Cornwall Football Forum

Next up is hopefully the CORNWALL SENIOR CUP, 3rd Round ................

........................but now that in Tier 2, County FA have been liaising with clubs with regard to staging games. Already one postponed, and may be more possibly before Saturday arrives.

Games below still on as at Wednesday 9.00pm

SATURDAY JANUARY 2nd 2021

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP

3rd Round

AFC St Austell                   P-P             St Minver

Bude Town                         v              Camelford

Godolphin Atlantic           v              Newquay

Helston Athletic                P-P          Torpoint Athletic

Liskeard Athletic               P-P           St Dennis

Millbrook                             P-P            Sticker

Mousehole                         P-P            Perranwell

Polperro                              v              Mullion

Rosudgeon                         v              Porthleven

Ruan Minor                        P-P            Dobwalls

St Blazey                           P-P         Callington Town 

St Dominick                       P-P             Bodmin Town

St Mawgan                         v              Falmouth Town

Saltash United                   v              Holman Sports Club

Wadebridge Town           P-P              Launceston

Wendron United              P-P              Penzance

Seen on Twitter that the Blazey v Callington game is off, they're citing tier 2 restrictions making it impossible for the club to function normally. Given the fact that tier 2 restrictions are very unlikely to be lifted (and will probably be further tightened) until the spring/early summer (or upon the successful mass vaccination roll out), does this mean that other clubs will follow suit, and that we will move to a suspension of the season by default?

22 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seen on Twitter that the Blazey v Callington game is off, they're citing tier 2 restrictions making it impossible for the club to function normally. Given the fact that tier 2 restrictions are very unlikely to be lifted (and will probably be further tightened) until the spring/early summer (or upon the successful mass vaccination roll out), does this mean that other clubs will follow suit, and that we will move to a suspension of the season by default?

This is becoming ludicrous and clubs are simply not wanting to play and using COVID as a lame excuse!

Covid is hardly a lame excuse. 

82 million cases worldwide with 2 million deaths and the numpties still try to play it down. 

Ourselves we have reduced the capacity in the club by 80% so there is a big economic affect that some clubs cannot sustain. 

Football is not free to stage at any level therefore some income is necessary. 

All clubs in SWPL(E) were given the option to postpone league games when Devon went into Tier 2. When Cornwall went into T2 that option was extended to SWPL(W) and St Piran clubs. Unable to use the clubhouse, thereby affecting financial stability, seems to be a common reason for not playing. No idea if any different instructions have been given out by CFA for the CSC.

Just shows how much clubs in the SWPL are paying players if they can’t put on a game of football due to financial reasons. 

Apart from a clubhouse not being allowed to open and serve alcohol nothing else has changed from going from Tier 1 to Tier 2 regarding guidance from the FA and CCFA in putting on a match. 

No excuses really for not playing a game of football! Guess St Pirans and below must all be immune to this horrible disease as they don’t seem to be afforded the same level of opportunity to simply cancel matches with no questions asked with just a reason of “new Covid restrictions”! What new Covid restrictions??????

Can’t the blazey players offer to play for free I mean that the least they could offer if matchday revenue is the issue. Plenty of games going on in the Dutchy leagues where players pay out of their own pocket to play. 

So that’s it for st blazey this season really them as tier 2 will be here for months yet. 

1 hour ago, St George said:

Just shows how much clubs in the SWPL are paying players if they can’t put on a game of football due to financial reasons. 

Apart from a clubhouse not being allowed to open and serve alcohol nothing else has changed from going from Tier 1 to Tier 2 regarding guidance from the FA and CCFA in putting on a match. 

No excuses really for not playing a game of football! Guess St Pirans and below must all be immune to this horrible disease as they don’t seem to be afforded the same level of opportunity to simply cancel matches with no questions asked with just a reason of “new Covid restrictions”! What new Covid restrictions??????

A whole list of additional measures which NLS Clubs have to abide by arrived via email on Christmas Eve, including covered accommodation now being restricted to 30% of maximum number; in inclement weather, who's going to watch a game if there's no room to shelter?

OMG....No covered area - seriously! Still no reason why a game of football can’t go ahead - this purely boils down to finances and clubs needing gate receipts and clubhouse income to pay players! Nothing to do with new restrictions as if clubs didn’t need the money for this then games would, could and should go ahead! I’d say every diehard supporter of Trelawny and Duchy clubs at games every Saturday watch without cover in all sorts of weather. 

39 minutes ago, St George said:

Still no reason why a game of football can’t go ahead - this purely boils down to finances and clubs needing gate receipts and clubhouse income to pay players! 

As the patron saint of your country I wouldn't have expected such a blinkered view point. I'm sure you are correct that clubs use a percentage of their income to cover players expenses, but even if they played at no cost, don't you think clubs need much needed funds to cover the cost of match officials, electricity, water, pitch maintenance, line marking, council tax, kit washing etc etc ? 

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Can’t the blazey players offer to play for free I mean that the least they could offer if matchday revenue is the issue. Plenty of games going on in the Dutchy leagues where players pay out of their own pocket to play. 

So that’s it for st blazey this season really them as tier 2 will be here for months yet. 

This has not nothing to do with costs!!

Potentially a thought that the club don't want certain individuals anywhere near the ground hence the decision to postpone the fixture.

I applaud the club for not allowing them back. 

If your talking of 'capable' football clubs St. Blazey with a great infrastructure would no doubt be able to carry out these fixtures, under these restrictions, but possibly don't want some individuals back at the club where there have caused an awful lot of hurt, & upset to alot of people. 

Remember the offences committed has even had an effect on the youth section, with the youth department sending out a message via social media distancing themselves from certain individuals within the football club. (for a youth section to have to make that stand shows how severely this has been taken by the local community). 

15 minutes ago, Leroy said:

As the patron saint of your country I wouldn't have expected such a blinkered view point. I'm sure you are correct that clubs use a percentage of their income to cover players expenses, but even if they played at no cost, don't you think clubs need much needed funds to cover the cost of match officials, electricity, water, pitch maintenance, line marking, council tax, kit washing etc etc ? 

Correct. 

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

A whole list of additional measures which NLS Clubs have to abide by arrived via email on Christmas Eve, including covered accommodation now being restricted to 30% of maximum number; in inclement weather, who's going to watch a game if there's no room to shelter?

Come to Bickland Park, Falmouth where there’s covered areas on all four sides of the ground. 

52 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Remember the offences committed has even had an effect on the youth section, with the youth department sending out a message via social media distancing themselves from certain individuals within the football club. (for a youth section to have to make that stand shows how severely this has been taken by the local community). 

I must have misread those messages! I took it that the youth clubs were separate entities to the St Blazey AFC itself.

1 hour ago, Leroy said:

So the question I have then is how are clubs in St Pirans and below who all also have  “to cover the cost of match officials, electricity, water, pitch maintenance, line marking, council tax, kit washing etc etc” able to still play football matches and SWPL clubs not able to under these “new Covid restrictions”?

I guess this will all be irrelevant tomorrow when Boris puts the whole country up another Tier considering the way rates are rising!

9 minutes ago, St George said:

So the question I have then is how are clubs in St Pirans and below who all also have  “to cover the cost of match officials, electricity, water, pitch maintenance, line marking, council tax, kit washing etc etc” able to still play football matches and SWPL clubs not able to under these “new Covid restrictions”?

I guess this will all be irrelevant tomorrow when Boris puts the whole country up another Tier considering the way rates are rising!

Not too many SWPL(E) clubs dibbed out, Bovey Tracey and Stoke Gabriel were 2. The situation in Cornwall has not really been tested, St Blazey excepted. I think your second point is more relevant. There is no way sufficient leagues will get anywhere near finishing their fixtures for the FA to not repeat last seasons voiding IMO. All major sporting events on 2021 should be considered as highly provisional, but the organisers have to plan and hope for the best.

6 minutes ago, baldy said:

Not too many SWPL(E) clubs dibbed out, Bovey Tracey and Stoke Gabriel were 2. The situation in Cornwall has not really been tested, St Blazey excepted. I think your second point is more relevant. There is no way sufficient leagues will get anywhere near finishing their fixtures for the FA to not repeat last seasons voiding IMO. All major sporting events on 2021 should be considered as highly provisional, but the organisers have to plan and hope for the best.

Dobwalls, Callington, Wadebridge,Porthleven, all 4 called off Boxing Day games, citing the new COVID restrictions. Probably would all have been cancelled due to the weather anyway, no one on here moaning about them. 

48 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I must have misread those messages! I took it that the youth clubs were separate entities to the St Blazey AFC itself.

Maybe Dave BUT still St. Blazey youth football club have had to post messages on social media to distance themselves from the club... Which, for me, for a Youth football club to have to do this shows how severe an incident this is, after all this is the future of local football after all.. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Come to Bickland Park, Falmouth where there’s covered areas on all four sides of the ground. 

Just about!

7 hours ago, baldy said:

All clubs in SWPL(E) were given the option to postpone league games when Devon went into Tier 2. When Cornwall went into T2 that option was extended to SWPL(W) and St Piran clubs. Unable to use the clubhouse, thereby affecting financial stability, seems to be a common reason for not playing. No idea if any different instructions have been given out by CFA for the CSC.

They will think of some I am sure.

38 minutes ago, Old 1950 said:

Dave you are 100% correct. Youth play at cricket club and Fowey school and run by a committee of parents and coaches. 

Wow, that's even worse... Local  boys team St. Blazey Youth distancing themselves from St. Blazey Seniors just to be sure people don't get them 'tarred with the brush'  🙄

No Youth team shouldn't have to do that, that's the future. 

14 minutes ago, baldy said:

It’s quite simple. People want to know what the politics/reasons are behind St Blazey postponing their match?

Are people asking why Dobwalls, Porthleven, Wadebridge Callington cancelled Boxing Day fixtures because of COVID restrictions. No. But St Blazey get slated  when cancelling. Loads of matches were also called off in Devon because of Tier 2 restrictions. Will be surprised if not more are called off before the weekend. Will also be surprised if the St Blazey witch-hunt stops.

3 minutes ago, iand said:

Are people asking why Dobwalls, Porthleven, Wadebridge Callington cancelled Boxing Day fixtures because of COVID restrictions. No. But St Blazey get slated  when cancelling. Loads of matches were also called off in Devon because of Tier 2 restrictions. Will be surprised if not more are called off before the weekend. Will also be surprised if the St Blazey witch-hunt stops.

Will reverse my thanks previously. 

10 hours ago, baldy said:

Same instructions as SWPL and St Piran league.

12 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Wow, that's even worse... Local  boys team St. Blazey Youth distancing themselves from St. Blazey Seniors just to be sure people don't get them 'tarred with the brush'  🙄

No Youth team shouldn't have to do that, that's the future. 

Leeds two different clubs- no connection. They have own facilities at both venues and using the club house for fund raising is no different to the local church or any other charity using the clubhouse.

8 minutes ago, dannybalst2006 said:

As were Wadebridge at Camelford, I know that Reg and the lads were gutted that was called off but because of a waterlogged pitch not Covid reasons. 

Sadly due to the new COVID restrictions we have decided in the best interests of keeping everybody as safe as possible to postpone our home game on Monday versus @newquay_afc Sending everyone our very best Christmas wishes and hoping we can all return to safer times soon.

taken
from The Bridger Twitter account retweeted on the SWPL Twitter page

23 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

You are correct Dave, the youth club is not a “section” of st Blazey FC. 
They are AFC St Blazey Youth, a completely separate entity. Different club, different committee, different everything!

47 minutes ago, Robin Tucker said:

You are correct Dave, the youth club is not a “section” of st Blazey FC. 
They are AFC St Blazey Youth, a completely separate entity. Different club, different committee, different everything!

From the same village.

With I'm sure parents, grandparents, uncles & aunts that support (or used to support depending on how seriously they take the Covid19 killer virus) the Villages Senior team.

Very very sad state for a Youth team to have to make that statement. 

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

From the same village.

With I'm sure parents, grandparents, uncles & aunts that support (or used to support depending on how seriously they take the Covid19 killer virus) the Villages Senior team.

Very very sad state for a Youth team to have to make that statement. 

Might be from same village but the youth are more aligned to the cricket club where it started playing game on a pitch the was developed with the aid of Darren Gilbert and family and opened by Nigel Martyn. Sad they have to make the statement but understandable when people lump them with the individuals blackening the adult clubs name.