Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Recommended Posts

Waiting for directions from above; the National Leagues Committee will decide upon SWPL's future, with Cornwall FA in charge of the rest. I assume all the local Leagues will be consulted by CCFA before any decisions are made and the Leagues themselves are able to consult with the clubs.

The difficulty is, we have no idea when football can start again, nor what sort of restrictions or conditions will be imposed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, coady-9 said:

Is there any news on what is going to happen to this season I know there is no answers to when we can start again but surely a decision on what is going to happen has to be told to the clubs soon? 

Annoying isn't it Craig,we want to try n sort drainage on our pitch but in a minute it'll be too late to start

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, John Mead said:

Waiting for directions from above; the National Leagues Committee will decide upon SWPL's future, with Cornwall FA in charge of the rest. I assume all the local Leagues will be consulted by CCFA before any decisions are made and the Leagues themselves are able to consult with the clubs.

The difficulty is, we have no idea when football can start again, nor what sort of restrictions or conditions will be imposed.

Why down to CCFA? 
 

Surely down to each league to decide?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Why down to CCFA? 
 

Surely down to each league to decide?

CCFA sanction all Leagues in Cornwall which are not sanctioned by the FA. They have the responsibility to ensure that all regulations, restrictions and safety measures are in place to allow a restart. The Leagues will also have their say on how they would wish to conclude this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely each league has an idea of a plan by now... clubs have to be told what the intentions are so they can decide on what to do about pitch maintenance etc which, whilst football continuing still remains an option, must be continued at cost to each club. 
surely no one now seriously believes the leagues can be played out to a conclusion by may 31, so the options remain as they were back in December .... 1. null and void (considering that’s been tried and found lacking as a solution) thus placing us in the same position as previously, 

2. Pause the season now and rollover to next season restarting as usual in August 

3. Points per game retaining promotion and relegation either decided now or after whatever matches eventually get played by May.

In my opinion the only solution that allows clubs to act and move on effectively is the 2nd. It allows games still to be arranged if clubs or leagues wish in some format (friendlies, short-form cups, etc) whilst allowing a fair and evenly contested end to the league in 2022. Those clubs that would prefer to do grounds works instead can do so starting early....whilst we avoid confusion, extra costs and disruption to those clubs that wish to continue playing.

plus a decision could be made now....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, countyman said:

Surely each league has an idea of a plan by now... clubs have to be told what the intentions are so they can decide on what to do about pitch maintenance etc which, whilst football continuing still remains an option, must be continued at cost to each club. 
surely no one now seriously believes the leagues can be played out to a conclusion by may 31, so the options remain as they were back in December .... 1. null and void (considering that’s been tried and found lacking as a solution) thus placing us in the same position as previously, 

2. Pause the season now and rollover to next season restarting as usual in August 

3. Points per game retaining promotion and relegation either decided now or after whatever matches eventually get played by May.

In my opinion the only solution that allows clubs to act and move on effectively is the 2nd. It allows games still to be arranged if clubs or leagues wish in some format (friendlies, short-form cups, etc) whilst allowing a fair and evenly contested end to the league in 2022. Those clubs that would prefer to do grounds works instead can do so starting early....whilst we avoid confusion, extra costs and disruption to those clubs that wish to continue playing.

plus a decision could be made now....

 

 

The problem is Countyman that legally a precedent was set last season by FA and CCFA to void the season.

if a new set of rules are put in place this season then clubs like Helston and Penryn would have the right to challenge the decision previously made when they were top of their respective leagues.

Unfortunately the only option is to keep continuity and void league and all have a fresh safe start next season.

The biggest thing is that whatever decision is made....the safety of all players, officials and supporters needs to paramount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finish the season now, too dangerous to resume for me.

Our last game despite all precautions taken 6 people tested positive over the next week!!!

20,000 new cases yesterday, another 1,000+ deaths, the virus has not gone anywhere yet, its sitting there just waiting for a crowd of people to infect.

And that's indoors and out, there's hotspots all over Cornwall and some want to go tripping around for a kick about...bonkers.

The CCFA have no option but to end the season now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Just finish the season now, too dangerous to resume for me.

Our last game despite all precautions taken 6 people tested positive over the next week!!!

20,000 new cases yesterday, another 1,000+ deaths, the virus has not gone anywhere yet, its sitting there just waiting for a crowd of people to infect.

And that's indoors and out, theres hotspots all over Cornwall and some want to go tripping around for a kick about...bonkers.

The CCFA have no option but to end the season now.

Totally agree older, like I said in my post, but it’s what to do then ... taking the easy decision to “end” still leaves the question of how to progress. 
 

Fish, no rules were made and no precedent set other than its now an option. However null and voiding would leave us with a full season to attempt to complete ... again... whilst uncertain times still lie ahead for next autumn and winter. Surely better to have more time to complete a competitive league season as well as leave the door open for cup fixtures by rolling over? 
 

but I think everyone would agree that we need a decision now rather than just constantly waiting to “see how things go”....

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, countyman said:

Totally agree older, like I said in my post, but it’s what to do then ... taking the easy decision to “end” still leaves the question of how to progress. 
 

Fish, no rules were made and no precedent set other than its now an option. However null and voiding would leave us with a full season to attempt to complete ... again... whilst uncertain times still lie ahead for next autumn and winter. Surely better to have more time to complete a competitive league season as well as leave the door open for cup fixtures by rolling over? 
 

but I think everyone would agree that we need a decision now rather than just constantly waiting to “see how things go”....

Certainly there is a lot of value in finishing this season when it is safe to do so.

Chuck in a couple of cup competitions to make up the gap in league fixtures.

Do we really want to go back to changing outside, or 6 in 6 out, sterilising endlessly, standing behind screens, meals at tables etc.

We did all that and still got infected!

Just lucky it never killed someone...what would we all think then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you Dave, we aren't going to get a decision any time soon I don't think, hope I'm wrong, but, in the meantime keep the pitches ready just in case. Coming up to a good time for pitches with warmer weather coming on and hopefully a bit of damp to help things along. Although not the amount of rain we've had recently, spring flush just around the corner guys

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

I'm with you Dave, we aren't going to get a decision any time soon I don't think, hope I'm wrong, but, in the meantime keep the pitches ready just in case. Coming up to a good time for pitches with warmer weather coming on and hopefully a bit of damp to help things along. Although not the amount of rain we've had recently, spring flush just around the corner guys

Spring flush slowly started here Ieuan, one benefit of the south coast we do warm up earlier than over your way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure most, if not all Leagues have a plan B to provide some sort of competitive football if this season is declared null and void - or even rolled over. However, until we are told WHEN it's safe to play again and what restrictions go along with that, nothing can be decided nor finalised. I know it's frustrating but it would be even worse if hope turns into despair because nothing can happen!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mead said:

I'm sure most, if not all Leagues have a plan B to provide some sort of competitive football if this season is declared null and void - or even rolled over. However, until we are told WHEN it's safe to play again and what restrictions go along with that, nothing can be decided nor finalised. I know it's frustrating but it would be even worse if hope turns into despair because nothing can happen!

Just roll it over, it will be months before it's "safe" for ALL groups to attend football matches. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For goodness sake, make your own decisions. If your pitch needs improvement which will render it unplayable until next season, get on with it, nobody’s going to sanction you for upgrading your facilities in these uncertain times.

Take the risk, preempt the powers that be, There will be no more league games this season, the only decisions to be made revolve around what to do about the half-season now finished and the season yet to come, along with the unknown consequences of future mutations!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of weeks ago the FA sent out a survey to league officials in the grassroots game which asked for their leagues opinions on three options and an opportunity to suggest any other proposals on how to end the season so I would hope that all of the leagues and member clubs have expressed their opinions.  The options were:

1.      Aim to complete the 2020/21 season by the end of May (or extended to 30th June if needed) depending on the restart date post lockdown.
2.     The 2020/21 season should be terminated immediately, and either declared null and void or decided via points per game.
3.     The 2020/21 season should be suspended, with a restart planned for August 2021. The aim would then be to complete the current 2020/21 season between August                  2021 and May 2022, regardless of any impact on the 2021/22 season.

This survey runs in tandem with a couple of other things, the survey of the NLS clubs to determine how to close out their season (which seems to be taking an age to get to any sort of decision) and the impact of that decision on the Feeder Leagues.  The decision made by the  Committees at Step 3-6 would not bind the Feeder Leagues into that decision but may have an impact on promotion applications from Feeder Leagues.  Once the decision is made the FA will advise the options for Feeder Leagues and their 2020-21 season accordingly.  This is relevant as their could be impacts on the ECPL, Combination, Duchy and Trelawny leagues as the consequences roll down (or not) and will play into the 'what do we do now' discussion.

Who knows where we will end up.  Ultimately it has to be safe to return to football, or any other sport, and the situation is very fluid but thankfully moving in the right direction.  Only when decisions further up the food chain in government and the FA have been made, whenever that may be, will an informed decision be able to be made as to what to do at the local level and I'm sure meetings will take place at that point.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Option one is already almost redundant and certainly will be by the time they get round to make a decision. Option two is patently unfair as those at the wrong end of the table could be seriously impacted by already playing the top three twice while those around that have avoided all of them. Option three I’ve been advocating since last year. It’s not rocket science, powers that be, get on with it, make a decision so the rest of us can get on and make plans!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Option 3 is as plain as the nose on your face to me.

Finish the season with winners and losers as sportsmen and women play to win. Not to sit idly by.

If continually voiding a season continues an awful lot of players, supporters and volunteers will simply walk away and find other things to do, many have already. 

To try and finish it through May and possibly into June would be a nightmare of fixtures clashing with many other things at that time of the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...