Cornwall Football Forum

SUNDAY INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER

4 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Absolute Rubbish now bring back reports on local matches where ther was proper write ups and reports and Man of the match .Its all about Devon Football we in Cornwall dont give a toss about Devon football ,it seems to concentrate moreon Rugby now i wont be buying it much longer unless it improves

To be fair though there are very few reports on the soccer forum any more 

Gone are the days when the Football Herald and Independent were a must read for football fans. Just another reminder for the more elderly amongst us, taint like twas in our days lads!! 😁

AveJust getting worse by the week!! The Match info you do manage to get are just goalscorers copied off Twitter etc! The football coverage if you can call it that is the same 5 pages covering across about 5 counties! And they put it up to £2 like Bazzer said. Used to enjoy the Indy on a Sunday morning with a coffee reading individual match reports from the South west Peninsula League, combination league and East Cornwall with a star man etc etc. Columns from Mike Sampson and Dave Deacon always an interesting read. Even catered for the Duchy and Trelawny league reports.Could spend an hour or two reading it. Now it’s one big block column if you’re lucky with half the games and scorers missing!! Not even a league table to be had!? It’s a pick it up, quick glance for 2 minutes and chuck it back on the shelf job these days and go and buy the non league paper for £1.50!! Sad times for a great old paper, should probably have never brought it back when it got terminated a couple of years ago in fairness.

Sunday I dependant... Get your name in that you thought you were  a superhero back in the day ... In relatilty a local rag. 

Saw many guys over the years run down the shop to see if they were 'Star Man'...  Yet the old pros Bickle, Torrence, Quinn, Miller, Flynn, Morris etc wouldn't give a rats ass wha the 'local' paper said 🤣🤣🤣

Infact Im sure some people would text Mike Sampson personally after a game to get a mention ...

Just now, leedsunited said:

Sunday Independant... Get your name in that you thought you were  a superhero back in the day ... In relatilty a local rag. 

Saw many guys over the years run down the shop to see if they were 'Star Man'...  Yet the old pros Bickle, Torrence, Quinn, Miller, Flynn, Morris etc wouldn't give a rats ass wha the 'local' paper said 🤣🤣🤣

Infact Im sure some people would text Mike Sampson personally after a game to get a mention ...

On 11/10/2020 at 17:11, Bazzer said:

Well what a waste of £2  today very few match reports from any local teams and I shall look 

inside the paper before purchasing in future ,come on Independent get your act together.

Also put the results and forthcoming fixtures seperate as in the past.

It can only be as good as the people sending reports in for each game. Lack of interest in people wanting to do match reports these days 

• 2 weeks later...

I have jut wrote a letter to the Sunday Independendant saying i will nolonger buy it unless  the Cornish football reports are back in the paper  you get a couple of lines  now and most matches theres nothing like yesterdays match i watched St AUSTELL vs Liskeard nothing mentioned all Pete  Masters  cares about is Truro City and Rugby ,doesn tcare about Cornish Football at all it seems . Also £2 for it is way to expensive we not need pages of tv programs in there wait and see what myletter says they wont like it but should know me by now i dont hold back i write what i think

I wonder how much the likes of Mike Sampson was paid by the Independent for spending several hours every Saturday ringing every home team's press contact / manager and then writing up a report on each game by an early evening deadline? If it was peanuts (like I expect it was), I'm not surprised if nobody now wants to do it.

All someone would have to do is go on the sw league site or the clubs sites for the reports they dont gove the scorers or nothin gnow  acracking 4-4 game between Sticker and Newquay but no report .All Pete Masters cares about is his beloved Truro and Devon fotball  ,hes got rid of good people like Chris of the Newquay Voice .It would be nice tohave reports back and we dont need 4pages of tv programswe get them anyway in the Saturday supplement £2 is way ofthe top forwhat there is inthe Independant ihave beenreadin git for at least 60years but not anymore its not worth it

If you're after a local newspaper I think the solution now is to buy one of the weeklys such as the Falmouth/Helston Packet, Bodmin/Newquay/St Austell/Truro Voice or the Cornish Times. Unfortunately though they don't come out until the earliest Tuesday/Wednesday though.

As someone who contributed to the Sunday Independent for many years, I'm sad to say it doesn't really do the business for the Cornish football follower any more.

I would think it isn't doable these days. I personally am from a rugby league background and could knock up a match report in no time for that. But football for match reports is not my forte, plus by the time I have finished social media and only half watched a game because I am updating Twitter and Facebook as well as updates for Radio St Austell Bay, I miss loads. I just want a couple of beers before travelling home to Devon after a match. From leaving home at 06:30 to getting home at 23:00 if the train runs on time, I really don't have the energy or inclination to be writing match reports. 

9 hours ago, Eisern Union said:

I would think it isn't doable these days. I personally am from a rugby league background and could knock up a match report in no time for that. But football for match reports is not my forte, plus by the time I have finished social media and only half watched a game because I am updating Twitter and Facebook as well as updates for Radio St Austell Bay, I miss loads. I just want a couple of beers before travelling home to Devon after a match. From leaving home at 06:30 to getting home at 23:00 if the train runs on time, I really don't have the energy or inclination to be writing match reports. 

Must take a lot longer going to Berlin and back!

18 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I have jut wrote a letter to the Sunday Independendant saying i will nolonger buy it unless  the Cornish football reports are back in the paper  you get a couple of lines  now and most matches theres nothing like yesterdays match i watched St AUSTELL vs Liskeard nothing mentioned all Pete  Masters  cares about is Truro City and Rugby ,doesn tcare about Cornish Football at all it seems . Also £2 for it is way to expensive we not need pages of tv programs in there wait and see what myletter says they wont like it but should know me by now i dont hold back i write what i think

Real shame that Peninsula League football isn't getting wider coverage. The league (especially in the west) is shaping up to be one of the most interesting and open for seasons with new teams and players coming to the fore. With Argyle, Exeter and Torquay not currently allowed to let spectators in, it is a golden opportunity to get new faces interested and through the gates.

I have written to the paper and below is part of their reply. I too have cancelled any more of the paper. Not really convinced it is Covid led as a problem - more like trying to reach everybody but reaching none.  The amount of buyers from the local leagues up to Southern must have been enormous, trying to cover a larger area is not viable. 

"What I can tell you is that, largely due to the impact of Covid-19, the Independent is now running at a reduced capacity and pagination (eight pages of sports news and four pages of statistics).

Therefore, sadly, we are unable to offer as in-depth a coverage into the heart of South West sport as we once could. Instead, we are focusing on a sliding scale, from elite sport down to the grassroots, on quality and merit of each story rather than the vast quantity we were once able to feature.

The situation, as I am sure you can imagine, is evolving day by day at the moment and it remains to be seen what the Indy will look like when things return to ‘normal’. "

17 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

If you're after a local newspaper I think the solution now is to buy one of the weeklys such as the Falmouth/Helston Packet, Bodmin/Newquay/St Austell/Truro Voice or the Cornish Times. Unfortunately though they don't come out until the earliest Tuesday/Wednesday though.

As someone who contributed to the Sunday Independent for many years, I'm sad to say it doesn't really do the business for the Cornish football follower any more.

Nothing in Camborne/ Redruth area though Dave

9 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Must take a lot longer going to Berlin and back!

Not as much as you would think. If the flight times would match train times, I could leave and be back at the same time as I am with Newquay. Granted, I do stuff up the club, so that adds time. But if I lived in London, I could leave later than I do to Newquay, have a beer and a bratwurst, watch the game and be home faster than I can from Newquay to Teignmouth. If Exeter Airport can sort itself out after Flybe folded, I reckon I would be able to do it in less time to watch Union than I could Newquay. 

2 hours ago, Eisern Union said:

Not as much as you would think. If the flight times would match train times, I could leave and be back at the same time as I am with Newquay. Granted, I do stuff up the club, so that adds time. But if I lived in London, I could leave later than I do to Newquay, have a beer and a bratwurst, watch the game and be home faster than I can from Newquay to Teignmouth. If Exeter Airport can sort itself out after Flybe folded, I reckon I would be able to do it in less time to watch Union than I could Newquay. 

Bratwurst...nice, I like a schnitzel myself.

We're twinned with a German football club, had a few good times over there...Hesedorf.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Bratwurst...nice, I like a schnitzel myself.

We're twinned with a German football club, had a few good times over there...Hesedorf.

That's brilliant, how do you get twinned with a German football club? It is a pretty sad indication that you can potentially get to Berlin and back in about the same time you I can do a 160 mile round trip on our train network. 

11 hours ago, Home Waters said:
I have written to the paper and below is part of their reply. I too have cancelled any more of the paper. Not really convinced it is Covid led as a problem - more like trying to reach everybody but reaching none.  The amount of buyers from the local leagues up to Southern must have been enormous, trying to cover a larger area is not viable. 

"What I can tell you is that, largely due to the impact of Covid-19, the Independent is now running at a reduced capacity and pagination (eight pages of sports news and four pages of statistics).

Therefore, sadly, we are unable to offer as in-depth a coverage into the heart of South West sport as we once could. Instead, we are focusing on a sliding scale, from elite sport down to the grassroots, on quality and merit of each story rather than the vast quantity we were once able to feature.

The situation, as I am sure you can imagine, is evolving day by day at the moment and it remains to be seen what the Indy will look like when things return to ‘normal’. "

That response from publishers is absolutely bollocks.  The paper has been going downhill for years alongside the West Briton and Cornishman.  Used to be superb local coverage even down to Trelawny League  with Rappo's reports.  I stopped buying it about 4 years ago because it has become crap.

1 hour ago, Eisern Union said:

That's brilliant, how do you get twinned with a German football club? It is a pretty sad indication that you can potentially get to Berlin and back in about the same time you I can do a 160 mile round trip on our train network. 

Don't know how it came about,  happened before I joined the club.

Yes, it always surprises me how quickly we can travel the world but struggle to go a few miles here.

Once did a train from our holiday spot down the coast to Barcelona, 65 miles, hit every station en route at exactly the correct time, there and back for a fiver!

Delighted to have my early Saturday evenings back to be honest clubman!! Especially working nights half the time! Don’t miss doing 100mph down Sticker bypass to get to Truro by 8pm after doing 10 combo reports!! 👍️ Used to be a pain chasing people but someone’s got to do it I thought! 🤔 As everyone says it’s a shame bout the Indy these days, a great old paper! Remember fighting over it with my dad at the breakfast table on a Sunday morning, if I made it home from the night before!?! 😀 Although the Indy has gone to the dogs there are still some quality local papers like the Falmouth Packet, Cornish Times, and the local Voice papers are all excellent midweek editions for local footie. Strange old times, great that we’ve got this forum to have a moan and groan!! 😀👍

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes, it always surprises me how quickly we can travel the world but struggle to go a few miles here.

Once did a train from our holiday spot down the coast to Barcelona, 65 miles, hit every station en route at exactly the correct time, there and back for a fiver!

The South West (especially Cornwall) certainly is poor with regards to transport.Public transport and road travel is always something that every government pledges to sort out, but never does. The section of sea front track at Dawlish is a prime example. When I travel back to Liskeard to see my family, the journey from North London always seems to take around 6-7 hours. Contrast that with door to hotel in Paris (which we did last year),that took about 3 hours via underground and Eurostar. 

9 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Delighted to have my early Saturday evenings back to be honest clubman!! Especially working nights half the time! Don’t miss doing 100mph down Sticker bypass to get to Truro by 8pm after doing 10 combo reports!! 👍️ Used to be a pain chasing people but someone’s got to do it I thought! 🤔 As everyone says it’s a shame bout the Indy these days, a great old paper! Remember fighting over it with my dad at the breakfast table on a Sunday morning, if I made it home from the night before!?! 😀 Although the Indy has gone to the dogs there are still some quality local papers like the Falmouth Packet, Cornish Times, and the local Voice papers are all excellent midweek editions for local footie. Strange old times, great that we’ve got this forum to have a moan and groan!! 😀👍

Even better was the Saturday night Football Herald. There would always be a queue waiting outside the Kings Hotel in Falmouth at 8.30pm for it to be dropped off from Plymouth. The whole paper was devoted to local football with all the afternoons matches reported on.

Yes the Evening Herald was the Best for Plymouth Argyle and local (Devon/Cornwall)l football-never been bettered.

Big crowds in Camborne Square about 8pm waiting for that van to speed into Town.

Imagine the frantic deadline for printing a full front page report of Argyle and pictures plus all SWL reports up to half time--Inside was all the news and gossip of all the local leagues and clubs in depth.

With all the media and Email assistance of today Papers are pathetic  in comparison to The Herald.

21 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Yes the Evening Herald was the Best for Plymouth Argyle and local (Devon/Cornwall)l football-never been bettered.

Big crowds in Camborne Square about 8pm waiting for that van to speed into Town.

Imagine the frantic deadline for printing a full front page report of Argyle and pictures plus all SWL reports up to half time--Inside was all the news and gossip of all the local leagues and clubs in depth.

With all the media and Email assistance of today Papers are pathetic  in comparison to The Herald.

When did it stop, also is there an Evening Herald any more?

I will always remember watching Spurs at Argyle (F A Cup 1963) and on our way home from North Road railway station seeing Jimmy Greaves in his carriage reading his own Herald headlines " Greaves sinks Argyle"---Only one of the Spurs players returned an autograph through the window -John White (Scotland) who tragically died later being struck by lightening sheltering on the golf course.

My 1st ever game was to watch Argyle vs Spurs but it was a reserve match and Jimmy Greaves had just come back from playing in ItALY my dad dragged me up to watch that match and i was hooked and watched Argyle for over40  years but stopped when a Steward grabbed my camera and ripped the film out of my camera but the main reason i stopped was when Argyle resigned  a certain player and i was disgusted by that hes a nice bloke but iwas not going to pay to watch him and havnt been back there since .My dad use to deliver the Evening Herald here in Newquay

2 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Even better was the Saturday night Football Herald. There would always be a queue waiting outside the Kings Hotel in Falmouth at 8.30pm for it to be dropped off from Plymouth. The whole paper was devoted to local football with all the afternoons matches reported on.

Anybody else remember the crowds outside the windows of TV showrooms from about 4.30pm on a Saturday afternoon watching the vidiprinter scores? Fond memories, especially in the week that Frank Bough passed away.

6 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Cabbage Williams used to sell them mike, never knew his first name. Lived in Wellington close

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Anybody else remember the crowds outside the windows of TV showrooms from about 4.30pm on a Saturday afternoon watching the vidiprinter scores? Fond memories, especially in the week that Frank Bough passed away.

Yes, there used to be a rent a set shop next door to the Herald office in Falmouth!

On 27/10/2020 at 00:01, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Sorry, I don't know which club you are with? I have not been on here that long.....