Cornwall Football Forum

Sportsview Personality of the year

fenman

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is it Sports Personality of the year? On BBC this Sunday 

I presume that's what was meant. Was Sports view the original name? 

It's rubbish nowadays anyway.  Used to be great when there wasn't so much sport on TV you saw stuff that youd not seen. 

As well as the fact that sports persons are not allowed to be personalities anymore

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

I presume that's what was meant. Was Sports view the original name? 

It's rubbish nowadays anyway.  Used to be great when there wasn't so much sport on TV you saw stuff that youd not seen. 

As well as the fact that sports persons are not allowed to be personalities anymore

Correct Darren, too much televised sport is ruining all sports, taking the magic away.

27 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I expect that Marcus Rashford will be a close contestant - if he's on the shortlist. His work for the kids meals etc, will probably strike a mark with many voters. I may be wrong.

He’s not in it. The only footballer is Jordan Henderson, one of the most overrated of all time and he has no personality.

Apologies , it used to be Sportsview Personalty  , a sort of extension to Sportsview which was just about the only programme devoted to sport  in the 1960's .             ( there are times when I wish we were back in the 1960's ) 

As it's wet and windy up here in the far east , I'll explain why I have this dislike of the programme . As there seems to be very little discussion on the forum at the moment it might provoke some comment or debate .

As well as football I am a keen motorsport fan , mainly motorcycle racing . My father raced motorcycles , I dabbled with it , and my son races . In recent years the BBC has seemed to have a dislike for the sport . Various incidents that have occurred in the voting system for this award  over the years have reinforced my views and most others who love the sport . 

The most recent occasion and the one which has incensed Arlene Foster the Northern Ireland minister and to a degree myself , was Jonathan Rea being voted runner up to Mo Farah in 2018 .Jonathan Rea is from Northern Ireland  and has won 6 World Superbike titles . This competition is very difficult to win as the  motorbikes are all very similar in performance , unlike Formula one , and it is a case of the best rider over 33 races throughout the world .  2 years ago  many thousands of motorcycle fans voted for Rea and he was runner up , 3,000 votes behind Farah  . The BBC appeared to be upset over this ,stating that the votes were "  not representative " as many of the votes were from Northern Ireland . As a result they modified the voting rules to prevent this happening again . Now you can vote for who you like as long as it's one of the 6 people  they select . Undoubtedly  the 6 they select have some merit in being on there  but surely the very title  "sports " means anyone in the field of sport not selected sport . 

A similar situation happened some years ago when a man named Bob Nudd who was the World Angling champion received an enormous amount of votes , the following year the voting system was amended much to the disgust of the angling fraternity .

18 hours ago, baldy said:

He’s not in it. The only footballer is Jordan Henderson, one of the most overrated of all time and he has no personality.

Haha. A typical comment from someone who doesn't watch Liverpool. The man is the best beast of the team. The man who has lead Liverpool to a European Cup and League title. 

50 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

My earlier post vindicated too fenman. Not many personalities on view. What does it say about the great British public that the most boring attendees came first and second (and equally the BBC for choosing them!).

They're not allowed to be personalities anymore. Name a Sports Personality who's anywhere near the top of their game?? 

34 minutes ago, St Darren said:

They're not allowed to be personalities anymore. Name a Sports Personality who's anywhere near the top of their game?? 

I see where you’re coming from...............but stand up Ben Stokes!
Equally I guess they couldn’t nominate Marcus Rashford because a) he’d win by a landslide (but not necessarily for his footballing skills) and b) Uncle Boris wouldn’t like it!

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I see where you’re coming from...............but stand up Ben Stokes!
Equally I guess they couldn’t nominate Marcus Rashford because a) he’d win by a landslide (but not necessarily for his footballing skills) and b) Uncle Boris wouldn’t like it!

Stokes won it last year didn't he? Cricket has hardly been in the prominent public eye this year. 

Years ago it used to be something different but the amount of sport on TV now, we've all seen everything they show. 

The sports persons aren't allowed to be personalities due to the money that they earn.