Cornwall Football Forum

THE 31st game ?

Just wondered if it was true that following the Premier leagues idea of 39th game at the end of the season being open to bidding from around the world, that it is going to be trailed at the end of this seasons Peninsula West Division games and that Clijah Croft has put in a £40.00 bid for the title decider between Porthleven and Wadebridge.

On a more serious note we had a Referee David Goard from Plymouth on saturday that informed everyone in the bar after the game that there will be no relegation out of the East or West divisions...... can Phil clarify this as it would be a bloody big boost to us if it was true.................

Sorry to dissappoint you but relegation for the sides finishing bottom of both Div 1 East & West is very much on the agenda.

All matters relating to applicant clubs ground inspections and final league positions are of course to be ratified in due course.

I can assure you all that these decisions will be made in line with the rules of the FA and the Competition and that nobody is qualified to make a statement such as the one you attribute to Mr Goard.

Regards

Phil H

In order to bring in new sides to the competition it is necessary to relegate sides out of it.

Numerically that is the only solution - if we have 10 applications to join we can't just take them all, or even half of them without creating room for them !

A side not going up from West saves a side in Premier, it numercially makes no difference to the two Division 1's, they currently have 33 teams, yes you could make that up to 34 or 36 or even round down to 32 but even 36 means you can only bring in 3 of the 10 sides who have applied before you need to relegate someone and what happens next year ? you go up from 36 ?

The cold hard truth is that as long as sides want to join then space has to be created for them, movement is what the pyramid is about, it can be considered quite considerate that only the bottom 1 in each division is eligible to be relegated, most leagues would see the bottom 2 go down.

Guest philglossop

Sports Lover- it's called a normal football pyramid system which as been in operation in most leagues since 1979 when the system was first set up following the Alliance (now Football Conference) was set up.

As Phil H will confirm, back in the old days of the SWL forum (back around 2000/2001) I was a keen promotor of relegation and promotion- as our rows would confirm (hi Phil H remember the old Philsaltash!!)

The simple rules (again Phil H will confirm this) as I work out are this.

The SWPL has a set number of teams it can allow to its TOTAL membership- in ALL 3 divisions.

Therefore, if no teams from the West and East Division decide not to move, this season there is allowances to allow the teams from the feeder leagues to be promoted. BUT- and this the clear point, only IF they finish in the top (either 1/2 positions) within the feeder leagues.

Lottery no. Confirmed set rules using FA guidelines- yes. Please remember Sports Lover and everyone- these are new days and are there to IMPROVE the set up for all teams, allowing progression throughout all SWPL leagues. It not a case of teams applying with ground set up and photos on the AGM necessary. As the represtative of Saltash United on the night Plymouth Parkway were elected to the South Western league, I remember all the other member clubs saying yes to them being elected, and myself ( at the request of the chairman at the time) refusing to vote. Personally, I honestly apologised to the Parkway representative that very night at the meeting in Camelford (if he can remember it).

However- over time of course things may change...... just don't mention the election of Ashton Athletic to the North West Counties League to members of any of the people who follow the NWCL forums. (That was a 2 step promotion- Manchester League Division 2 to NWCL Div 2 aka Camelford Reserves to ECPL this year!)

Thats my 2 pennies worth- hope it's informative. :thumbsup:

To follow your logic Sports Lover each of the 6 feeder league champions would be forced to go up, if that was the case we would have to relegate the bottom 3 in East & West every year !

Guest Sport Lover

Its logical to me phil that if you win the league your in you go up, and try your luck in the league above.

If it doesnt work you end up being relegated. Promotion and relegation thats the way it should work.

Otherwise you get so called 'smaller' clubs like Wendron, Goonhavern, Mousehole, Hayle etc etc in Div 1 working their socks off to try and gain promotion and win the league but never getting there because the top two places are taken by 'bigger' clubs not taking the promotion.

So what is there to play for? 3rd, 4th and 5th spot and the same again the following year. How disheartening is that for clubs and players who would go up if they won the league?

So what is there to play for? 3rd, 4th and 5th spot and the same again the following year. How disheartening is that for clubs and players who would go up if they won the league?

Using your own quotes SL, next year they play for 1st or 2nd spot - How on earth do you think some of these small former non league clubs made it to the Football league - yes, of course finance comes into it - grounds have to be improved as well as players - you don't seem to accept that facilities goes hand in hand with promotion. :D

Guest Sport Lover

I understand about facilities but there were a lot of critics about St Blazey not taking promotion for year after year. Isnt this what the league is leading too again.

Take this scenerio.

Season 2007/08

Club A win the league and refuse promotion because of 'finances'.

Season 2008/9

Season 2009/10

Etc Etc

How long does that carry on for?

At what stage are they 'forced' to take promotion or step down a league?

What is different about the promotion rules from the OLD SWL to the new SWPL?

What is different about the promotion rules from the OLD SWL to the new SWPL?

There is no difference at all when it comes to choice. The SWPL is better than the old SWL because clubs who take promotion go direct to the Western Premier as opposed to the Western Division I. I believe that it is an incentive for clubs to move up quicker. A lot of clubs rejected promtiom under the old SWL simply as they didn't fancy a season or two in Western I. To be fair all this has been gone through before.

Guest Sport Lover

My point was how have we moved on from the old swl to SWPl in regards to promotion. The new SWPL is called a pyramid league/structure but if you can choose whether you take promotion then the pyramid breaks down.

You used to be able to choose whether to take promotion in the old SWL so how has the new league stopped/changed moved forward in that respect?

It hasnt.

:( You wrote as if the new league is hailed as a new pyramid system - the old SWL was pyramid. If you believe that promotion has to be, perhaps you can explain to the masses how it would work in view of ground requirements as well for promotion. its one thing having a good idea and indeed, a noble cause, but its different when you try to put it into practice. :SM_carton: