Cornwall Football Forum

Helston

18 minutes ago, AndyBTFC said:

What is happening at Helston guys? Lost to Liskeard, drew with Newquay and St Dennis, surely they should be beating teams like that? (No disrespect to them)

A blip or something deeper going on?

Saltash now favourites for the league IMO.

It's what happens when you try to buy a team. Same trouble at Bodmin.

Would still have Helston as favourites. Massey (despite his public statements about how much quality he has in his squad) will not hesitate to move players out, and get new ones in. See how quickly he got rid of his keeper.

One win from the last four game league games (and fourteen goals conceded) will, for now, be treated as a blip. They will be hoping that they can get it over and done with early in the season.

It’s the same squad that was all conquering last season and they have too many good players to not be ‘there or there abouts’ come the end of the season.  I do wonder if some of their players have bought into SM’s view as to how great they are and are turning up thinking the game is already won. It is strange though where they seem to struggle to have a full squad at times - Olly Brokenshire playing as CB (despite SM saying he will be the best ever CB in Cornish football history on his interview - no pace and all one footed?), is an example - does he not have other players who are experienced CB’s? - just a thought. 

Just editing my post - as having read it again, I meant no slight to Olly. Just having watched Parkway (who Helston appear to want to emulate) - they have a quality squad PLUS 5 on the bench with quality subs in defence, midfield and up front - Helston imo lack that ‘extra’ in their squad. 

5 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

It’s the same squad that was all conquering last season and they have too many good players to not be ‘there or there abouts’ come the end of the season.  I do wonder if some of their players have bought into SM’s view as to how great they are and are turning up thinking the game is already won. It is strange though where they seem to struggle to have a full squad at times - Olly Brokenshire playing as CB (despite SM saying he will be the best ever CB in Cornish football history on his interview - no pace and all one footed?), is an example - does he not have other players who are experienced CB’s? - just a thought. 

Just editing my post - as having read it again, I meant no slight to Olly. Just having watched Parkway (who Helston appear to want to emulate) - they have a quality squad PLUS 5 on the bench with quality subs in defence, midfield and up front - Helston imo lack that ‘extra’ in their squad. 

Got no chance too emulate or attracting  the players parkway have.  Parkway went and  signed Tiverton and Taunton captains to make sure they get out the league. . If Helston want to do anything they should go and sign the  Truro captain and striker no matter what it cost 

sure the Helston lads are good players but if they want to achieve anything they should be walking that league like parkway did to get promoted 

19 hours ago, 6times said:

Surprised no ones picked up on the fact that the fella lee Robinson is it the assistant last year who took a managers job up the line isn’t there , to me it seems he must of been the one who gave the players the desire and direction , maybe Massey is just an open check book looking for guidance. 

gr8 point !! glyn hooper is the replacement 4 robinson n that aint workin. hooper is a proven fraud who talks his way into roles and hes conned massey big time !! dropped more points already this season than they shud all season long , hooper out or more of the same !!

17 minutes ago, swilly bingrove said:

gr8 point !! glyn hooper is the replacement 4 robinson n that aint workin. hooper is a proven fraud who talks his way into roles and hes conned massey big time !! dropped more points already this season than they shud all season long , hooper out or more of the same !!

Say what you're thinking Billy!!!

I does seem strange how they were all conquering last season. Not much has changed on the playing front. However as already mentioned the back room staff has changed. Looks like Robinson was the brains behind the operation and SM and GH are the blind leading the blind. I’m sure the cheque book will be out and some reinforcements will be heading to Helston before long. Have they dropped to many points to catch the likes of Saltash, Mousehole, Dobwalls who has all started well especially Saltash. 

Helston players being told they are superstars is only inflating their already massive ego's when in reality only a few of them are good players,goldsworthy, tucker, and slateford would get into most sides in this league and have the ability to play in the western league. The rest are run of the mill swpl players, which doesn't say much about the standard of the league. 

It really brings a tear to my eye to think there are so many footballing brains out there who show a genuine concern for Helston Football Club. If you all leave your real names and addresses I will promise to pass them on to the chairman so he will they easy job of employing you all. Such a shame there is so much untapped ability out there and cannot believe that none of you are managing the top teams in the South West. Let's hope Helston don't get promoted because they wouldn't stand a chance against your teams. 

Having played in the western league, the south western league/swpl I'd like to think I know what it takes to play at these levels. In my opinion Helstons current squad aren't good enough at present to play in the western league at a consistent level. F.A Vase games against teams from that league are one offs so its easier to raise your game for it. Doing it Sat/Tues nearly every week is where teams get found out. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

It really brings a tear to my eye to think there are so many footballing brains out there who show a genuine concern for Helston Football Club. If you all leave your real names and addresses I will promise to pass them on to the chairman so he will they easy job of employing you all. Such a shame there is so much untapped ability out there and cannot believe that none of you are managing the top teams in the South West. Let's hope Helston don't get promoted because they wouldn't stand a chance against your teams. 

There he is, Mr le boss (real name of course?) 

Been quiet on this one...under orders(?)

Lol.

On 05/10/2020 at 15:57, Way Of The Park said:

See how quickly he got rid of his keeper.

I seen the former helston keeper watching the game vs Falmouth on the Wednesday night and he informed me he had walked away from the first team because he was not enjoying playing in goal,infact he even said he has never enjoyed playing in goal and he isn't getting any younger so want to remain with the club but play outfield and enjoy his last few years of playing.

To be fair I think that's fair enough,our playing days don't last long enough. 

4 hours ago, Footballlover442 said:

You can't just buy decent players from all over the county pay them stupid money and put them into a squad and expect immediate results and to win every game 

Your only decent if you win things. To many clubs over the years won nothing but paid out thousands... If your name goes on the trophy your in the history books & its down to rest to catch you, but so many teams over the years paid big money to finish like 10th... 🤣

Blazey, Newquay etc... 

14 hours ago, Kernowfooty said:

Having played in the western league, the south western league/swpl I'd like to think I know what it takes to play at these levels. In my opinion Helstons current squad aren't good enough at present to play in the western league at a consistent level. F.A Vase games against teams from that league are one offs so its easier to raise your game for it. Doing it Sat/Tues nearly every week is where teams get found out. 

You're right in that Kernowfooty. As it has been said on here many times before, the top teams on the Peninsula League would hold their own in the Western League (as Buckland, Parkway, Exmouth and Tavi have shown) but the standard is more consistent through the league. There aren't the whipping boys, you get far fewer lopsided score lines and the teams tend to be better organised defensively and with at least one player who can cause problems in attack. The travelling works both ways though, and teams who don't enjoy midweek trips to Plymouth and Tavi will certainly not fancy a winter Tuesday night trek to Helston (or even worse, Mousehole). 

You can see that Steve Massey does have a plan for the away trips though by bringing in a group of North and South Devon based players with Southern and Western League experience.

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Your only decent if you win things. To many clubs over the years won nothing but paid out thousands... If your name goes on the trophy your in the history books & its down to rest to catch you, but so many teams over the years paid big money to finish like 10th... 🤣

Blazey, Newquay etc... 

Or you can pay out 000,s and win the same thing year after year! 

If you dont at least try to move on success can often lead to a slide in fortunes. 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

You're right in that Kernowfooty. As it has been said on here many times before, the top teams on the Peninsula League would hold their own in the Western League (as Buckland, Parkway, Exmouth and Tavi have shown) but the standard is more consistent through the league. There aren't the whipping boys, you get far fewer lopsided score lines and the teams tend to be better organised defensively and with at least one player who can cause problems in attack. The travelling works both ways though, and teams who don't enjoy midweek trips to Plymouth and Tavi will certainly not fancy a winter Tuesday night trek to Helston (or even worse, Mousehole). 

You can see that Steve Massey does have a plan for the away trips though by bringing in a group of North and South Devon based players with Southern and Western League experience.

WOTP - you are certainly right about the consistency within the Western Prem, but I don't think the travelling would be that much of an issue in seasons to come. From memory there can be two promoted from West and East SWPL - which will put at least 7 Devon and Cornwall teams in the Western Prem next season (8or9) the year after and I believe several Bristol teams are looking at moving to the Hellenic League to avoid trips far west - so within a couple of years the travelling will be little more than it was a couple of seasons ago. 
What we do need, though, is teams like Helston / Mousehole / Saltash to take their opportunities and take promotion. We cannot afford teams finishing in promotion slots who have no intention of taking promotion - or it will kill off local decent football. 

20 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

WOTP - you are certainly right about the consistency within the Western Prem, but I don't think the travelling would be that much of an issue in seasons to come. From memory there can be two promoted from West and East SWPL - which will put at least 7 Devon and Cornwall teams in the Western Prem next season (8or9) the year after and I believe several Bristol teams are looking at moving to the Hellenic League to avoid trips far west - so within a couple of years the travelling will be little more than it was a couple of seasons ago. 
What we do need, though, is teams like Helston / Mousehole / Saltash to take their opportunities and take promotion. We cannot afford teams finishing in promotion slots who have no intention of taking promotion - or it will kill off local decent football. 

Think all the teams you mention (Helston/Mousehole/Saltash) definitely have Western League ambitions, you can also add Torpoint to the list of Cornish clubs who could be in that league next season. Of course Parkway, if all goes to plan, intend to be in step 4 by then.

Strictly speaking, you now get promoted to a step not a specific league. So, as you say, the FA will shuffle some of the Bath and Bristol area clubs into the Hellenic league to open up space for the new entrants from Devon and Cornwall. 

8 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Blazey, Newquay etc... 

Bodmin of late 🤣

9 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Blazey, Newquay etc... 

If you’re talking history...think Blazey, Newquay etc have won a lot more than Bodmin in Cornish football!!! 🏆🤔  own their own grounds too I believe? 🤔

20 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There he is, Mr le boss (real name of course?) 

Been quiet on this one...under orders(?)

Lol.

Ha ha, Orders from whom? Been quiet because all this vitriol towards Helston Football Club is both tiresome and unwarranted. Is it really such a crime for an individual to spend his money how he sees fit? Who is it hurting? The way some of the idiots on here go on about Mr Massey and his players, you would think they were Jimmy Saville reincarnated. I get he is not everyone's cup of tea but some of the conjecture and comments are no better than a Disney script.  

10 minutes ago, le boss said:

Ha ha, Orders from whom? Been quiet because all this vitriol towards Helston Football Club is both tiresome and unwarranted. Is it really such a crime for an individual to spend his money how he sees fit? Who is it hurting? The way some of the idiots on here go on about Mr Massey and his players, you would think they were Jimmy Saville reincarnated. I get he is not everyone's cup of tea but some of the conjecture and comments are no better than a Disney script.  

Best of luck to Helston from me...I just watch with interest. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Think that is all we should do. Just like any other club wanting to succeed and better themselves however they choose to do it

Is there any reason that Piran films only seems to focus on Helston though? I imagine the team are Helston based, but coverage up and down the county would maybe give teams/players a bit of a boost before kick off?

I would also imagine that this possible 'Helston preference' for video footage, considering they've traveled far into the depths of Somerset to film them play, would rub off a bit poorly on the shoulders of say Camelford or St Austell, who I seldom see filmed, and maybe raises the game of those aforementioned teams when they're pitted against the 'YouTube boys' (who also seem to be avoiding the HMRC if reports of pay-per-game packets are accurate!)

Helston 1 st austell 1 

Cracking performance from town especially Jason Chapman man of the match performace. Long ball didn't work for Helston in the first half and it didn't in the 2nd half. With all their creative players Slateford tucker goldie bye and eddy you'd have thought they come come up with a tactic of lump it as far as possible and hope for something 

On 06/10/2020 at 13:31, swilly bingrove said:

gr8 point !! glyn hooper is the replacement 4 robinson n that aint workin. dropped more points already this season than they shud all season long , hooper out or more of the same !!

I would appear you might have got your wish swilly from what is being suggested. Certainly no Hoops tonight!

14 minutes ago, swilly bingrove said:

massey finally realised he been wastin his money davey boy !! wonder who will be next in the dugout ??

Leigh Robinson was in attendance last night.  Very long way to travel to just watch.

Must agree with @Footballlover442 Jason Chapman was outstanding in goal for St Austell and its no wonder Helston tried to sign him last week.

St Austell have the makings of a very good team there, was very impressed with the lad who had their goal (cant remember his name) looked a danger down the left all game.

JW

Firstly - credit has to given to St Austell, they play nice football with quick interchanges so the draw should not be seen as a massive failing by Helston. Second point was Helston have the players and backing to change things around, so whilst no fan I would not write them off just yet - they need to get going though or catching Saltash and Mousehole will become too difficult. Finally - last season SM made it clear (on several of his interviews) he didn’t believe in passing the ball around and his style, at this level was to get the ball to his strikers as quick as possible and it worked. That was before Hoops went there, so as coach It seems unfair to blame him for that style not working so far this season - I personally think he is an excellent coach but has to coach what the manager wants and it’s difficult to question the manager when he apparently controls the finances. 

A strange game last night, St Austell a great young footballing side who could challenge in a couple of years if they stick together.

Helston the complete opposite, long Ball merchants and absolutely no team spirit! 

I also have it on very good authority that Neil Slateford has left the club this morning! He wont be the first from what I'm told! 

Not looking good for Mr Massey!

Heard that Hoops was relieved of his duties at 5pm, a couple of hours before the match! Not the best way to treat a cornish football legend as a player and county youth manager. Be surprised if it’s right as SM and GH are old friends but football is a cut throat game where winning is everything these days. With LR at the game last night as well it kind of makes sense. If correct you’ve got to admire SM ambition towards his club to get it right in all due respect probably wasn’t an easy decision.

On 07/10/2020 at 10:27, Jeremy Wade said:

Why do you only get highlights of games they win?

JW

I’m sure there have been highlights of the recents draws involving Helston along with the heavy loss in recent weeks. Maybe it looks like it’s only when Helston win because they win a lot more than they do not!!

Mark at Piran films is definitely not Helston biased and always shows a fair representation of the matches he records

41 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

Heard that Hoops was relieved of his duties at 5pm, a couple of hours before the match! Not the best way to treat a cornish football legend as a player and county youth manager. Be surprised if it’s right as SM and GH are old friends but football is a cut throat game where winning is everything these days. With LR at the game last night as well it kind of makes sense. If correct you’ve got to admire SM ambition towards his club to get it right in all due respect probably wasn’t an easy decision.

Read reports on other non league football sites that Dorchester fans are not impressed with Leigh Robinson and their start to the season.