Cornwall Football Forum

Devon Football League Vacancies

I see the the Devon Football League are inviting applications to join for 2021/22 season. 
Is this the opportunity for the 2 Plymouth based sides playing in ECPL - Mt Gould (who are tearing up the ECPL) and Marjons Reserves - to progress to the next level as there is no current way they can progress out of ECPL via direct promotion?

It would certainly solve a longstanding anomaly, and might persuade Cornwall F.A. and their constituent leagues to give mid to lower level football the shake-up it so clearly needs.

The changes made by the introduction of the Peninsula/St. Piran leagues has left confusion amongst the various lower leagues (some run as fiercely independent fiefdoms) which needs to be sorted into a proper feeder structure with clear promotion and relegation lines.

I don’t know who is brave or powerful enough to carry it through, but it sure needs doing!

While you’re right about the system in the west, the E.C.P.L. and its relationship with leagues both above and below, leaves more than a little to be desired (not that I would apportion blame to any individual or group involved).

However, I was hoping that the introduction of the new senior leagues would filter down to improvement below but that might have been too much (to expect) too soon, since part of the problem is the imbalance across Cornwall as a whole which would need new lines to be drawn to even up the two parts of the county.

Having the advantage of hindsight of the problems in introducing the Peninsula leagues, now might be the opportunity to spend a bit of time on Zoom to revamp the entire C.F.A. area into a fully integrated system.

Nobody is going to particularly like it, since it involves major change and hard work, but Cornish football will be greatly improved since parts of the current system are clearly not fit for purpose!

46 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

While you’re right about the system in the west, the E.C.P.L. and its relationship with leagues both above and below, leaves more than a little to be desired (not that I would apportion blame to any individual or group involved).

However, I was hoping that the introduction of the new senior leagues would filter down to improvement below but that might have been too much (to expect) too soon, since part of the problem is the imbalance across Cornwall as a whole which would need new lines to be drawn to even up the two parts of the county.

Having the advantage of hindsight of the problems in introducing the Peninsula leagues, now might be the opportunity to spend a bit of time on Zoom to revamp the entire C.F.A. area into a fully integrated system.

Nobody is going to particularly like it, since it involves major change and hard work, but Cornish football will be greatly improved since parts of the current system are clearly not fit for purpose!

Oh please start a new topic with your ideas of a new structure and geography. Should be a winner.

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I'm sure the ECPL would agree that there's nothing wrong with the relationship between them and St Piran.  We share some officials, have always had amicable discussions when we need to chat and have clear promotion/relegation arrangements.

That isn’t my argument Steve, what I’m trying to say is that the west and east of the county don’t mirror each other, both in terms of geographical spread of the teams and the size of the leagues and divisions. Things may be improving now but for many years individual leagues have been fiercely independent in their structures and rules. All I’m saying is that we need a level playing field (unlike Bodmins as Older will attest!).

As time goes on improvements will be made. The ECPL Rules need to be re-written but any amendments won't come into effect until a 21/22 season anyway, as rule changes can't be implemented in the middle of a season. Hopefully I can get them edited to modernise all the detail, one example being player registrations and transfers via the WGS. As you can imagine, last summer wasn't ideal for much progression with the only communication being via email rather than face to face at AGMs and so on. I'm sure any ideas would be welcomed if anyone has any.

6 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

That isn’t my argument Steve, what I’m trying to say is that the west and east of the county don’t mirror each other, both in terms of geographical spread of the teams and the size of the leagues and divisions. Things may be improving now but for many years individual leagues have been fiercely independent in their structures and rules. All I’m saying is that we need a level playing field (unlike Bodmins as Older will attest!).

This is very true and the difference will become even more marked when the two west leagues inevitably merge but I believe that the pandemic has slowed progress and discussions on that front.  That's a whole other topic though and not entirely related to Devon League vacancies.😁

2 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

This is very true and the difference will become even more marked when the two west leagues inevitably merge but I believe that the pandemic has slowed progress and discussions on that front.  That's a whole other topic though and not entirely related to Devon League vacancies.😁

Aha, hoisted by my own petard! Perhaps a little guilty of subverting the threads intentions. However the lead post did rather potentially open the door to reform, which has previously been constrained by the presence of the Devon teams. Nevertheless my humble apologies.

• 1 year later...
On 19/01/2021 at 20:51, St George said:

I see the the Devon Football League are inviting applications to join for 2021/22 season. 
Is this the opportunity for the 2 Plymouth based sides playing in ECPL - Mt Gould (who are tearing up the ECPL) and Marjons Reserves - to progress to the next level as there is no current way they can progress out of ECPL via direct promotion?

Can you check out the more views about it, then it will be helpful for you. Sometime you should be join the premium version which will be helps a lot.