Cornwall Football Forum

Laffs is the new gaffer at St Blazey!

Good Luck to Phil ,Leeds Utd was right this time well done .St Blazey was a force this year and would of continued to be if they didnt balls things up ,I will definitly be down Blazey a lot when the football restarts i think Brokes and Eddy will go to Blazey but dont know if Slates will because Saltash will win more trophies than Blazey and a fully fit Liam Eddy will be a asset but what i have seen of him hes not the player he once was .Be interesting to see what sort of team Blazey have but it will certainly be a strong one with Mr Lafferty in charge . Hope they do well also hoping the G Stay up but they cant rely on Covid to keep them up again for a 2nd season .Football cant come back quick enough for me its bloody boring without it .

23 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Good Luck to Phil ,Leeds Utd was right this time well done .St Blazey was a force this year and would of continued to be if they didnt balls things up ,I will definitly be down Blazey a lot when the football restarts i think Brokes and Eddy will go to Blazey but dont know if Slates will because Saltash will win more trophies than Blazey and a fully fit Liam Eddy will be a asset but what i have seen of him hes not the player he once was .Be interesting to see what sort of team Blazey have but it will certainly be a strong one with Mr Lafferty in charge . Hope they do well also hoping the G Stay up but they cant rely on Covid to keep them up again for a 2nd season .Football cant come back quick enough for me its bloody boring without it .

Got lots of respect for Laffs but dont think its great players jumping ship from other clubs no loyalty and Blazey obviously have the money shame they dont tidy up there ground

On 06/02/2021 at 17:53, oliveoil said:

Got lots of respect for Laffs but dont think its great players jumping ship from other clubs no loyalty and Blazey obviously have the money shame they dont tidy up there ground

Can you please explain your last few words?

Edited by Outsider

9 hours ago, oliveoil said:

Players chasing money and last time i was at Blasie Park needed some TLC

What actually needs to be done?   The playing area is in excellent condition thanks to Paul. Good large stand and covered area. Good clubhouse. I cannot understand what needs TLC.

Yes, when were you last there?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Think you’ll probably find players will be turning down more money elsewhere to go to play for Phil Lafferty. I suspect more than a few managers will be worried that a bloke with his reputation and pull is back in the local game. 

I think the pull is the money Matt! 😂😂

Regardless if Phil can get them top of the tree & set the standard which I'm sure he will then its down to the rest to aspire to that level or source a better commercial department. Either way it's down to whoever is top for the rest to catch

Laffs return to Blaise Park will undoubtedly be easier than his previous involvement as assistant to Glynn Hooper. The Committee has changed somewhat. I don’t know who their sugar daddy is nowadays but I hope the longer serving officers/members have equally long memories! 
Personally, I wish him, and the Club the very best of luck.

Just a question, really, for those who know Mr Lafferty’s background far more than me. He is an exceptionally well regarded manager / coach in local football and has had great success, but has that been through bringing together a squad of ‘marque’ players, obviously at a cost - or through developing players to make great teams? I only ask with the rumours as to who may go to St Blazey, as most of the names mentioned are the same old names (good players though they are/were) that appear every year who seem to jump to the best paying team - or perhaps he is the type or manager who looks to ‘build’ a great squad. I mean disrespect to any involved - just wondering what to expect at Blaize Park when we finally resume.

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

You don't always need money to put together a good team. Laffs is a good judge of players and the way the game should be played. It will be interesting to see what happens when football restarts.

Oh you do need money..... Although spending it isn't a guarantee of success. 

BUT almost all good players will know their worth

4 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Just a question, really, for those who know Mr Lafferty’s background far more than me. He is an exceptionally well regarded manager / coach in local football and has had great success, but has that been through bringing together a squad of ‘marque’ players, obviously at a cost - or through developing players to make great teams? I only ask with the rumours as to who may go to St Blazey, as most of the names mentioned are the same old names (good players though they are/were) that appear every year who seem to jump to the best paying team - or perhaps he is the type or manager who looks to ‘build’ a great squad. I mean disrespect to any involved - just wondering what to expect at Blaize Park when we finally resume.

Only thing I know is that it will be a totally different squad to last season, with all the players sticking with the departing managers to go onto pastures new. Can’t see any of the 2nd team moving up. He can only try and get the best players that the budget allows. 

14 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Very Shrewd appointment by Phi£ getting Lee Phillips on board. With Lees Connections with the Saltash players, plus Phi£ being able to tap in to Glyn Hooper for promising youngsters, with an competitive budget I can see St. Blazey favourites to win the title next season. 

And if not I’m sure you’ll criticise them to hell and back as usual!

5 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

And if not I’m sure you’ll criticise them to hell and back as usual!

Yawn Bruegel.

I think what St. Blazey have done should be highly commended, brought in someone who can bring back the good name of the football club, & take it away from the 'pub' set up where 'anything goes' in previous years.

Obviously with Phi£s resources they will be very very competitive but I'm sure if you were to ask any 'local' football follower that question they would all agree. Good luck to the man, & St. Blazey 👍

Must have some budget there if he has agreed to take on the role.

Might be wrong but sure he’s only managed 1 team whose budget was through the roof for the period he was in charge, that said, he deliver success so deserves credit there.

Is getting Lee Philips in is a master stroke to? Don't get me wrong, was a great player and will give experience but claims are he used to walk out on regular occasions when at Saltash.

Be interesting to see how many players come via a Glynn Hooper connection, likely you might see a lot of Cornwall schools players in the squad with a few older heads who are currently on the peninsula circuit.

• 4 weeks later...

2 great signings just need to get Ollie Brocks there as well now ,see Lewis Phillips has left Blazey and gone to Marjons i saw him play severel times an dhes a great player .Looking forward to getting to Blazey and watching them play in Pre season i expect they should have some good friendlies maybe Plymouth because Ryan Lowe said he will always bring his team to play in Cornwall well he wont be bringing them to Truro this year so Blazey maybe but be Bodmin i expect .

On 20/03/2021 at 15:54, Footballlover442 said:

The old town squad getting back together with laffs at the helm, gonna be a strong side that's for sure 

Whilst Slateford, Reiski and Brokes (if he goes) were without doubt extremely good players, their best days are very much behind them.

If Mr Lafferty thinks he’s adding quality in their form, it’s going to be a long season.

Said earlier in this topic, he’s better to be tapping Glyn Hooper up for the best younger players coming through.

11 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Whilst Slateford, Reiski and Brokes (if he goes) were without doubt extremely good players, their best days are very much behind them.

If Mr Lafferty thinks he’s adding quality in their form, it’s going to be a long season.

Said earlier in this topic, he’s better to be tapping Glyn Hooper up for the best younger players coming through.

I think some of the names mentioned including will Tinsley and Jordan dingle  are some of the best players in this league. And would probably get in most sides in the league above aswell. Laffs needs to get a strong core in place and have youth to go along side that much as st austell did last season keeping a few older heads and promoting young talented lads into the first team

Laffs will know what he's doing and he'll put together a very strong squad I'd be very surprised if they don't get at least top 3

• 2 months later...