WEST DIVISION

Bodmin Town                    7-1          Launceston

Callington Town                1-5          Liskeard Athletic

Helston Athletic                4-3          Falmouth Town

Porthleven                         2-0          Penzance

Saltash United                   4-2          Camelford

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Wednesday 30 September 2020

Saltash 4-2 Camelford

Played on a lovely surface (considering the rain today) in front of 140 spectators. 
Strange one to do a match report on, as playing Saltash you know it’s going to be tough and usually with a mindset of probably losing - but tonight I left Saltash feeling deflated that Camels did not get at very least a point and a win would not have been undeserved. 
Saltash have two strong central defenders and they play the ‘long ball” over the top to good strikers with willing runners. They are also strong on set pieces. 
First half was fairly even with Saltash having three good chances - scoring two of them, whilst Camels had several half chances without really going close 2-0 HT

Second half was virtually all Camelford - getting one back through Bobby. Then from a rare venture into the Camels half Saltash won a corner and a Camels defender headed into his own goal when not under any real pressure. Camels pushed on and made it 3-2 with an Ed header. It was all then Camels pushing for the equaliser, however from a Camels corner  a partial clearance saw the Camels midfielder fouled  but not given by the ref leaving a break away by Saltash and a lovely finish, 4-2. Camels kept pushing but finished at that. You could hear the relief with Saltash who knew they had been in a close game - slightly ruined by the Saltash manager running the length of the pitch to cheer in front of the Camels bench - real class. 
Camels dominated possession, had total control of the midfield but lost - that’s football and well done to Saltash who play to their strengths very well. 
The ref was one who I usually rate, but felt he let things get away from him a bit tonight - just a personal opinion and I am sure he called it as he saw it, which is all you can ask. 
Genuine best wishes to Saltash at the weekend - I am sure all true Cornish football fans will be behind them in their FA Cup game. 

8 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Saltash 4-2 Camelford

Played on a lovely surface (considering the rain today) in front of 140 spectators. 
Strange one to do a match report on, as playing Saltash you know it’s going to be tough and usually with a mindset of probably losing - but tonight I left Saltash feeling deflated that Camels did not get at very least a point and a win would not have been undeserved. 
Saltash have two strong central defenders and they play the ‘long ball” over the top to good strikers with willing runners. They are also strong on set pieces. 
First half was fairly even with Saltash having three good chances - scoring two of them, whilst Camels had several half chances without really going close 2-0 HT

Second half was virtually all Camelford - getting one back through Bobby. Then from a rare venture into the Camels half Saltash won a corner and a Camels defender headed into his own goal when not under any real pressure. Camels pushed on and made it 3-2 with an Ed header. It was all then Camels pushing for the equaliser, however from a Camels corner  a partial clearance saw the Camels midfielder fouled  but not given by the ref leaving a break away by Saltash and a lovely finish, 4-2. Camels kept pushing but finished at that. You could hear the relief with Saltash who knew they had been in a close game - slightly ruined by the Saltash manager running the length of the pitch to cheer in front of the Camels bench - real class. 
Camels dominated possession, had total control of the midfield but lost - that’s football and well done to Saltash who play to their strengths very well. 
The ref was one who I usually rate, but felt he let things get away from him a bit tonight - just a personal opinion and I am sure he called it as he saw it, which is all you can ask. 
Genuine best wishes to Saltash at the weekend - I am sure all true Cornish football fans will be behind them in their FA Cup game. 

I agree with the majority of your report.  Saltash were lucky, but the front runners were the difference.  Of Gusterton had played from the start, things may have been different.  The camels will certainly surprise quite a few teams this season.  I was especially impressed with the number 7.  

Yes Dane was wrong to celebrate in front of the camelford bench, but the trade in insults from botH benches moments before, had emotions running high.

And if you want to talk about class,  you need only look  at Bobby Hopkinson.  He was heard saying o one of the camels defenders, to, and I quote “to go right through him, and fu**ing make sure of it”, when tackling our sub Fletcher wiliams, who has just come back from a lengthy injury. Pure class from someone who knows all about injurys

8 minutes ago, TimmyRaa said:

I agree with the majority of your report.  Saltash were lucky, but the front runners were the difference.  Of Gusterton had played from the start, things may have been different.  The camels will certainly surprise quite a few teams this season.  I was especially impressed with the number 7.  

Yes Dane was wrong to celebrate in front of the camelford bench, but the trade in insults from botH benches moments before, had emotions running high.

And if you want to talk about class,  you need only look  at Bobby Hopkinson.  He was heard saying o one of the camels defenders, to, and I quote “to go right through him, and fu**ing make sure of it”, when tackling our sub Fletcher wiliams, who has just come back from a lengthy injury. Pure class from someone who knows all about injurys

Timmy - don’t disagree with you, the  exchanges from both benches was not good to hear and got out of hand at 3-2, which was part of the reason for my comment on the officials. The 7 was Matt Andrews - I am certain on one run he beat the same Saltash midfielder 4 times - quality player. 

14 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Timmy - don’t disagree with you, the  exchanges from both benches was not good to hear and got out of hand at 3-2, which was part of the reason for my comment on the officials. The 7 was Matt Andrews - I am certain on one run he beat the same Saltash midfielder 4 times - quality player. 

Yes I believe he did.  Very fast and a nightmare to get the ball off. 

2 minutes ago, Smuglow said:

Great to see the two youngsters up front chipping in with goals again. 

That’s 4 in 4 for Ben Holter.  So pleased for him after a couple of years out with a nasty injury. It’s like having a new signing.  I was a little sceptical with Reece last year, but it’s like having a new player.  No wonder he is attracting interest from higher leagues

2 hours ago, TimmyRaa said:

Guys a ****

Took in yesterday evenings match at Kellaway Park between what I established are two local rivals who give it their all whenever they go head to head.

Looking back at past results never seems to disappoint when its come to goals, with hosts edging competitive league fixtures and visitors dominating cup matches. I wasn't to leave disappointed.

Falmouth took a well deserved two goal lead, and it could have been more as they dominated first quarter of the game before Helston started to show any signs of life.

Commencing the second half two down, Helston took control pulling it back to two a piece, before again slipping behind. 

Helston then replied with a second equaliser, and just when you think that was it, their No 9 scores a winner leading to great celebrations from the Helston bench.

Not sure of the set up at Helston but pitch and surroundings look the best I have seen of any club I have visited in the state. From gate / security staff, to bar / kitchen tenders, all were polite and helpful. Overall good COVID measures in place, for which all of 200+ crowd seem to adhere.

Falmouth supporters made for a great overall atmposhere.

Only real disappointment for me was to witness a member of the Falmouth  coaching staff refusing to shake hands with Helston manager after the final whistle, with a few spats thrown in for added measure. 

Overall it was the hosts that had the last laugh to continue their league dominance over their league rivals.

Worth every penny of the $5 entry fee. 

Have to agree with a post from Jeff Chambers on different thread yesterday, Helston do seem to be a massive club for this level of football. One of their supporters told me they have twenty-seven teams including youth, women and veterans. 

12 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Saltash 4-2 Camelford

Bob you also forgot to mention that Saltash were 7 players short of that turned out against MOUSEHOLE at the weekend

4 hours ago, Keith B said:

Bodmin 7 - Launceston 1 

What ever has happened to Launceston ? 

As for Bovey Tracey - was that a game of two halves ☺️ ? No disrespect to Stoke.

I made the trip over the road to Bodmin last night, was surprised to see such a heavy scoreline as I thought for large parts of the game Launceston was the better side. The mid field 3 was certainly better, and moved the ball better!! ! Bodmin was just far more clinical in front of goal. Although was amusing listening to the manager of Launceston in the second half shouting at his players with nothing but abuse. No constructive criticism just shouting nonsense. 

31 minutes ago, Leroy said:

Took in yesterday evenings match at Kellaway Park between what I established are two local rivals who give it their all whenever they go head to head.

Looking back at past results never seems to disappoint when its come to goals, with hosts edging competitive league fixtures and visitors dominating cup matches. I wasn't to leave disappointed.

Falmouth took a well deserved two goal lead, and it could have been more as they dominated first quarter of the game before Helston started to show any signs of life.

Commencing the second half two down, Helston took control pulling it back to two a piece, before again slipping behind. 

Helston then replied with a second equaliser, and just when you think that was it, their No 9 scores a winner leading to great celebrations from the Helston bench.

Not sure of the set up at Helston but pitch and surroundings look the best I have seen of any club I have visited in the state. From gate / security staff, to bar / kitchen tenders, all were polite and helpful. Overall good COVID measures in place, for which all of 200+ crowd seem to adhere.

Falmouth supporters made for a great overall atmposhere.

Only real disappointment for me was to witness a member of the Falmouth  coaching staff refusing to shake hands with Helston manager after the final whistle, with a few spats thrown in for added measure. 

Overall it was the hosts that had the last laugh to continue their league dominance over their league rivals.

Worth every penny of the $5 entry fee. 

Have to agree with a post from Jeff Chambers on different thread yesterday, Helston do seem to be a massive club for this level of football. One of their supporters told me they have twenty-seven teams including youth, women and veterans. 

Just a couple of points Leroy. 1) Cornwall is a county rather than a state! 2) If you paid $5 at the current exchange rate you got in cheaply! 3) I was under the impression that shaking hands is frowned upon during the Coronavirus pandemic. You should be criticising those who did rather than those who declined! Other than that, an interesting report.

1 hour ago, tizcornish said:

Bob you also forgot to mention that Saltash were 7 players short of that turned out against MOUSEHOLE at the weekend

Tiz - didn’t forget, didn’t know. The supporters I was talking said that the non starting players were carrying injuries (Hughes and I believe Holter) and had been for a while.The same supporters who said they could see why Camelford had started the league so well and that it was a far harder match than their win at Mousehole - but I never saw that game so couldn’t comment.  I would have thought they must have been missing their midfield as they were not as good as I had thought they would be - but as I said earlier they are a good team and I hope they do themselves and the county proud in the FA Cup. 

4 hours ago, middle mans mate said:

Guys a ****

Really needed comment? The guy as an ex pro and someone who gives everything whilst playing and developing / coaching young players would walk into any team in the league. He may be ‘loud’ on occasions but I would just suggest if you have such personal views you take it up with the player in person rather than a forum. 

4 hours ago, middle mans mate said:

Guys a ****

48 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Really needed comment? The guy as an ex pro and someone who gives everything whilst playing and developing / coaching young players would walk into any team in the league. He may be ‘loud’ on occasions but I would just suggest if you have such personal views you take it up with the player in person rather than a forum. 

Are you guys talking about the same guy?

4 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Just a couple of points Leroy. 1) Cornwall is a county rather than a state! 2) If you paid $5 at the current exchange rate you got in cheaply! 3) I was under the impression that shaking hands is frowned upon during the Coronavirus pandemic. You should be criticising those who did rather than those who declined! Other than that, an interesting report.

Couple of typing errors on my part. Have to say you Cornish folk always quick to pick up on simply errors. Now is it there or their, where or were, I will have to keep a close eye on everyone's future postings 😂

Acknowledge currently no handshaking at present time but personally didn't think that warranted the string of abusive made by member of Falmouth coaching staff towards Helston manager, particularly when there were a number of chlidren within earshot.

Away from above however it really was a good game, particular for the independent spectator like myself. All adding to pleasure of our current trip to this beautiful part of the world. 

Thinking it will finally be Mousehole for me this Saturday, although someone said last evening you need a 4x4 to get to the ground. Is this correct ? Mrs says Mousehole famous for something called Stargazing Pie. Interested to find out more about this. 

Yes Helton are lucky to have Steve Massey but there must also be a lot of people working behind the scenes from the chairman down. In the last week they announced more grants towards ground improvements and although I am not a fan have been intrigued to rake part in Chairman’s bingo sessions. Then there is the Sunday meat draw with money also going to the food bank. I am nothing to do with Helton as most of you know but do appreciate a well run club when I see one, good luck to them for the future apart from when you play Redruth United.😎 No jealousy from us at Clijah only the drive to aspire to your heights

Typo Helston

And take

9 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Actually the word County was dropped sometime ago it is now known as Cornwall Council instead of Cornwall county council. The government have taken away the county word without people realising

Went down to Kimberley last night and enjoyed a competitive game between two good sides. Dane seems to be doing a great job and looks like Saltash are in for a busy season, challenging for 2/3 trophies.

Good job they have a decent squad. not sure who were the seven missing Timmy?

Line up was, Rickard , Barker, O’Brien, Lewis, Martindale, Moxham, Farrant, Hart, Smith, Thomson, Vincent, with Hughes, Williams and Holter coming on in second half. 

Chris Menhenick and my favourite player Wilson were missing. Not sure of their line up at Mousehole but if they can add those 2 and 5 more players of similar quality they will certainly give Helston a run for their money. 

13 hours ago, Barca said:

Went down to Kimberley last night and enjoyed a competitive game between two good sides. Dane seems to be doing a great job and looks like Saltash are in for a busy season, challenging for 2/3 trophies.

Good job they have a decent squad. not sure who were the seven missing Timmy?

Line up was, Rickard , Barker, O’Brien, Lewis, Martindale, Moxham, Farrant, Hart, Smith, Thomson, Vincent, with Hughes, Williams and Holter coming on in second half. 

Chris Menhenick and my favourite player Wilson were missing. Not sure of their line up at Mousehole but if they can add those 2 and 5 more players of similar quality they will certainly give Helston a run for their money. 

Shaun cleary, Mike Smith, Henry Wilson, Chris Menhinick, Sam Leary, plus Sam Hughes, Ben holter and fletcher Williams who were only for for the bench....I think