Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Recommended Posts

Why has OUR forum, set up to talk about Cornish football, the topic we obviously all want to discuss, been turned into an opportunity to namelessly have a go at others who are struggling or falling on difficult times? With our last season being Null and Void and us all missing the sport we love, many volunteers have worked tirelessly to get this season started and all that some want to do is jump on a bandwagon, whether its Callingtons struggles, Helstons hopes or some buffoon having a pop at the Cornish Pele!! (Rappo). 

Let’s give it a rest and start using the forum properly, or at least if you insist on having a go at others misfortunes, be a man and use your real name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn’t agree more - which is why I ‘self isolated’ from the forum after the premature finishing of last season until matches started again - way too much negativity. The ups and downs of clubs and players, imo, is worthy of comment but not a chance for ‘cheap shots’ which many seem to live to do. They way things are going this season is in real risk - time to enjoy what we have, whilst we have it and support all local football - rivals or otherwise 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Why has OUR forum, set up to talk about Cornish football, the topic we obviously all want to discuss, been turned into an opportunity to namelessly have a go at others who are struggling or falling on difficult times? With our last season being Null and Void and us all missing the sport we love, many volunteers have worked tirelessly to get this season started and all that some want to do is jump on a bandwagon, whether its Callingtons struggles, Helstons hopes or some buffoon having a pop at the Cornish Pele!! (Rappo). 

Let’s give it a rest and start using the forum properly, or at least if you insist on having a go at others misfortunes, be a man and use your real name.

Yes a very good post Jon. I suppose the whole thing revolves around the word ''banter''. To joke or make humorous remarks are fine and have become part of what is referred to as banter. However - when banter becomes rude and insulting with no hint of humour, then it is no longer banter - it is insult and at times even slander.

Should the site administrators delete such posting ? A question I guess for the administrators and members to decide the answer to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderating a forum is finding a balance.   This forum has been running for over a decade now.  Firstly I must say a thank you to all the donators that help us continue each year.  Secondly, the terms and conditions that people agree to when they sign up should be a indication that we do not tolerate any language that maybe deemed highly offensive.   We have a feature that allows members to flag content that they deem offensive which will be reviewed by admin and moderators who are online.   

I think as adults we all know what is 'banter' and what is crossing the line.   We all love a bit of football gossip.

There are other moderators on here that help as nobody can be monitoring 24/7.  We just ask as a community, be kind to each other.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Richard Chown said:

Moderating a forum is finding a balance.   This forum has been running for over a decade now.  Firstly I must say a thank you to all the donators that help us continue each year.  Firstly, the terms and conditions that people agree to when they sign up should be a indication that we do not tolerate any language that maybe deemed highly offensive.   We have a feature that allows members to flag content that they deem offensive which will be reviewed by admin and moderators who are online.   

I think as adults we all know what is 'banter' and what is crossing the line.   We all love a bit of football gossip.

There are other moderators on here that help as nobody can be monitoring 24/7.  We just ask as a community, be kind to each other.

 

No 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

Moderating a forum is finding a balance.   This forum has been running for over a decade now.  Firstly I must say a thank you to all the donators that help us continue each year.  Firstly, the terms and conditions that people agree to when they sign up should be a indication that we do not tolerate any language that maybe deemed highly offensive.   We have a feature that allows members to flag content that they deem offensive which will be reviewed by admin and moderators who are online.   

I think as adults we all know what is 'banter' and what is crossing the line.   We all love a bit of football gossip.

There are other moderators on here that help as nobody can be monitoring 24/7.  We just ask as a community, be kind to each other.

 

Well said Richard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It does seem to be the same few people who must make tiresome comments about the same few people or clubs - surely it wouldn't be difficult to censure them either for a short period of time or permanently if necessary.  How about doing away with pseudonyms and using the real names - I'm more than happy to do it coz I'm not trying to hide 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, le boss said:

It does seem to be the same few people who must make tiresome comments about the same few people or clubs - surely it wouldn't be difficult to censure them either for a short period of time or permanently if necessary.  How about doing away with pseudonyms and using the real names - I'm more than happy to do it coz I'm not trying to hide 

Is it usual or unusual to use pseudonyms on a forum I wonder ? Doesn't worry me personally, but I guess some folk may feel a bit hesitant to reveal their true identity.

A vote on the subject would be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post Jon. Hypocritical as I have a username myself, having set the account up almost 10yrs ago. Still got a foul throw in my locker, but happy to reveal my identity whenever I’ve been asked. I’ve followed this forum since I started men’s football and it’s a shame, but it’s a reflection on society. Mostly, people are good, but there are also some people who want to spoil a party. Can’t change people like that unfortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that expecting people to expose true identity on any forum is wrought with risks.  I, for example, am more than happy to have anything I say about Cornish football associated to my True ID, but there are plenty of people out there who can extrapolate True ID from this forum into something much more real world and sinister, and that is why the concept of of online anonymity exists.

Personally, I'm quite new to this forum, and as a (Cornish) non-league obsessive who has moved away it's an invaluable tool and community to keep in touch with what's happening back home, but I have to echo Jon - the negativity is astounding.  Every topic and thread seems to end up being the same old names poking "fun" at the same people/clubs.  Criticisms of Massey, criticisms of clubs spending money, criticisms of players moving to earn, criticisms of certain people not attending matches (in one particular case which I'm sure we could all identify it almost feels like online bullying at times) - it starts to feel less like banter and more like personally motivated agendas.

Not really sure what the solution is?  Maybe more aggressive moderation?  Maybe a more robust self-policing policy in people calling out rubbish chat?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GRTourist said:

Not really sure what the solution is?  Maybe more aggressive moderation?  Maybe a more robust self-policing policy in people calling out rubbish chat?

There is no solution to human nature. 

Jealousy, coveting, aggression, bullying go with love, understanding, helpfulness and all the other emotions that make us all what we are.

Some have more of one than the other and it will come out on here as it does in real life, it's reflected in the news everyday. On the streets its controlled by policing, armies, governments, on here by a moderator/s simply a reflection of the world and society itself. 

I'll say it again - its human nature. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame because I quite enjoy having a good read of peoples match reports and how they saw the game from their perspective. I can think of a few who have relished typing up a 1000 word essay as a match report making it entertaining and funny. Sadly it seems there are less and less of these, a rise in the personal insults and abuse and I can't help feel it distracts significantly from the football part of the forum

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't the troublemakers get banned? Ban them for 24 hours. Then, if they carry on, ban them completely.

I know we're all adults. But it's hard for some people to act like one (I know, I live with one).

Plus, I've noticed that posts by the Admin can't be "reacted" to (i.e. liked or thanked). Why? I'm sure there are many posts that Dave Deacon has made, where users might have wanted to thank him, or "like" his reply (or reacted in some other way). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Devils@Dusk said:

Why don't the troublemakers get banned? Ban them for 24 hours. Then, if they carry on, ban them completely.

I know we're all adults. But it's hard for some people to act like one (I know, I live with one).

Plus, I've noticed that posts by the Admin can't be "reacted" to (i.e. liked or thanked). Why? I'm sure there are many posts that Dave Deacon has made, where users might have wanted to thank him, or "like" his reply (or reacted in some other way). 

I am not surprised that you stick to a pseudonym, reading your first paragraph (last sentence). Or maybe she doesn’t read the forum! I completely agree with your latter point and have had to resort to a quote and emoji on occasions 💙🏆

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 08:32, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There is no solution to human nature. 

Jealousy, coveting, aggression, bullying go with love, understanding, helpfulness and all the other emotions that make us all what we are.

Some have more of one than the other and it will come out on here as it does in real life, it's reflected in the news everyday. On the streets its controlled by policing, armies, governments, on here by a moderator/s simply a reflection of the world and society itself. 

I'll say it again - its human nature. 

Very profound older sir and very true. You've obviously been to the University of Life. 😊 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

As a dead Anglo-Jewish First World War poet from London who was even shorter than Keats, it has always been my desire to be resurrected as a six-foot St Just anarchist with two left feet ? As Walt Whitman write :" I am large, I contain multitudes."

Careful Rodney you might get Sectioned for such sentiments 🙂. As for the resurrection, maybe we could talk about that if we meet again sir.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 08:02, Keith B said:

Careful Rodney you might get Sectioned for such sentiments 🙂. As for the resurrection, maybe we could talk about that if we meet again sir.

That would be nice, Keith. I had planned a Second Coming over Xmas but alas, social distancing rules preclude me from breaking bread in Emmaus again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...