re signed then so be it.

Just thinking out loud, we also have a Duchy team who will need the pitch too so as far as that goes we have 43 games to sort between both teams

For me, rolling the season on into next would be the best option, takes the pressure off teams next season when the winter/COVID could strike again.

But I do also feel for teams like Parkway and Mount Gould who have dominated their leagues for 2 seasons and not gained promotion.

6 hours ago, Pitty said:

31st March is the deadline under current league rules. Transfers and registration are still ‘live’ at the moment

True Dave and I have no problem with the rule of 2 Senior players playing to help out however due to the lockdown the 21 day rule of playing for a higher league side is out the window so their is no cap on numbers. This theoretically could allow a club to field an entire team made up of SWPL players in the Combo. The 50% rule in the Trelawny may prevent that but it’s something for the leagues to consider prior to re commencing (if we do at all)

Ah I see so people best get transfers in ASAP. 
Would give a bit of a kick in the teeth to those, who don’t pull in any. But then, can only play what’s in front of you. 

Now that steps 3-6 have been cancelled, surely the sensible thing to do would be to cancel all league below as well or else as previously mentioned results will be distorted by teams using players from higher leagues just to win games. Yes all clubs could do the same , but lads in combo/east Cornwall and below all want to play football as well as the lads from higher leagues, and they will be the ones still at their clubs next season when others are back chasing the brown envelope.

Also if leagues above are cancelled but leagues below continue what would happen with regards to promotion and relegation? Call the season off and leave open the door for potential friendlies with teams that can offer covid secure facilities and want to play them without there being pressures.

Edited by DW2001
Dodgy spelling

For what's it's worth, here's our 2 pence.....

Wait for the mass vaccination role out to of had a proper effect with data being recorded of transmission etc. This season has been too inconsistent and stop/start to resume the season, as soon as measures and restrictions allow it just seems a little too early. 

It's been highlighted in a previous post that you can play on a pitch with 21 other players from a mixture of households, but then you can only meet one other household socially distanced outside? Also need to consider the amount of matches per week if the leagues do continue, thats 2 or 3 times more contact with other people! The stress of managers to maintain the health and safety of their players, the club volunteers who prepare the pitches each week, which will have more activity (its bound to rain come April) and all the cleaning required before and after games, equipment, changing rooms (if used) etc. Let's think about refs too who will have more exposure each week going to different clubs.

Would it not hurt to restart a fresh in August, the buzz will 100% be back (and the weather) and if rules permit perhaps let clubs start pre season earlier?

It's so easy to see it from both sides, but ultimately its down to keeping everyone safe. We can't wait for a return, we just want it when everyone will enjoy it! Personally I love this game and love helping to run a club, but having the opportunity to see my family again will always take president. The good times will return we just need to be patient. 

Just an opinion, right off to download the 100 episode of the soccer podcast ready to cut the pitch later...... Stay safe all

48 minutes ago, GSM_UTD said:

Wait for the mass vaccination role out to of had a proper effect with data being recorded of transmission etc. This season has been too inconsistent and stop/start to resume the season, as soon as measures and restrictions allow it just seems a little too early. 

It's been highlighted in a previous post that you can play on a pitch with 21 other players from a mixture of households, but then you can only meet one other household socially distanced outside? Also need to consider the amount of matches per week if the leagues do continue, thats 2 or 3 times more contact with other people! The stress of managers to maintain the health and safety of their players, the club volunteers who prepare the pitches each week, which will have more activity (its bound to rain come April) and all the cleaning required before and after games, equipment, changing rooms (if used) etc. Let's think about refs too who will have more exposure each week going to different clubs.

Would it not hurt to restart a fresh in August, the buzz will 100% be back (and the weather) and if rules permit perhaps let clubs start pre season earlier?

It's so easy to see it from both sides, but ultimately its down to keeping everyone safe. We can't wait for a return, we just want it when everyone will enjoy it! Personally I love this game and love helping to run a club, but having the opportunity to see my family again will always take president. The good times will return we just need to be patient. 

Just an opinion, right off to download the 100 episode of the soccer podcast ready to cut the pitch later...... Stay safe all

Its a great 100th episode, probably have time to cut in a few directions and a coat of paint on the dugouts 😂

1 hour ago, GSM_UTD said:

Excellent post...go to the top of the class.

Common sense must prevail.

On 24/02/2021 at 00:10, Postman Pat said:

Speaking for Redruth United. When the tin is taken around for contributions it’s amazing how many people say sorry I don’t have any money on me. Also do fewer people carry cash now since COVID started. And yes we do have a card machine.

personally feel season should be null and void. To answer Ralph’s question on mental health. What happens if we start the season play games and the get another spread and have to go into another lockdown. I know we all want to get football played but we’ve suffered this long so for the sake of 3 or 4 months let’s hold on and get rid for good. Then we can get pre season and friendlies going and start next season going properly. Or even hold tournaments in july to prepare for it.

Would also like to see what current players feel apart from us older members, not just Ralph and Dave.

I absolutely get what you’re saying Martin I really do. But who’s to say it will be gone in a couple months ? Could be for the foreseeable. I’m totally into getting it all cleared up etc, and as for my statement. Sometimes football is the only form of release for us, and just wish it was there for us to all play. It’s a shame, that this has been such a terrible situation. 
Lockdown has been tough for all of us. And I hope we’re all safe 

If the FA (which I think they have?) have agreed to play in June, why not knock this season on its head now, and start 2021-22 June 1st? Allowing a little more time for vaccinations, and give clubs and players more time to get ‘COVID’ ready including the much needed (some more than others 🤣) match fitness back up to where it should be after a longer than usual break from football? Teams that have cricket also on their grounds can easily be fixtured away until its playable at home? We could then start the season in Aug and avoid the normal midweek pile up of fixtures come April / may, and also allow a few blank fixture free weekends for the inevitable rain come winter which I am sure most Groundsmans would be delighted to see!

Will the CCFA have to reimburse the fees from the 2020-21 season? Offer a discount for the next season? What about all the players who mostly at this level pay a ‘signing on fee’ to many clubs, will clubs have to pay that back or reimburse them? Money which undoubtedly has already been spent on pitches and bills? A lot to consider for village volunteers, someone just needs to get a grip of it early and make a decision either way allowing plenty of time for clubs and committees to be able to plan a way ahead.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

On average how much would this be?

£20+ from what some have said, times that by all who have paid and the small amount of football they have played this season and many would be well within their rights to want it back? 

league and CCFA fees the same, even clubs insurance would be one I’d expect reimbursement considering it’s been out of the clubs hands they’ve not been able to play etc?

7 hours ago, Sijames said:

£20+ from what some have said, times that by all who have paid and the small amount of football they have played this season and many would be well within their rights to want it back? 

league and CCFA fees the same, even clubs insurance would be one I’d expect reimbursement considering it’s been out of the clubs hands they’ve not been able to play etc?

CCFA Affiliation for clubs and referees was free this season.

another urban myth developing. Just because football isn't happening doesn't mean to say the bills aren't still coming in. Nobody told grass about covid so it still grows. We at  Hayle are still paying out for insurance, gas, electric, telephone line, and general maintenance in anticipation of the season starting some time. Apart from the people generously paying their subs and a government grant, 9 out of the last 10 months income has been zilch and with outgoings of about £700 per month our reserves are suffering.

4 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

another urban myth developing. Just because football isn't happening doesn't mean to say the bills aren't still coming in. Nobody told grass about covid so it still grows. We at  Hayle are still paying out for insurance, gas, electric, telephone line, and general maintenance in anticipation of the season starting some time. Apart from the people generously paying their subs and a government grant, 9 out of the last 10 months income has been zilch and with outgoings of about £700 per month our reserves are suffering.

Great post Ieuan,  football is not free even when you are not playing! 

Everyone still wants their money. 

Redruth United do not have a signing on fee and until this season charged subs for both teams. This is difficult with our first team in St. Pirans league so decided not to collect subs from them but, the understanding was they had to fund raise to replace subs. It’s hard but we keep our heads above water and all through lockdown have been raising money every month. 
That said at present we don’t have the outgoings of clubs that own there grounds. But are working towards it hopefully in the future to get a long lease.