Cornwall Football Forum

Goldsworthy moves to Mousehole

36 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

WOW what a statement of intent from the seagulls. With already being top and to add some quality fire power up front. Mousehole definitely showing ambition of winning the league and getting promoted.

Double whammy in that it denies their rivals for the league their top striker, also adds further fuel to the "all is not well at Helston" stories.

Massive loss to Helston this one. I have watched this lad play over the last 10 years or so and would say he is the best striker around the South West area. I have got to know goldie very well after all these years and consider him a friend. I'm sure he will be a huge success at Mousehole and as far as I'm concerned with this signing the league is won.

From Andrew Large, Mousehole

MARK GOLDSWORTHY JOINS MOUSEHOLE FROM HELSTON ATHLETIC

Mousehole have strengthened their position at the top of the South West Peninsula League (West) with the signing of prolific goalscorer Mark Goldsworthy, the captain of close rivals Helston Athletic.

Goldsworthy notched up his 300th SWPL goal early last season, in two spells with Helston Athletic either side of a stint with St Austell, putting him among the county’s all-time record scorers. 

He went on to play an important part in Helston’s record-breaking 24-match winning run in last year’s League campaign, before the season was ended prematurely in March.  Up to that point, 'Goldie’ had already netted 34 League goals, as well as another five in the Cup competitions, and was well on the way to adding to his unique tally of four consecutive ‘Golden Boot’ awards.

He was also the top scorer in the Kernow Football Alliance’s build-up to the (subsequently postponed) CONIFA World Cup last season.

Commenting on his move further west, the Porthleven-based marksman explained: 

“At the age of 29 I’ve still got a lot of room for improvement as a player.  I’ve long been an admirer of Mousehole’s style of play, and I’ve got the greatest respect for Jake Ash, both as an opponent and coach, and Andy Graham through his coaching work with Kernow FA.  I know how the club operates and where it wants to be, and I’m glad to have the opportunity to be part of that.”

Mousehole are currently League leaders having scored an impressive 47 goals while conceding just 7, but Head of Football Adam Fletcher is by no means complacent:

“The season has gone well so far, but we all know we can do better. So, we are delighted to bring on board someone with Goldie’s experience and goalscoring ability. He will add a different dimension to our attacking options. Over the next few weeks he’ll be working hard with Gareth O’Neill (Strength & Conditioning Coach) to recover from a recurring ankle injury and join Gareth’s month-long fitness plan.”

Manager Jake Ash is convinced the signing is a massive step for the club: “Mark’s record over many years is proof of his consistency.  He has an incredible knack of knowing where the goal is - something that’s very difficult to coach - so to bring that natural skill set into this talented group of players is really exciting.  But he offers so much more than that: his all round game and contribution to both team and club, and someone who wants to be the best he can be at everything he does”.

If and when the season resumes in early December, Mousehole will have two consecutive home games, on 5th Decemberagainst Launceston, and on the 12th against St Austell, one of Mark Goldsworthy’s previous clubs.

Mousehole’s Chairman Deryk Heywood summarised the club’s position:  

“The signing of Mark Goldsworthy should leave no doubt about how serious we are about progression.  I cannot over-emphasise the role and reputation of our management and coaching team in making this happen, and helping us to push on with our ambitions as a club.”

Something defintly wrong at Helston The Goalie left ,Chris Slateford leaves for Saltash ,Goldie leaves for Mousehole cant see anyone there who will get the goals now and they are my tip for the league cant see that happning now Massey must have someone lined up to replace Goldsworthy maybe 1 of the kids hes got in reserve cant expect Liam Eddy to doit all on his own ,he will be off soon

25 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Something defintly wrong at Helston The Goalie left ,Chris Slateford leaves for Saltash ,Goldie leaves for Mousehole cant see anyone there who will get the goals now and they are my tip for the league cant see that happning now Massey must have someone lined up to replace Goldsworthy maybe 1 of the kids hes got in reserve cant expect Liam Eddy to doit all on his own ,he will be off soon

No doubt Steve Massey will be using this lock down period to try and get a ready made replacement in (James Lorenz will no doubt be one player that will be mentioned), but I wonder if this is chance for someone already within the club to step up. Know that Phil Cattran was highly rated by Massey when he joined the club a few seasons back, but had dropped down the pecking order with other more established players coming in.

42 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

No doubt Steve Massey will be using this lock down period to try and get a ready made replacement in (James Lorenz will no doubt be one player that will be mentioned), but I wonder if this is chance for someone already within the club to step up. Know that Phil Cattran was highly rated by Massey when he joined the club a few seasons back, but had dropped down the pecking order with other more established players coming in.

Step forward Mattie Buchan to stake a claim! 

I have followed the performance of Mark Goldsworthy, and some others, with interest during most recent visit, given past records have shown what a prolific grassroots goalscorer he has been for a number seasons.

Not the case this season however, having scored just 3 goals, I believe, in 10 league fixtures. 6 adrift of both Leagues Top 20 and Division West Top 10.

My personal viewpoint is this player is past his best.

I read the other day that a young player called Tom Hands transferred from Mousehole to Helston, and now Goldsworthy has gone in opposite direction. Will watch with interest stateside on which club has done the best business here.

I hope you guys get to see some football again soon, I enjoyed all the matches I watched during my recent visit.

Good luck to all teams for remainder of the season. My fingers are crossed your season reaches a conclusion, my fear is with any further disruptions, it will not. 

4 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Glad to see my old man still doing well at a top Cornish Club! 

Good signing for moushole. Goldie will bring alot of firepower to the moushole attack 

Something definitely wrong at Helston with the keeper going slates Jordan dingle and now goldie. Hearing 1 or 2 more could leave aswell. Maybe money isn't everything. 

Will be an interesting season if we are allowed to continue in December 

Good luck to both Goldie and Mousehole as he will score goals and whilst it appears Mousehole have solved their issue of lack of goals from last season - more goals will be welcome there. 

I know I may be alone on this - but I do have to question the loyalty of some players though. Goldie is by no means alone - but last season Captain at Helston and banging his badge on his shirt after every goal (thanks to Piran Films for the highlights) - thing go awry (and like most of us I don’t know what that is at Helston) and he’s off to their rivals??? Perhaps rather than paying out signing on fees / goal scoring bonuses etc - clubs should reward loyalty (there are loads out their who do care about their clubs and turn down better financial offers)- and not sign players, no matter how good, who jump ship when it suits them.  The daft thing is, if / when Mousehole get promoted - Goldie may not want the travel to Western League and Helston will have him back as a returning hero?

Not a dig at Goldie at all as he is one of many, and I nice lad, just a personal opinion, but I do feel priorities are wrong in some clubs / players. 

14 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Good luck to both Goldie and Mousehole as he will score goals and whilst it appears Mousehole have solved their issue of lack of goals from last season - more goals will be welcome there. 

I know I may be alone on this - but I do have to question the loyalty of some players though. Goldie is by no means alone - but last season Captain at Helston and banging his badge on his shirt after every goal (thanks to Piran Films for the highlights) - thing go awry (and like most of us I don’t know what that is at Helston) and he’s off to their rivals??? Perhaps rather than paying out signing on fees / goal scoring bonuses etc - clubs should reward loyalty (there are loads out their who do care about their clubs and turn down better financial offers)- and not sign players, no matter how good, who jump ship when it suits them.  The daft thing is, if / when Mousehole get promoted - Goldie may not want the travel to Western League and Helston will have him back as a returning hero?

Not a dig at Goldie at all as he is one of many, and I nice lad, just a personal opinion, but I do feel priorities are wrong in some clubs / players. 

Interesting read. 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Another player leaves Helston  talented player Liam Short goes to Ilfracombe .Hayden Turner and Goldsworthy will be good at Mousehole but where will the other sriker fit in

Don't think he was a regular starter. Know he was brought in from Barnstaple, guessing the trip down from North Devon was a long way to come to sit on the bench.

This is an awful lot of posts about one, admittedly, fairly competent player. It just goes to show what happens when there are no games to report on, or fight over and no officials to whinge about! If it goes on much longer it could even turn out to be(at) “ Interesting”‼️(although not while Older et al have a patch of grass to worship🌾🚜🟩).

3 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Liam Short wasplaying for Helston Youth last season and progressed to play a few 1st team games  thought Massey was building on youth but it seems hes getting rid of young players.Time to knock this Goldsworthy subject on teh headhes a good player and will score lots of goals .The End

I would say with the new signing from mousehole.. jewell...tonkin.. Buchan (still pretty young?) They may well be going down a more younger player route...these are also very good players by the way.

Very interesting interview with Steve Massey on last Friday's podcast (even if it did turn into lengthy monologues from him at times). Couple of points I took were that he could barely bring himself to mention Mark Goldsworthy's name (as opposed to Neil Slateford), and was quite dismissive of him as a player ("contributes little to our play outside of scoring goals") and, even though he continually evaded the question, it sounded like the departure of Glyn Hooper from his coaching job wasn't harmonious.

Well done to Dave Deacon though for pressing him on answers and dragging him back on topic. Quite a task when he gets into his flow.

On 25/11/2020 at 14:51, Way Of The Park said:

Very interesting interview with Steve Massey on last Friday's podcast (even if it did turn into lengthy monologues from him at times). Couple of points I took were that he could barely bring himself to mention Mark Goldsworthy's name (as opposed to Neil Slateford), and was quite dismissive of him as a player ("contributes little to our play outside of scoring goals") and, even though he continually evaded the question, it sounded like the departure of Glyn Hooper from his coaching job wasn't harmonious.

Well done to Dave Deacon though for pressing him on answers and dragging him back on topic. Quite a task when he gets into his flow.

Mark Goldsworthy putting his side of the story regarding Mr Massey's comments on the podcast this week, incendiary stuff and a recommended listen.

Great scoop by Dave Deacon.

Mr Massey was struggling to say his words last week, he must have repeated the samne word about 300 times whilst he was thinking of the correct thing to say.  

A question I wish Dave asked would have been. What attracted the "Devon players" to Helston in the first place!! 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Mr Massey was struggling to say his words last week, he must have repeated the samne word about 300 times whilst he was thinking of the correct thing to say.  

A question I wish Dave asked would have been. What attracted the "Devon players" to Helston in the first place!! 

Interesting that his best times there were when Sid Taylor was manager.

8 hours ago, St Darren said:

Pretty sure he did ask the question, Massey then spent about 5 mins talking without actually giving an answer.

29 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Pretty sure he did ask the question, Massey then spent about 5 mins talking without actually giving an answer.

Massey did blabber on it a bit in his me me me world. He said its not about the money but cos they enjoy it and potentially get bonuses. 

But it's like when Stewart yetton and others came down to truro, it's about the money that they can get for playing football.  I don't blame them