Cornwall Football Forum

Did they or Didn't They

TO GO UP OR STAY PUT - THAT IS THE QUESTION

PETER HEYMAN

09:00 - 21 February 2008

It was D-day for Porthleven Football Club last night as committee members were due to put their heads together and decide whether to go for promotion to the Premier Division of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League.The Fishermen are odds-on favourites to earn promotion by right on the playing field, standing 12 points clear at the top of the Division 1 West table with nine matches left to play, six of which are on their home patch at Gala Parc.

With the top two teams eligible to go up, an application for promotion to the Premier Division has to be submitted to the league by March 1.

But this raises the tricky question of whether the club can afford the increased demands in terms of travelling costs and player commitment that competing in a higher league would involve.

Chairman Neil Clark spelt out in stark terms the extra commitment that promotion would involve.

"An away game in Division 1 West currently involves an average trip of 68 miles taking two hours. In the Premier Division the average journey would be 172 miles with four and a quarter hours travelling.

"Some 90 per cent of players in the Premier League come from East Cornwall and Devon. We want to continue with our policy of recruiting players from West Cornwall, so it's a big ask for us to step up knowing the extra financial burden this would place on the club.

"At the end of the day the financial welfare of the club will come before any wish to play at a higher level. We are ambitious and have done a lot with our facilities. We have good sponsors, but not big ones. But is it the right time to go for promotion and are we financially biting off more than we can chew?"

He added that the outcome of last night's deliberations would be made known in a press release to be issued later this week.

Guest crosser

Chairman Neil Clark spelt out in stark terms the extra commitment that promotion would involve.

"An away game in Division 1 West currently involves an average trip of 68 miles taking two hours. In the Premier Division the average journey would be 172 miles with four and a quarter hours travelling.

"Some 90 per cent of players in the Premier League come from East Cornwall and Devon. We want to continue with our policy of recruiting players from West Cornwall, so it's a big ask for us to step up knowing the extra financial burden this would place on the club.

"At the end of the day the financial welfare of the club will come before any wish to play at a higher level. We are ambitious and have done a lot with our facilities. We have good sponsors, but not big ones. But is it the right time to go for promotion and are we financially biting off more than we can chew?"

Bit of a tricky one this i don't think any club should be forced to take promotion if and thats a big if financially it could cripple the club, but i also believe that all clubs should strive to play at the highest level that they can and there must come a time when after a period of dominance they should be forced/made?? to take the step up for the good of the league they are competing in

On the travel side of things unfortunately porthleven did not take their place in the SWPL which was rightfully theirs last season and now the travel and distance is a bigger factor than ever after one season in division 1.

Only time will tell on this one

With all due respect C.T.B,

Porthleven are currently top of the league but if Wadebridge Town win all their games in hand and beat Porthleven which they have once already this season they will win the league!! Again it seems a big ask but they are a very good team this year. Porthleven are sitting pretty but still 9 games is 9 games and Wadebridge with their games in hand are not far behind!!!

For me , Porthleven will win the league with a few points to spare. But then this game is all about opinions right?

I'm sure its a tough decision to make for the club. I guess on the playing/management side they would mostly want to test themselves at the higher level. However i fully understand the financial issues.

We venture into pastures new today!! A trip over the Tamar into Plymouth.

Once a season is enough for us at the moment :)

MY GUESS IS PORTHLEVEN TO WIN THE DIV 1 WEST TITLE , I KNOW WADEBRIDGE HAVE THE GAMES IN HAND PLUS THE 2 SIDES HAVE TO MEET AGAIN BUT I WOULD PREFER TO BE IN PORTS POSITION POINTS

ON THE BOARD NOT WELL HAVE GOT X AMOUNT OF GAMES IN HAND PLUSWE MEET THE SIDE ABOVE US WHEN THE DIFFERENCE IS MOR THAN JUST 3 OR 4 POINTS. IF HOWEVER WADEBRIDGE DO MANAGE IT THRN GOOD ON THEM,AS FOR THE ORIGINAL QUESTION I AM SURE THE CLUB OFFICIALS WILL DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CLUB AND ITS FUTURE.WOULD LOVE TO SEE EITHER SIDE IN PREMIER NEXT SEASON AS BOTH PLACES ALWAYS VERY FRIENDLY AND ANOTHER CLOSE AWAY DAY FOR THE SEASON. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS FOT YHE REST OF THE SEASON

If they have declined promotion this means whoever finishes 2nd in the league will be offered it instead. What happens if they refuse.

Will the league be forced to increase the size of the league to allow relegation from the SWPL Premier and promotion from the feeder leagues. Does it mean who ever finishes bottom of the Premier will be safe.

These teams in the SWPL Div 1 West should have had to sign a piece of paper saying if they finish in the top 2 they must take promotion if offered. It's too late now unfortunately.

How many teams in the feeder leagues would like promotion to Div West and beyond.

<_< Still waitnig for the solution as to how you marry up mandatory promotion with ground requirements - you have firm views on promotion, fair enough, but how do you get the money for the ground requirements to a club for that. Do you just throw it to anyone who finishes first or second, what if the ground is not capable of further development. ie; planning permission refused, not enough land etc; Give us a clue how you would do it. :(

Wadebridge desperately want promotion so thankfully there wont be an issue this season.

IF Wadebridge finish 2nd (which im guessing is the worst case scenario for them) then i beleive

they will be offered promotion.

Speaking on behalf of my club , we are obviously delighted with how our first season at this level has gone.

However , we are well aware that this is now "our level". For the time being anyway.

A statement will be made on the league website on Saturday (1st March) stating who has applied from both Div 1 East & West for promotion to the Premier division.

The rules however are clear, the 1st OR 2nd placed sides in each division can go up, if neither wants to go up or has the facilities then the team finishing 1 off the bottom of Premier is saved, if nobody went up from East or West then the bottom 2 in Premier are saved.

Distant Shores is spot on, much as it would be great for every club to want to go up every season the reality is different. The FA have a different ground standard grading for each step, so having a ground for Step 7 does not mean you have a ground for Step 6. Yes their is some money to throw at the promotion clubs but this is match funding, the clubs themselves have to contribute to the projects for them to happen.

Looking on the brighter side, normally how many clubs in the old SWL and DCL would have applied for promotion to WL1 each season ??? Think carefully how many of the 33 clubs in East & West would contemplate that and then wait until Saturday to see if more clubs have applied for our Step 6 Premier Division than would have the Western Lge under the old Pyramid. We have after all reduced travelling from 6 Counties (Western League) to 2 Counties (Peninsula League)

Regards

Phil H

if you dont want to play as higher level as poss go and play in a lower league!

C'mon lads put up some constructive arguments, if you had the above what happens when that club wins that league - or are they supposed to 'throw' the last few games. Dear me, no one yet can give arguments re the ground requirements either. Whilst you may think it is bad - to change it you need constructive ideas.

:thumbsup: Good point Sports Lover, and indeed over the years a lot of clubs have. But there would have to be some wage bill cancelled for flood lights alone at £34000. Still no response though on money for ground requirements which could run to £100,000 easily. I will leave it with you chaps over there to sort it all out by next season. :blink:

Distant Shores i understand your argument about clubs having the required facilities to go up however we are talking about Porthleven on this thread and from what the south west peninsula league website says about them in their club directory section Porthleven already have the facilities in place IE floodlights, seated stand , clubhouse etc :drink:

:D Yet another good point NDD but Porthleven have had these facilities for many years - it gives no indication of their financial set up to deal with the extra expense - by the way is it true that Barnstaple want to come the other way. I only say that to make the point that at this level that choice is a big factor, as Saltash, St. Blazey, Falmouth and Truro found for so many years in a pyramid system.

I think that teams that finish at the top should go up people should always strive to be at a higher level, and is there really going to be that much extra costs in stepping up a Division. I heard the Wadebridge Manager on the radio on saturday saying his team are definetly taking promotion and they should be congratulated. How many players will port lose if they stay in Division 1 . and if they refuse you could set a precedent (i.e) if Port finish top and decline to go up shouldn't it work if us or St Austell finish bottom we can refuse to go down........... :yahoo: :yahoo:

"If their so worried about why do they enter the F.A Vase? Thats not a huge money earner"

Dont forget its £500 if your team gets to the first round proper, , and £49,500 if you win it, so it is worth while entering the competition.

I think every club wants to play at the highest level possible, but you have to have the money to do it, I personally think Porthleven committee should be congratulated for coming to the conclusion that it would not be possible for them to take promotion ( if they win the league ), as it would be far worse for the club if they went up and then had to pull out through lack of funds.

:SM_carton:

I don't understand the extra money needed by 'the club' to go up a league. Does the club have to pay a fee to go up? What other expenses are there?

The one that everyone keeps saying is travelling expenses which is nonsence surely? How does it cost 'the club' money to travel? Do they travel by team bus to every away game? I don't know about everyone else but us players at Launceston travel by car and take in turns driving. How is this an expense on 'the club'? It looks to me as if it's the players that wouldn't be willing to travel or would want extra money for the drive?

Surely if you love football enough you'd travel anywhere to play at the highest level you can?

Guest Sport Lover

So after asking the question a few days ago and not getting a reply how is the figure of 7000 pounds made up no-one has any idea.

So can we try and guess how its made up and someone confirm yes or no?

Extra fees for Referees?

League subscriptions?

Insurance?

Travel expense?

Or

players 'expenses'?

any ideas?

Perhaps Porthleven like the idea of staying in division 1 west so they are the big fish and have a great chance of collecting the £1500 for winning that division every season instead of trying to play amongst the big boys where they might not fair aswell hence no £1500. I dont see that the travelling side is an issue. We at Witheridge which is alot smaller place the Porthleven and dont get as big crowds as they do are happy to be in the Premier Division and when prmotion was offered to us at the end of last season we jumped at the chance. My own view is clubs should always be looking to play at as high a standard as possible.

Guest Sport Lover

Why is it best left in the board room stig?, my question is just a general question about the additional costs of gaining promotion.

A bit extra for travelling but what else?

Guest Sport Lover

Am not asking what expenses PL have I am asking what expenses are incurred by gaining promotion. Nice simple question I thought?