Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The Roman Abramovich system of continually changing managers does appear to work though. That's 14 that have been sacked since 2004, but they have delivered 16 major trophies in this time ( 5 x Premier Leagues, 5 x FA Cups, 3 x League Cups, 1 x Champions League, 2 x Europa Leagues). 


As a fully paid up member of the Kremlin Mafia, Abramovich must be well versed in removing underperformers. It does rather encourage swift results for replacement managers who appreciate the use of his short term contracts. At least in this country ex-managers can walk away once sacked!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:


As a fully paid up member of the Kremlin Mafia, Abramovich must be well versed in removing underperformers. It does rather encourage swift results for replacement managers who appreciate the use of his short term contracts. At least in this country ex-managers can walk away once sacked!

And with handsome severance payments too Bruegel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:


As a fully paid up member of the Kremlin Mafia, Abramovich must be well versed in removing underperformers. It does rather encourage swift results for replacement managers who appreciate the use of his short term contracts. At least in this country ex-managers can walk away once sacked!

And wealthy...very wealthy!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 20:54, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And wealthy...very wealthy!!!

Sam Allardyce always strikes me as having quite a nice life. Reclines in the sun somewhere in the world, buttressed by his latest sacking pay off, starts taking an interest in the English football scene around November when a twitchy chairman starts to get alarmed by relegation, gets a new job in time for the January transfer window, either keeps them up or shows enough to convince the chairman to keep them around for next season's promotion attempt, gets sacked after about 10 league games when it goes wrong. Takes payout, retires to the Costa Del Ex Manager for a spell, awaits the phone call for his next job in December..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Sam Allardyce always strikes me as having quite a nice life. Reclines in the sun somewhere in the world, buttressed by his latest sacking pay off, starts taking an interest in the English football scene around November when a twitchy chairman starts to get alarmed by relegation, gets a new job in time for the January transfer window, either keeps them up or shows enough to convince the chairman to keep them around for next season's promotion attempt, gets sacked after about 10 league games when it goes wrong. Takes payout, retires to the Costa Del Ex Manager for a spell, awaits the phone call for his next job in December..

Think you've got that spot on WOTP. Failed managers seem to be on a gravy train somehow - nice work (work ?) if you can get on that train.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Lampard had been linked with the vacant Bournemouth coaching job, along with Henry and David Wagner. Now Bournemouth have decided to keep Jonathan Woodgate until season's end. All bets are off. 

Will be interesting to see how things go at Bournemouth. Nice job for the right person. The Russian owner still seems prepared to spend money. Bournemouth's a nice place to live ie, seaside town, plenty of money around and of course the millionaires playground of Sandbanks ( as well as Harry, I notice that Graham Souness now lives there and apparently has a season ticket at the Vitality Stadium - I prefer to call it Dean Court). 

We will see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard was indeed linked with the vacancy, but I also read he wanted time away from the game. To chase Thierry Henry as was also rumoured was surely a case of Bournemouth hierarchy getting a tad carried away with themselves. Notwithstanding he might have settled into the millionaire lifestyle of Sandbanks, lack of knowledge and experience in the Championship would have found him out. 

Woodgate’s appointment by out going boss Jason Tindall was very much strange given that the pair of them barely knew each other (according to Woodgate). His record at Middlesbrough was not over impressive and despite having made a reasonable enough start in the job, he does still remain a gamble appointment.

That said, it is good to see a club invest in a young British appointment.

incidentally, in addition to the Sandbanks residents you have mentioned, you can add Tony Pulis who lives a few minutes down the road in Hamworthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 12:03, Joe1970Johnson said:

Lampard was indeed linked with the vacancy, but I also read he wanted time away from the game. To chase Thierry Henry as was also rumoured was surely a case of Bournemouth hierarchy getting a tad carried away with themselves. Notwithstanding he might have settled into the millionaire lifestyle of Sandbanks, lack of knowledge and experience in the Championship would have found him out. 

Woodgate’s appointment by out going boss Jason Tindall was very much strange given that the pair of them barely knew each other (according to Woodgate). His record at Middlesbrough was not over impressive and despite having made a reasonable enough start in the job, he does still remain a gamble appointment.

That said, it is good to see a club invest in a young British appointment.

incidentally, in addition to the Sandbanks residents you have mentioned, you can add Tony Pulis who lives a few minutes down the road in Hamworthy.

Hamworthy - the last time I was in, or drove through Hamworthy, it was nowhere near the same class an area as Sandbanks Joe. Must have changed a lot from what you are saying ?

That said, it's been quite a few years since I was there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...