Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Communication to FA

Just saw on social media 

South West Peninsula League (Step 6) Board have just written to the English FA stating “It’s our belief that it is neither safe of practical to resume football this season” “The Board unanimously agree that it should not look to reschedule league games between now and 31st May 2021”

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1352904152226164737?s=20

• Richard Chown changed the title to SWPL Communication to FA

I don't think the league are exactly coming out with cancelling it. In fact because of the games played considerably more than some of their sister leagues in the NLS, I would imagine Phil would be quite happy rolling it over. Less work for him fixture wise for August onwards!

The league have said that this reply to the FA was prompted before the survey: "Unlike some other leagues, it was written BEFORE the survey, but in light of that survey its publication was blocked until AFTER the survey closed. We have no view on rolling over the season or null & void - strong belief that the majority of clubs must choose which."

I don't think anyone will be surprised this season is finished...surely!

Season finished and play cup competitions...bonkers...then you would be just as well  finish the season...no chance in my world. 

Just look at the risk factors to all involved,  way to risky for a game of football. 

Roll the season over - there's some merit in that.

Let's get real 000,s are dying and some still want a game of football, who would referee it for starters?

My guess...no one.

Keep our distances, stay safe...then play football. 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Seems bit premature to just cancel the league.  Surly could have just waited to end of February to see what the situation was 

you could have situation now where football starts again other leagues continue  and the peninsula league players are just sat around 

Too bad.

3 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

Just saw on social media 

South West Peninsula League (Step 6) Board have just written to the English FA stating “It’s our belief that it is neither safe of practical to resume football this season” “The Board unanimously agree that it should not look to reschedule league games between now and 31st May 2021”

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1352904152226164737?s=20

An easy way out for the league officials!

The only decision that could have been made. Very disappointing, but we are in the middle of a public health and humanitarian disaster. We simply should not be playing football in the middle of this (not even professionally in my opinion).

Sadly, can still see there being problems with an August 2021 restart.

The main reason it's been cancelled is they know they will not be able to finish the season by the time its deemed safe to restart....and restart with crowds and bars open. 

The idea of some cups is a great idea if footy is safe and practical by end of march (we don't really know if it will or not) 

I feel the league have realised that struggling on without either crowds or sustainable income is an insurmountable hurdle. 

I agree with what I've read from Bodmin Mr. Bowker that players mental health will suffer... And is an important factor. 

What I will say is that the peninsula league led by Mr. Hiscox always seem to lead the way to make it clear what will happen... AND WHY

1 minute ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You may have a problem with that Al...they are all happy people.

Do you reckon? I have seen some at matches in the past and they look the most miserable in the world.

14 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Get in there AL, You’ve got my vote (well OK, you would have if I had one)!

Thanks.

21 hours ago, BIG AL said:

They can now do nothing and still get paid!

20 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Oh you can assume that they will not do this for nothing!!

BIG AL,

As a league offical of The SWPL Board I can confirm neither I or the majority of board members get paid. In fact, although entitled, the majority also wavier the right to claim personally encountered expenses.  

As all member clubs will be aware, both the league Treasurer & Referee Officer do receive a small a honorarium, whilst Phil Hiscox gets rewarded for 18 hours a week from an annual grant received from the National Leagues Dept of the FA. From what I have witnessed, the small rewards received by each of these officers falls into insignificance of the dedication and the many hours they commit to their respective roles. 

To add to above, let's not forget the majority of board members also volunteer many hours of their time towards supporting their own clubs, in addition to having family and work commitments

Finally may I add that I personally find your comments on this forum unhelpful towards encouraging the many volunteers who give up so much of their valuable time towards supporting local grassroots football. Perhaps during this difficult and challenging time, some positive words of encouragement and support would be more welcome and helpful. 

Regards

Paul Hendy

Helston Athletic Football Club           

5 minutes ago, Blues Chairman said:

BIG AL,

As a league offical of The SWPL Board I can confirm neither I or the majority of board members get paid. In fact, although entitled, the majority also wavier the right to claim personally encountered expenses.  

As all member clubs will be aware, both the league Treasurer & Referee Officer do receive a small a honorarium, whilst Phil Hiscox gets rewarded for 18 hours a week from an annual grant received from the National Leagues Dept of the FA. From what I have witnessed, the small rewards received by each of these officers falls into insignificance of the dedication and the many hours they commit to their respective roles. 

To add to above, let's not forget the majority of board members also volunteer many hours of their time towards supporting their own clubs, in addition to having family and work commitments

Finally may I add that I personally find your comments on this forum unhelpful towards encouraging the many volunteers who give up so much of their valuable time towards supporting local grassroots football. Perhaps during this difficult and challenging time, some positive words of encouragement and support would be more welcome and helpful. 

Regards

Paul Hendy

Helston Athletic Football Club           

I will show respect when it is warranted. Thank you.

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

I have not found a situation yet where it is. Do you ever show respect?

The problem is, Big Al is that you show little respect for anyone on this forum or the clubs, officials or ordinary supporters of teams within SWPL. You admit you've not been in a ground for years. 

And in these days whereby mental health is being championed by official organisations including the FA in London and social media there is increasing concerns and legal actions being taken against people whilst allowing for opinions - consistent wind ups isn't funny, clever and is damaging. 

Personally, if the forum organisation had some guts on here - find the IP address and just block Big Al once and for all. I don't think he'd be missed and the debate could continue without the "oh Heck not again feeling".

2 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

The problem is, Big Al is that you show little respect for anyone on this forum or the clubs, officials or ordinary supporters of teams within SWPL. You admit you've not been in a ground for years. 

And in these days whereby mental health is being championed by official organisations including the FA in London and social media there is increasing concerns and legal actions being taken against people whilst allowing for opinions - consistent wind ups isn't funny, clever and is damaging. 

Personally, if the forum organisation had some guts on here - find the IP address and just block Big Al once and for all. I don't think he'd be missed and the debate could continue without the "oh Heck not again feeling".

I watched both St Dennis and Sticker in the last couple of years. Everyone has different opinions.

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Yes and no, he is a disrespectful **** but if we look a little deeper we must ask: Why.

As you say the F.A. in London is indeed championing mental health and I think we all ought to look for those afflicted in our own environment; at work, amongst our neighbours and, yes, even on line.

While it is not my place to suggest that any individual is suffering ill health, if there is even the slightest chance of someone being isolated and vulnerable, the last thing one should do is to remove their support system, no matter how much they abuse it.

10 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Yes and no, he is a disrespectful **** but if we look a little deeper we must ask: Why.

As you say the F.A. in London is indeed championing mental health and I think we all ought to look for those afflicted in our own environment; at work, amongst our neighbours and, yes, even on line.

While it is not my place to suggest that any individual is suffering ill health, if there is even the slightest chance of someone being isolated and vulnerable, the last thing one should do is to remove their support system, no matter how much they abuse it.

If it was once or twice then I'd agree.

But its nearly every thread, multiple times, several times a week. 

If its authority- he starts. If its something perfectly reasonable he starts. All with generally false statements. During the start of last lockdown he was banned from posting as what he was stating was not only false but dangerous. 

Theres a solution. But the forum owners aren't or don't have the courage to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

If it was once or twice then I'd agree.

But its nearly every thread, multiple times, several times a week. 

If its authority- he starts. If its something perfectly reasonable he starts. All with generally false statements. During the start of last lockdown he was banned from posting as what he was stating was not only false but dangerous. 

Theres a solution. But the forum owners aren't or don't have the courage to deal with. 

The solution is in our own hands.

Just post "don't be daft Al" and leave it at that.

Unless of course his posts start to improve. 

I guess it’s a choice between abandoning the league season and nullifying all results to start again with a new 2021/22 season, or to look at ways to continue this season in the late summer as a 2020/22 combined season. To make a decision like that you need to factor in lots of current unknowns, such as speed and efficacy of the vaccine regime, risks of mutations (in the virus rather than the players), the machinations of Boris and his cohorts, etc., etc. 
All this information is still the subject of research by Virologists and any conjecture is as yet just speculation. It’s doing nobody any harm to wait a couple of months for a decision until things are clearer since the F.A. and league coordinators know that they’ll be slated whatever they decide.

If the premiership players can catch it with all of their precautions what chance local football.

The age group for vaccinations at this level is months away.

And. Although vaccination gives you limited protection it does not stop you transmitting it to those not innoculated yet...so what chance 1, 2, 3, 4 hundred in a local football match? Would be playing roulette with peoples lives.

6 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

If the premiership players can catch it with all of their precautions what chance local football.

The age group for vaccinations at this level is months away.

And. Although vaccination gives you limited protection it does not stop you transmitting it to those not innoculated yet...so what chance 1, 2, 3, 4 hundred in a local football match? Would be playing roulette with peoples lives.

As I suggested above, not playing football at local levels until it’s safe is the easy decision. Working out when it will be safe and the likelihood of further disruption, that is hard. So hard that the Governments advisers can’t do it yet, what chance the FA/Leagues at National, let alone local, level!