Cornwall Football Forum

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS - HELSTON ATHLETIC V FAREHAM TOWN

21 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Yeah I’ve just noticed watching back that he put his flag up but instantly put it down again when the ref indicated no foul! Must admit at the time I didn’t think it was a foul.

What was the crowd , seemed to be more cars than people .Were Tesco,s using the ground as an overspill car park ?

2 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Not really, started flagging and the referee said no.

I can understand why the red was given but personally think it was harsh as player was low and only caught him as Fareham player toed the ball away at last second. Probably a bit silly to dive in mid pitch. 

Didn't look a penalty to me and ref was in a good position. 

Helston looked better team (from highlights) 

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

To be fair or didn't look a penalty but the lino could have had his flag up properly as he could have seen something the referee didn't

Disagree.

The assistant is starting the correct signal and then drops it once referee “cuts the grass”.

The assistant can only have a different opinion here, won’t have seen it differently.

6 hours ago, Footy follower said:

I can understand why the red was given but personally think it was harsh as player was low and only caught him as Fareham player toed the ball away at last second. Probably a bit silly to dive in mid pitch. 

The ref was going to book Olly at first but then spoke to the player lying on the floor and changed it to a red - or that is how it appeared from the stand.

6 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Helston were not the better team despite having opportunities, especially in the first half which on another day may have resulted in a goal. Strange that the ref booked Howe for deliberate hand ball when he stopped a certain goal on the line when the ball hit him - double whammy that!! Fareham we very good at game management and were not really tested in the second half - both full backs were good and they did deserve the win. Well done to the other Cornish teams on their results.

6 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sorry but any chance you can explain that a little more please.

In the video the assistant starts to signal, but the referee uses his arms (and possibly voice) to say no and the assistant stops flagging. The referee is the man in charge and both looking at same incident with different angles and views so if both close enough the referee will take charge.

33 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

In the video the assistant starts to signal, but the referee uses his arms (and possibly voice) to say no and the assistant stops flagging. The referee is the man in charge and both looking at same incident with different angles and views so if both close enough the referee will take charge.

Gotcha thanks.

Makes you wonder what the assistant thought he saw that the referee didn’t! 

Not Helston's best performance thats for sure. The rightback for Fareham looked a very good player imo. two new lads brought in by Massey looked okay, not better than what they've already got in Buchan and Eddy so makes you wonder why he's made that choice.... maybe panic buying after Goldy left? 
Never a penalty, linesman just confirms the quality of local linesman (regardless of what level he's officially from) fair play to the ref having the backbone in a big vase game to go against his official. Red card looks out of frustration more than anything, but both feet clearly game in. Slightly reckless, but not a lot of contact mind.

On 15/12/2020 at 13:23, SCFC said:

Not Helston's best performance thats for sure. The rightback for Fareham looked a very good player imo. two new lads brought in by Massey looked okay, not better than what they've already got in Buchan and Eddy so makes you wonder why he's made that choice.... maybe panic buying after Goldy left? 
Never a penalty, linesman just confirms the quality of local linesman (regardless of what level he's officially from) fair play to the ref having the backbone in a big vase game to go against his official. Red card looks out of frustration more than anything, but both feet clearly game in. Slightly reckless, but not a lot of contact mind.

Local referees will certainly get familiar with Owen Howe, his disciplinary record was pretty appalling with his previous clubs (5 sendings off for Bristol Manor Farm in season 2018/19). Quality player who probably would be playing at step 2/3 level if it wasn't for this.

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Local referees will certainly get familiar with Owen Howe, his disciplinary record was pretty appalling with his previous clubs (5 sendings off for Bristol Manor Farm in season 2018/19). Quality player who probably would be playing at step 2/3 level if it wasn't for this.

None of the above was evident so give the lad a chance eh?