Cornwall Football Forum

St Columb vs St Dominick OFF

Very disappointing that the first bit of real rain on a Saturday and games already being called off. With everything going on in the world football is still allowed to be played and we’re calling it off. Time to get on with it, get the game played. Worry about the pitches after it’s happened not before!!

A VERY DISAPPOINTED ST DOMINICK MANAGER!!!

2 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

Very disappointing that the first bit of real rain on a Saturday and games already being called off. With everything going on in the world football is still allowed to be played and we’re calling it off. Time to get on with it, get the game played. Worry about the pitches after it’s happened not before!!

Easy said if you don't do the repairs and have to find the money to pay for it end of season.

5 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

Player safety has to be considered too. A soft pitch can easily result in a broken ankle/leg of a player tries to stop or turn suddenly!

1 hour ago, Massive88 said:

I had a local ref go do a check on the pitch early to save you wasting your morning waiting to see if it was on or off 

wish I waited till just before you set off now to tell you 

I apologise it’s raining clearly my fault 🙈🙈

20 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is there any factual proof to back up this suggestion? I have to say I can't remember many of these injuries cropping up when pitches were played on and cut up!

Not just broken legs though, I've seen a few broken caused by getting stuck in the mud but a good many dislocations of knees and ankles as well.

Still only in October, why wreck a pitch when there are still ample Saturdays to finish a season in.

Reduced leagues means reduced games, plenty of time to finish a season these days.

I remember a game we played a few years ago that cost £1,200 to repair and no games for 3 Saturdays after the damage, so yeah - that was well worth playing! 

28 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not just broken legs though, I've seen a few broken caused by getting stuck in the mud but a good many dislocations of knees and ankles as well.

Still only in October, why wreck a pitch when there are still ample Saturdays to finish a season in.

Reduced leagues means reduced games, plenty of time to finish a season these days.

I remember a game we played a few years ago that cost £1,200 to repair and no games for 3 Saturdays after the damage, so yeah - that was well worth playing! 

Penryn v Porthleven 2001 by any chance the game in question Dave?.....unbelievable that we ever played that game my passing was never the best anyway but to hit a ball that would literally stop after 5 yds due to the surface water on Penryns immaculate surface did bring a bit of a tear to the eye 😳😢

48 minutes ago, Pitty said:

Penryn v Porthleven 2001 by any chance the game in question Dave?.....unbelievable that we ever played that game my passing was never the best anyway but to hit a ball that would literally stop after 5 yds due to the surface water on Penryns immaculate surface did bring a bit of a tear to the eye 😳😢

Yes buddy that's the game, the only time I've ever had a go at a referee!

We went from no divots to 100,000 in that game,  pitch totally ruined and £1200 to repair...I could have killed him!!!

35 minutes ago, Chris Davey said:

Surely the ref should have called the game off?! 😂

Yes Chris he should have, the only game played in Cornwall that night! And we lost 2-1 if my memory serves me correctly. 

We had had just spent nearly 6 weeks divoting to complete the season and that happened...Grrrr!

It takes years to get pitches to a good level not one week...and a lot of money as well. 

10 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes buddy that's the game, the only time I've ever had a go at a referee!

We went from no divots to 100,000 in that game,  pitch totally ruined and £1200 to repair...I could have killed him!!!

I watched Penryn vs Falmouth combo on Boxing Day. 8/9 years ago. The players could barely stand up but the game got played. You had a go at the ref that day aswell