Cornwall Football Forum

I understand that some may question the reasoning behind decisions to suspend fixtures at levels when Tier 3 allows football to be played. The Department of Culture, Media & Sport, together with the National League System have introduced new criteria for the safety of spectators - including reducing the maximum number admitted to 150. Some of the other "rules" would be almost impossible to implement, let alone enforce. Coupled with the lack of income from Clubhouses, Step 6 football is really not viable for many Clubs at present.

Teams below Step 6 are not directly compelled to follow the same rules and regulations regarding spectator safety as Grassroots Football is not recognised as a spectator sport by the FA. We all know that is not true in Cornwall. It cannot be right that basic measures put in place for spectators safety are different, depending on which game they are watching. All Clubs have a duty of care towards their supporters, as well as the wider community. If it's not really possible to provide a safe environment at Step 6 grounds, what chance do lower Leagues have to achieve it?

Much as we all love the game, I believe Leagues have made the correct decision to pause the season.

23 minutes ago, John Mead said:

I understand that some may question the reasoning behind decisions to suspend fixtures at levels when Tier 3 allows football to be played. The Department of Culture, Media & Sport, together with the National League System have introduced new criteria for the safety of spectators - including reducing the maximum number admitted to 150. Some of the other "rules" would be almost impossible to implement, let alone enforce. Coupled with the lack of income from Clubhouses, Step 6 football is really not viable for many Clubs at present.

Teams below Step 6 are not directly compelled to follow the same rules and regulations regarding spectator safety as Grassroots Football is not recognised as a spectator sport by the FA. We all know that is not true in Cornwall. It cannot be right that basic measures put in place for spectators safety are different, depending on which game they are watching. All Clubs have a duty of care towards their supporters, as well as the wider community. If it's not really possible to provide a safe environment at Step 6 grounds, what chance do lower Leagues have to achieve it?

Much as we all love the game, I believe Leagues have made the correct decision to pause the season.

Correct, all lives matter.

I 100% agree that suspending the leagues at this moment in time is the correct thing to do; saving lives and protecting the NHS is paramount. 

I’ve read on a number of threads about cancelling the season. No one wants to see that and if we can avoid that we should do at all costs in my opinion. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on other threads that I may have missed, but surely it would make sense, if at all possible, to extend this season to the end of June, even July if needed to ensure another season isn’t ruined, then start next season later again. E.g. if we can get all games played by the end of June, can we start the season in September again? If it’s July, start in October? Gradually year on year build back to the normal schedule. This year should be different with the promise of a vaccine so we’d hope not to have anymore lockdowns/tier 3/4 situations once the worst of this passes hopefully in a month or two. 

If anyone can shed any light on whether the leagues can be extended or what would need to be done to do so would be much appreciated. 

Stay safe in the meantime. 

Listening to Phil Hiscox talking about reasons for suspending the SWPL with Dave on the Podcast last week was execellent and would recommend it. When he talks about the actual practicalities of hosting and ‘policing’ games he makes it very clear the difficulties all clubs now face at all levels in putting on a home match. I think there might also potential punishments for not adhering to theses new FA guidelines which I’m sure all clubs want to avoid! 

Jiggy, St Newlyn East

Just listened to the Rappo and Deacs podcast and the interview with Phil. The challenging logistics makes sense now. Let’s just hope we can get back soon to give the leagues a chance. Maybe the likes of some of the Trelawney and Duchy leagues stand a chance being smaller leagues. Fingers crossed we can get football back soon in a safe environment.