Cornwall Football Forum

Happy New Year everyone

Dave Deacon

6 hours ago, Keith B said:

Funny how even the very word ''respect'' seems to have become unfashionable these days.

That word went out of fashion some time ago, along with a lot of other things Keith B.
Someone posted the idea that children who will have no school lessons until mid February, could be taught some home living, like how to cook, sew on a button, clean, dust, and tidy their rooms and some basics that will crop up in their later life.
First reply back said, who is going to instruct the parents on how it's done in the first place.  Point taken !!

Apologies for posting this on a football forum , but you've started so I'll begin . Having watched celebrity Pointless , celebrity Mastermind  and celebrity Tipping Point over Christmas  you realise that its not only " Respect " that's gone out of fashion , but also " dignity " . Watching some of these people behave , you can't imagine the effect it has on those that idolise them . Listening to the audience making their howling noises after every answer , correct or not , they sound like an attack on the U.S. Cavalry .

47 minutes ago, Keith B said:

True but none the less the respect campaign still remains - hence the handshakes at the start of matches (and then knock six bales out of each other). Respect is not taught these days sadly. Being good losers isn't either. When we played, if you lost your rag with an official, you would have been castigated by your captain and probably dropped from the team. If you had a go at the ref whilst at school, you would not have played for the school again and, been caned in front of the school assembly. I saw that happen when an older boy (he a Prefect too) was caned at the school assembly for fighting with a player of the opposition. That boy never represented the school again - sadly, because he was a good footballer.

AH! the good old days...lol

25 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Could Dave rename this thread “Respect” as it has precious little to do with New Year greetings.

My wish for the New Year; that forum members stick to the topic at the top of the thread. If you don’t like it, start a new one!

I was just thinking the same Bruegel! So much for the new year greetings!!!! 🤔