Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash v Newquay

I have been down in Plymouth from the Midlands for a few days so thought I'd 'tick off' Saltash, they were one of the few grounds down that way that I hadn't ticked as every time I've been in the area for several years they have been away!

Nice set up, I have been to several worse Southern League grounds in my time. Easy to find. Plenty of room in the car park. Virus procedures very good, from temperature testing, track and trace by app or paper, one way system, two out of every three seats closed off. As far as I could see most people were being sensible. Decent pitch. Oh, and a decent half time pasty as well. Excellent programme. Friendly and helpful officials. I always take in a game when I'm down south two or three times a season, and also watch some step 6 football in the Midlands, and feel that in general the standards in the SWPL are better than in the equivalent league up here.

The surprising thing to me was how poor Saltash were, I was certainly expecting more from them. But a lot of this was down to the way Newquay played, and they deserve a lot of credit. They set up in what looked like 4-5-1 with very disciplined defending and lightening quick breaks when the chance came. I don't know the names but the wide right midfielder (Louis something possibly) ran rings round whoever tried to mark/tackle him. Saltash did a lot of passing around at the back, but showed no idea of how to break down the Newquay defence, with a lot of high balls being picked off by the defenders. Newquay's movement on and off the ball was far superior to Saltash. The only problem for Newquay was that they created so many excellent chances, many ending up in one on the keeper, but missed the majority - no joke but they could have had double figures if only they could take their chances. The surprise was that the score line ended up so close, but this did not reflect the game. The strong end to end wind may have contributed a bit!

As an ex referee I am loath to comment on officials, but yesterday's ref was very inconsistent to say the least. Numerous very strange decisions. Several bad fouls ignored, but free kicks given for virtually nothing. I lost count of the number of cards, a lot of them unnecessary in my opinion, and I felt that his performance was possibly the main reason why several players became a bit frustrated and some lost a bit of self control at times. I had to leave bang on the whistle, but just saw a couple of cards flashed as the players left the field, and heard his whistle being blown a lot as I was in the car park - I don't know what went on and haven't seen it reported as yet. A shame as from the side I thought that on the whole the game was played in reasonably good spirit. In common with a lot of step 6/7 football, two  assistants who tried  but failed to be able to keep up with play, leading to several iffy offside/ball out of play calls. Sorry, no offence meant.

Overall, as a neutral, I enjoyed my visit and I'll look forward to being able to return at some stage, hopefully when Saltash are back on top form!

Sounds like your beloved Saltash weren’t great either! 

The difference being that Saltash are a well established and experienced SWPL club; whereas the Referee in question is a newly promoted level 4.

I’ve no doubt that the referee made a few mistakes, EVERY referee on the planet does. I don’t, however, see him posting on this forum about how “Shite” Saltash were.

Why do clubs and players feel it’s acceptable to publicly slate a referee and yet don’t comment on their own shortfalls using the same platform?

I agree, Saltash were bad, but I’ve given credit for Newquay being very good.  I am the first to congratulate an official of he has had a good game,but this one was particularly bad.  It’s a vicious circle, as any decent refs will get promoted to a higher level and we are left with the dross

53 minutes ago, TimmyRaa said:

I agree, Saltash were bad, but I’ve given credit for Newquay being very good.  I am the first to congratulate an official of he has had a good game,but this one was particularly bad.  It’s a vicious circle, as any decent refs will get promoted to a higher level and we are left with the dross

To a certain extent you’re correct; however, there are some very good referees officiating on the SWPL. The referee appointed to the Saltash vs Newquay game will undoubtably become one the very good officials, he has improved dramatically over the years and will continue to progress as he gains more experience at the higher level.

I do find it interesting that you’re happy to publicly slate the referee as an individual but haven’t named and shamed any players that weren’t up to standard that day. Why is that? 

The option to blame a referees performance for a loss in an attempt to hide the inadequacy of a teams performance, is an option that is often seized upon.
If referees were as perfect as some appear to think they should be, they would be earning big money in the Football League.
Premiership refs, even with the help of V.A.R. still make mistakes
We have watched referees in the lower echelons of local football who are in their 60s and 70s but give their time for the love of the game.
How about some of the people who offer criticism of refs, taking up the whistle to show the present incumbents how it should be done, age is obviously not a barrier.
We all know that referees are capable of good or bad performances on the day but so are players who shouldn't forget that without the whistle man (good or bad) they wouldnt have a game.
Am I a referee ? no !! but I have an appreciation of where we would be without them.

If the ref has an unfavourable mark for his performance on a regular basis he can be downgraded, or have his/her chance of promotion to a higher level ended, both of which have a financial implication.
Our personal opinion is that although we have witnessed some dubious decisions by the men in black, we are thankful that they are prepared to come back and endure the verbal abuse that comes their way from all corners, which from a selfish point of view allows us to watch the game we love.
Yes wrong decisions made by the ref can spoil a game, but we have yet to witness the perfect player who gets everything right .

As an assistant for my club, I have tried to retire for the last 3 seasons but as yet our club cannot get a qualified replacement, I wonder why? You have to have a thick skin when becoming an official but it’s not right. If you report someone to the referee you are laughed at and ridiculed. Nothing will change until clubs take control themselves.

A referee will make, on average, 245 decisions per game.

If a referee make 1 noticeable error during the 90mins this will be discussed to the cows come home. What won’t be discussed is the other 99.5% of decisions that were made!

Does a player/team/manager ever go through a game getting more than 99.5% decisions/attempted passes/shots/tackles spot on? I doubt it!