Cornwall Football Forum

Kernow FA Appointment. Further opportunities for Cornish Disabled players

Newquay reserves’ manager Simon York has been announced as the Kernow Football Alliance’s first ever director of inclusive football. Alongside his role within the Peppermints’ set-up, York has been involved in disability football for many years, including at Sheppey United where he became youth and ladies chairman. He was also involved with Plymouth Argyle Disability before setting up Plymouth Warriors which, in just three years, now includes four youth, three adults and a ladies team - the latter of which were FA People’s Cup winners last season. York has now been called upon to add his experience and knowledge to the talent pool at Kernow FA, as the county’s international and representative sporting set-up look to provide new opportunities for Cornwall’s disability footballers - starting with next year’s No-Limits World Cup. “At Kernow FA, we are always looking for the right people to develop and grow the potential of international football for Cornwall across all sectors,” said Kernow FA chairman, Jason Heaton. “Having worked with Simon from a coaching perspective, understanding his role within the inclusive football programme, really getting to feel his passion for the beautiful game and what it means to him and those around him - it was an obvious approach. “To say we are delighted in appointing someone of Simon’s calibre into our existing structure is an understatement. Simon brings a wealth of experience to the table that we didn’t have before. “Now we can look forward to the CONIFA No-Limits World Cup to be played at the UNESCO world heritage site of Sabionetta, Italy, in what should be a magical experience.” York himself revealed it was an ‘honour’ to be appointed to the role, adding that his ethos is to provide everyone with the same opportunities. “Kernow FA shares my belief,” he began, “giving a voice and space to those with a disability and raising awareness [at the same time]. Working together I feel will be a great success and can truly benefit a lot of people.” CONIFA, otherwise known as the Confederation of Independent Football Associations, held their inaugural tournament for disabled football teams in the principality of Monaco back in January 2019. The aim is to get as many of CONIFA’s members to start football teams for disabled people, as well as to build friendships all over the world playing football. Francesco Zema, CONIFA’s director of disability football, explained: “No-Limits is not only a strategic area for CONIFA but it is above all an inclusive project that wants to give voice and space to people with disabilities. “Personally, I strongly believe in this project and I am honored to have found serious partners in [Kernow FA]. “We all have the obligation and honor to develop inclusive actions and transmit a different - and at the same time - powerful message to raise awareness in the world about the issues of disability.” Andrew Bragg, Kernow’s director of football, concluded: “It’s an absolute honour to have someone of Simon’s calibre and stature on board at Kernow FA. With his wealth of knowledge and expertise on and in inclusive football, it can only expand on what we’ve been trying and hopefully achieving for the Cornish people and it’s football community. “The more people we can get involved and the more facets our organisation can have, the better it is for everyone concerned. We are all about spreading the word for all things Cornish around the world and appointments like this only endorse this fact. “It just shows how forward thinking we are at Kernow FA as now, we are not only looking forward to a European Championships next year, but hopefully a No-Limits tournament. “‘A winning team is made up of great individuals’ is a quote which I think describes Kernow FA. Welcome on board Simon.”

If any cornish player has a disability or feels they may have please feel free to contact myself, messenger or email.: Siyork82@gmail.com to hear more about the upcoming opportunities such as the No-Limits World Cup in Italy.

You stay at club and does not impact on domestic leagues. This is just extra opportunity there if wanted.

Thank you for taking time to read this 👍