Cornwall Football Forum

Modern life

fenman

I'm unfortunate in liking minority sports and  having   a dislike of modern music , films and most t.v. programmes particularly the obsession with " celebrity " . However I do have my health so I'm grateful for that . Also being a Wolves fan their present lack of form is made even worse by reading the comments on the B.B.C. website made by the forum members following their games . The same I'm sure applies to other  teams fans when they read comments about their team on the site .

My question is , have people always been like this ? or is it a creation of the modern age . In other words , has the access to the media to broadcast ones comments led to the creation of semi literate morons or have they been underground ?.

What kind of people post racist , vulgar comments about footballers on social media ?  Can any intelligent person justify himself by making these comments , what sick pleasure do they get ?  How many people get pleasure in reading them ?

I say footballers but it applies to all sorts of people and it must have a bad effect on young people to suffer abuse on social media . 

Apologies for disjointed post but I'm trying to type and speak on the phone at the same time .

No Fenman, the semi-literate morons have always been here. Fifty years ago you would have heard them on the terraces shouting and “singing” their foul mouthed chants. However then, there was nowhere to put them into “print”, writing to newspapers or fanzines would get them censored or discarded.

It’s the same with the far right morons, ex-presidents of the US etc., the digital age has brought wonderful benefits but as you’ve identified there is a downside that we have to try to ignore.

Trying to get Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. to moderate their content is a losing battle, like whackamole you knock one down and two others pop up to replace it!

we just have to concentrate on the good and positive uses of the interweb, like the Cornwall Football Forum! 

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

No Fenman, the semi-literate morons have always been here. Fifty years ago you would have heard them on the terraces shouting and “singing” their foul mouthed chants. However then, there was nowhere to put them into “print”, writing to newspapers or fanzines would get them censored or discarded.

It’s the same with the far right morons, ex-presidents of the US etc., the digital age has brought wonderful benefits but as you’ve identified there is a downside that we have to try to ignore.

Trying to get Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. to moderate their content is a losing battle, like whackamole you knock one down and two others pop up to replace it!

we just have to concentrate on the good and positive uses of the interweb, like the Cornwall Football Forum! 

Agree with you Bruegel. These people have always been amongst us, but social media has made it easier for them to broadcast their views and join up with like minded others to legitimise their thoughts. 

We undoubtedly have come a long way in terms in terms of racism and homophobia, and most people believe this to be wrong and abhorrent. I still shudder though when I think of Argyle fans aiming monkey chants at their own black players back in the early eighties. 

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Surely the administrators/heads of the various social media, should be made to ban these demonised individuals. If they refuse, as have Twitter in ignoring the police, they should be permanently closed down. 

As I said above Keith, Social Media accounts are easier to put up than take down, you can ban them as much as you like but they’ll be back in seconds under a different name so it’s almost impossible to find the individuals let alone ban/charge them.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

These individuals are not ''nothing'' older - although we know what you mean. These people are dangerous in that they cause mental stress to other human beings and, to the extent that some have taken their own lives. They are reckless as to the harm and hurt they cause. They should be rooted out and severely punished. Massive fines and imprisonment and being banned from all social media, would be my remedy.

Of course these are the same individuals who attend antivaxer and anti lockdown demonstrations beating up the Police and anyone else who gets in their way.

7 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I'd bring back hanging.

Hanging’s too good for them!

I think , or should I say I believe , that celebrities , footballers and many " ordinary " people have such big ego's that they thrive on social media . It's a form of mental illness , they need to inform people of who they are and what they are doing . Logically anyone suffering abuse on social media would stop using it , if it hurts when you stick a garden fork in you foot you stop doing it , but their ego won't allow them to stop using it . 

Like most people  I take people for what they are ,  regardless of colour , religion or sexual persuasion , to me they are just people . Unfortunately a number of people don't think that way , some keep their thoughts to themselves others have to broadcast them via abuse , action or use of social media . I've worked with a small number of these people  and most of them think it's clever and can see no wrong in it . On a minor level , to illustrate my point , I was talking to a woman in a newsagents one day , as I went back to the car , my colleague ( I shudder to call him that but I can't think of another word ) said " why were you laughing and joking with her , she's f******  ugly ?" I said  " she's a very nice woman , I always have a chat and joke with her " . He disagreed and said that he didn't speak to women he regarded as ugly . Pointless discussing it with him , but in his eyes it was the correct way to be , ironically he was no oil panting himself .  His opinion of other races  is unprintable  , but his is the mentality of these people who make monkey chants and write abuse , they see no wrong in it , which is very sad really .

Unfortunately there is another side of the coin where there are people who are so sensitive  that they take offence at the slightest thing and convert it into a sexual or racist issue and you wonder if in the future people won't speak to each for fear of upsetting them . Some people don't grasp either that workers in some jobs use " black humour " to relieve the stress of the job they are doing . They make remarks and comments to each other  and throw " mock " abuse at each other . No offence is taken and none is meant because it's verbal  and they know each other . This is different to abuse sent to , or written about  a total stranger . Those of you have worked in the military , Police , Fire or medical services will know what I mean .

Referring to punishment , I often wonder why the mainland isn't as strict as the Isle of Man on sentencing . They've been handing out 4 week sentences to Covid breakers , God knows what they would dish out to anyone making racist comments of social media . 

I've been over there a few times and you're given do and don't letters on arrival at the airport or sea port about traffic rules and parking .You commit any criminal offence over there and you're caught  they show no mercy .

One final thing as the sun bursts through on a wet soggy Norfolk , what is an influencer ? is it as important as a plumber or electrician ? .