Cornwall Football Forum

Callington Woes

What on earth has happened at Callington?

Grandson showed me something on Twitter about them sacking the man who was there for a long time as a player I saw they also sacked the coach who left a very honest tweet back at them! 

club looks like it’s falling apart..!

The Liskeard strategy Is following in the same footsteps as Millbrook, where a group of players have stuck together-Falmouth are now in their 4th.season of local players and the united enthusiasm on and off the park is as strong as ever.

The St.Austell reserve team of last season is now coming to fruition in the SWPL and looking around Wadebridge and Camelford have persevered to grow in status.--probably other clubs as well as  it seems the new way forward is to bond and improve facilities

Great post Mike, a team of talented individuals is great, but moulding a proper team of players that become great mates on and off the pitch and who can play a bit as well, and stay loyal to the club they love playing for, despite better offers season after season will usually be successful in the end. I was lucky enough to be a part of such a team at Falmouth in the late eighties and early nineties, all of us even hated missing training on a Tuesday night, sitting around a big table together after a hard session sometimes for a couple of hours chatting and having a laugh usually about our end of season Holland tour! Great days and we are all still best of mates to this day apart from a couple of special guys we lost along the way who we never forget. Tommy can probably explain what we had better but like you said Mike that strong bond will get you the points on the pitch and well done to the clubs putting facilities first, great to see all the ground improvements around these days 👍

Callington will continue to Fall apart as long as the people in charge remain, to much control for people who think they know too much. How new managers can come in with a newly formed team and apparantly a shed load of injuries to key players and expect the everything to just fall into place, that's not how football works. One of the close supporters told me the chairman continued to undermine the manager with team decisions etc... And now not only do they force the managers out but what they've done is made many unhappy, and will no doubt lose many others within the club if nothings changed. 

On 09/10/2020 at 14:51, RAPPO said:

Great post Mike, a team of talented individuals is great, but moulding a proper team of players that become great mates on and off the pitch and who can play a bit as well, and stay loyal to the club they love playing for, despite better offers season after season will usually be successful in the end. I was lucky enough to be a part of such a team at Falmouth in the late eighties and early nineties, all of us even hated missing training on a Tuesday night, sitting around a big table together after a hard session sometimes for a couple of hours chatting and having a laugh usually about our end of season Holland tour! Great days and we are all still best of mates to this day apart from a couple of special guys we lost along the way who we never forget. Tommy can probably explain what we had better but like you said Mike that strong bond will get you the points on the pitch and well done to the clubs putting facilities first, great to see all the ground improvements around these days 👍

livin in the past son !! money = success unless ur steve massey lol just look at parkway they are doin it right but its costin em big dollars !! keep a loyal group together is gr8 but it aint the formula 4 trophies m8 , players are only as loyal as there options and most these players dont got many options !! u dont hear of parkway or truro coming in 4 these lads so they aint goin nowhere when they get a full 90 mins n a cheeky pint , not to mention a brown envelope so of course there gunna pretend to be best m8s !!

16 minutes ago, swilly bingrove said:

livin in the past son !! money = success unless ur steve massey lol just look at parkway they are doin it right but its costin em big dollars !! keep a loyal group together is gr8 but it aint the formula 4 trophies m8 , players are only as loyal as there options and most these players dont got many options !! u dont hear of parkway or truro coming in 4 these lads so they aint goin nowhere when they get a full 90 mins n a cheeky pint , not to mention a brown envelope so of course there gunna pretend to be best m8s !!

Wow!!! At least Rappo knows who is father is now - your rudeness is breathtaking!! 

Haha cheers Bash, don’t get called son much these days at 53 years old mate! Think old Swinny likes a wind up and a bite doesn’t he? 😂 He might have a point though, not sure the loyalty is in the game like it was back in our day, one club players etc, don’t tend to see too many nowadays with players jumping clubs for a few more quid. Still a believer in team spirit and our end of season 5 dayers to Amsters bonded us even more! Nobody ever wanted to leave Town even with a few double your money offers for most of the lads over the seasons. Matter of opinion I suppose? That’s mine Swinny old son!

8 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Haha cheers Bash, don’t get called son much these days at 53 years old mate! Think old Swinny likes a wind up and a bite doesn’t he? 😂 He might have a point though, not sure the loyalty is in the game like it was back in our day, one club players etc, don’t tend to see too many nowadays with players jumping clubs for a few more quid. Still a believer in team spirit and our end of season 5 dayers to Amsters bonded us even more! Nobody ever wanted to leave Town even with a few double your money offers for most of the lads over the seasons. Matter of opinion I suppose? That’s mine Swinny old son!

Mark here is a good example of togetherness from yesterday's Town line up

Appearances- Joe Cooper 285-Ryan Barnes 199-James Ward 144-Luke Brabyn 138-Dave Broglino 122-Ollie Moody 114-Ryan Martt 113-Tom Annear 107-Tim Nixon 92-Martyn Duff 87-Scott Kellow 35-Luke Barner 30-Toby Clark 20-Tom Walter 10

Yeah great example that Mike! Westy has kept the majority of that side together for 3 or 4 seasons now and they play for Town, their mates, fantastic supporters, management they like and respect for probably about half the budget of at least 3/4 other clubs in the league I could mention if wished. Clubs that have not won the Cornwall Senior Cup and the South Western League Cup in the past few seasons!! I rest my case your honour 🤓

56 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Appearances- Joe Cooper 285-Ryan Barnes 199-James Ward 144-Luke Brabyn 138-Dave Broglino 122-Ollie Moody 114-Ryan Martt 113-Tom Annear 107-Tim Nixon 92-Martyn Duff 87-Scott Kellow 35-Luke Barner 30-Toby Clark 20-Tom Walter 10

Some good numbers there and all credit to them but James Ward has been a bit of a boomerang though lo. Hopefully he will stay this time and what about your guest player Mr Annear - what are his numbers like???

42 minutes ago, le boss said:

Some good numbers there and all credit to them but James Ward has been a bit of a boomerang though lo. Hopefully he will stay this time and what about your guest player Mr Annear - what are his numbers like???

You can't blame James and Jordan for trying to play at a higher level.  Then there are players in our league that play for certain clubs that COULD play higher but for some inexplicable reason choose not to........

3 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Falmouth had a player for the last couple of years, think name was Luke Johnson, hot headed winger/forward, good player on his day, what has happened to him?

Haha true that Older! 😂 Can’t blame players for having a crack at a higher league I think Bash, not many leave to go sideways and it’s testament to Town that they want to come back. Good stats from Jordy as well Mike! 👍 Mike sorry, another question! When I scored my 100th goal for Town at St.Austell, how many appearances had I made please? All my scrapbooks are out the storage unit!! No room for them in Rach’s modern house!!! 🤔😤 Think it took me 49 games to get to my 50th but can’t remember how many games to get to a 100 goals? Think the injuries started to come in thick and fast not long after and wrecked me decent stats a bit!! Cheers Mike 👍🎯💛🖤

On 11/10/2020 at 16:52, RAPPO said:

Haha true that Older! 😂 Can’t blame players for having a crack at a higher league I think Bash, not many leave to go sideways and it’s testament to Town that they want to come back. Good stats from Jordy as well Mike! 👍 Mike sorry, another question! When I scored my 100th goal for Town at St.Austell, how many appearances had I made please? All my scrapbooks are out the storage unit!! No room for them in Rach’s modern house!!! 🤔😤 Think it took me 49 games to get to my 50th but can’t remember how many games to get to a 100 goals? Think the injuries started to come in thick and fast not long after and wrecked me decent stats a bit!! Cheers Mike 👍🎯💛🖤

not the most humble brag rappo lad !! maybe check ur wikipedia or failin that sky sports ?? still gr8 achievment tho well done 

Haha thanks very much Swilly, not the bragging type though mate. Ask anyone who knows me. If it’s there in black & white you ain’t got to talk yourself up have you!? Just that Mike knows everything Falmouth Town and I’m a bit of a sad anorach for stats! Probably just lazy as well to be honest, could go out the storage unit and root through 40 years of scrapbooks but it’s just easier to ask Mike who’s a Town legend! No worries if its a pain by the way Mike 👍💛🖤

9 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Haha thanks very much Swilly, not the bragging type though mate. Ask anyone who knows me. If it’s there in black & white you ain’t got to talk yourself up have you!? Just that Mike knows everything Falmouth Town and I’m a bit of a sad anorach for stats! Probably just lazy as well to be honest, could go out the storage unit and root through 40 years of scrapbooks but it’s just easier to ask Mike who’s a Town legend! No worries if its a pain by the way Mike 👍💛🖤

What was the first goal you recorded and the last?

My mum started doing scrapbooks when I first started playing men’s football for Malabar at 13 Dave, god bless her. Never counted the goals until I started men’s football in the old Mining League, right through the leagues up to the veterans league recently. As long as it was in a competitive league or cup mate (don’t count friendlies). 

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

My mum started doing scrapbooks when I first started playing men’s football for Malabar at 13 Dave, god bless her. Never counted the goals until I started men’s football in the old Mining League, right through the leagues up to the veterans league recently. As long as it was in a competitive league or cup mate (don’t count friendlies). 

out of interest wots ur career timeline m8 ? couldnt find ur wikipedia page and i didnt follow footy in the olden days lol that aint a dig just wanna know wot the fuss is about tbf so im guessin u must of played a high level 

15 minutes ago, swilly bingrove said:

out of interest wots ur career timeline m8 ? couldnt find ur wikipedia page and i didnt follow footy in the olden days lol that aint a dig just wanna know wot the fuss is about tbf so im guessin u must of played a high level 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cornwall-hitman-more-goals-pele-9885517

Cheers Monsoon and WOTP. Brought a few memories back! Went a bit mad for a month around that time when I eventually got the 2000th in 2017! A French documentary, filmed me and the Mrs for 3 days, interviews in magazines in France, Brazil, Italy etc, Fourfourtwo, Daily Mirror, Daily Express, online interviews, even one from China! Bit of a struggle that one!  Got to thank Deacs who was inundated at the time being Mr Cornish Football Esq. Proper 15 minutes of fame it was, forgotten about now!! 😂 Played men’s football from the age of 13 and I still manage 20 minutes for the vets when I can at 53 and 19 stone!! So took from 1981 to 2017 to get those 2000 so maybe not so special really!!?  40 years!! 😂 Had every injury going but nothing better than still having a kick about with and against your old mates on a Sunday morning 👍

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

sounds like he failed to make it at a level above cornwall leg]agues , he must of either lacked ambition or lacked quality to move on up - nothin more than ur local strikers these days !! e.gg. ryan richards n at least hes got sum ambition !! cant blame it tho if ur gunna score 1000 goals in ur local sunday leagues i guess theres still sum enjoyment , i just question the desiar !!

Scored 490 goals in the old South Western League which I played mainly in between the age of 17 and 36 which as anybody who knows Cornish football is a bit better than local Sunday League standard! Had spells at Bristol City as a schoolboy, Exeter City as a teenager and Halifax Town on trial. A combination of injuries and probably not good enough was why I played most of my football in Cornwall and Devon. People around here know what I’ve done and not done in football so don’t feel the need to explain my ambition and I presume you mean desire to “Swilly Bingrove”  but thanks for the interest in my life. Might be time to get one Yourself!?  🤔🙄

44 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah spot on MQ, I’ll ignore it and hopefully it’ll go away! 😂 Thanks for that mate, appreciate it, long time no see! Hopefully catch you some time during the season. Best wishes mate x

Never had the chance to see you play Mark but your record speaks for itself! Also finally meeting you at Sticker and chatting about all things football it was a real treat!

Hi Ray

yeah likewise mate, was good to meet you and have a chat with yourself and Gordon. Talented bloke, loved his local footie cartoons in the Voice! Got us all spot on every week! 😀👍 All the best, catch up sometime during the season no doubt Ray 👍

7 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Scored 490 goals in the old South Western League which I played mainly in between the age of 17 and 36 which as anybody who knows Cornish football is a bit better than local Sunday League standard! Had spells at Bristol City as a schoolboy, Exeter City as a teenager and Halifax Town on trial. A combination of injuries and probably not good enough was why I played most of my football in Cornwall and Devon. People around here know what I’ve done and not done in football so don’t feel the need to explain my ambition and I presume you mean desire to “Swilly Bingrove”  but thanks for the interest in my life. Might be time to get one Yourself!?  🤔🙄

gr8 achievements !! didnt mean to offend u , just interested why u woudlnt of gone higher , for example u dont see strikers gettin 50 league goals in league 2 or conference cus theyd be at a bigger team if they were that good !! i was maybe thinkin u didnt fancy steppin up or maybe u just found ur level and was happy banging goals in every week in local footy . either way i aint slatin those stats lad !!

12 hours ago, swilly bingrove said:

gr8 achievements !! didnt mean to offend u , just interested why u woudlnt of gone higher , for example u dont see strikers gettin 50 league goals in league 2 or conference cus theyd be at a bigger team if they were that good !! i was maybe thinkin u didnt fancy steppin up or maybe u just found ur level and was happy banging goals in every week in local footy . either way i aint slatin those stats lad !!

I think you'd be  better off spending less time on here and more time on an English language course 

16 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Yeah spot on MQ, I’ll ignore it and hopefully it’ll go away! 😂 Thanks for that mate, appreciate it, long time no see! Hopefully catch you some time during the season. Best wishes mate x

Looks like you've actually upset somebody Rappo other than all those 'keepers and defenders you made look very ordinary. Anybody who knows anything about football knows you were the Cornish Pele, a complete star and a total gent who certainly doesn't have to justify themselves to some baiter. Hope the boss is all good too mate andshe is still visiting the tea huts huts of Cornwall. See you soon bud x

Another defeat for callington last night. Seem to be a few new faces in their team, but still had the same outcome. Heard some comments and conversations around that the chairman has muscled his way in and upset the whole team. Overheard one conversation saying the players are considering refusing to play because of him. A really sorry state of affairs there. I watched callington against liskeard and early in pre season against torpoint and the management at the time seemed to be saying and doing the right things and the crop of players looked a good footballing group, so it seems odd they have gone and the some of the players have too! Even more so seeing that last night you could've mistaken them for having nobody in the dug-out at all given how little/no instruction came from there.  From the feel and sounds of it, whoever comes in really will have their work cut out. Real shame what's going on there, it has all the makings of a good club, the pitch is good, the viewing from the club house is fantastic.  

Honourable mention for my mate Rappo, seems the legend is still the talk of Cornish football. Long may it continue mate!

Haha thanks for the kind words Bash, don’t seem that long ago we were playing u.18s does it mate!?! Just the 35 years!! 🤔😀 Great times, life flies by! Yeah she only goes footie for the tea huts Bash! Helston still her favourite mate! 👍👌😁 Hopefully catch you this season at a game. Be good to see you as always bud 👍

Cheers Mick! Yeah not quite sure how a Callington thread got turned around on me but thanks for that mate! Like you rightly say though, great set up there these days, shame to lose a real clubman like Sam and his team through one reason or another 🤔 Hope the club can get back on track ASAP mate 

Honourable mention for my mate Rappo, seems the legend is still the talk of Cornish football. Long may it continue mate!

Usually listen to  Rappo and Deacs when I'm in the kitchen cooking. My missus (no interest in football at all) has got to recognise yours and Dave's dulcet tones, comments are often along the lines of "not those two idiots again, what can they possibly find to talk about every week?" 😀

😂😂 Can hear my missus saying the same thing WOTP!! Guess I’m a bit luckier she was brought up with football with her dad playing and managing through her childhood! Weird though, she got no interest watching top level stuff on tv but loves going to a local game live if you like!? Probably the tea huts eh Bash!!? 😂👍

Rappo is a legend and a great bloke as well ,us Cornish Suporters and when i say Cornish supporters, i mean born and bred Cornish people not ones that come from upcountry and know everything about local football and they have no right to crritiscize our Rappo, he was a brilliant player and if he was still playing at his peak now he would still get 30 t0 40 goals a season the defenders are pussycats compared to when he was playing they would kick you upin the air and trod on you as they went pass you i reckon they should even put a statue up down Truro of him lol .Good to see you last week Rappo thanks for the kind words see you at Blazey in  a couple of weeks for the Vase game if you are there .Your a Legend to all us CORNISH folk even some of the ENGLISH reckon you where a pretty good player as well they got toi suppose they are in our County lol .

Mark,

One of the best things I ever did,tipping off Four Four Two about your record.

Had many a good afternoon/evening  stood behind the nets watching you score at Bickland mate.

On one occasion you came round the back of the goal and we all had our hands up to high five as you went past and when you got to me, you smacked me in the face ! swear you did it on purpose and were laughing as you ran off !

Glad to say it's an honour to call you a good friend and I know you won't be paying much attention to certain people on here .

Love to Rachel please.

Steve P

' Up The Town '

Thanks gents, means a lot thankyou. Yeah thanks Steve, love and subscribe to 442 so it was really nice to be in that even though Le Foot magazine in France (their equivalent to 442) gave me 4 pages as opposed to one column! The 2000 goals seemed to mean more abroad, than in my own country and county come to that! Fantastic times at Town weren’t they mate!  Remember you and your dad fondly behind the goal with the other 200/300 F Troop fans, great buzz to score with that support Steve. Never forget the roar!  Haha no not at all mate! If it was someone I respected that knows me and our football I might look in the mirror at my ambition, attitude or desire but someone trying to get a bite hiding behind a joke name don’t really hold much clout in my world bud!! 🙄 Rach sends her love and best wishes and hope to catch up with you sometime, stay safe mate. 💛🖤

Thanks Steve, just realised you are both Steve P!!! 😀 really kind words mate and you are so right!! The centre halves back then didn’t take any prisoners did they Steve!! Probably why I can hardly walk now mate! Would love to play these days, I might not be crippled up like I am today with my knees and ankles!? Good to see you at Blazey with Smokie bless him, What a great friend he is, keep your chin up and keep yourself busy and watching plenty of games if you can mate. And thanks for all the photos over the years Steve, your local football albums would be a great sight to see I reckon!! Got a couple of the Falmouth v Aston Villa ones you gave me, pride of place in my office mate. Take care and stay safe and catch you at footie soon Steve 👍