Cornwall Football Forum

An appeal from the South West Peninsula League!

September 18th

We want to make an appeal to all players, officials and supporters of clubs in the South West Peninsula League concerning the need to remain Covid vigilant. A great many of our clubs, and the hard working volunteers at them, have made great efforts to ensure games are staged in a safe manner for both participants and spectators, but the league chairman and I, along with the fellow directors, remain concerned that not all have followed all the guidance, and further we are concerned to see some players not following the rules - which are for their own safety.

The Football Association issued a question & answer statement last week (a link to it is below this article) and should be read by anyone concerned with current issues. The agreement negotiated between the FA and the Department for Culture Media and Sport means that the game of football is not considered a “close contact” by the social distancing regulations, as long as Clubs continue to fully implement their risk assessments. A failure to implement these risk assessments is likely to result in matches being postponed and players and spectators self-isolating, in line with Test and Trace guidance.

Only this week we have had a close shave, where a player had been advised to self isolate by the NHS whilst awaiting a test, with the club not following the guidance in full, they had risked "close contact" with the whole squad, where if they only had contact on the pitch it would not of been as endangering. It was possible that the whole of that players squad would have had to self isolate for 14 days - those players would not just miss football, but work, income and family life would have been very difficult - not to mention the possibility of onward transmission. A negative test result, after a match was postponed, meant on this occasion a bullet was dodged, but it should serve as a warning to all.

As COVID restrictions nationally become tighter, the footballing authorities are becoming increasingly aware of instances where players and spectators are stretching or even ignoring the guidance. Whilst the Clubs and the Leagues do not have the power of enforcement, the Police do have the power to fine individuals for persistent breaches of the guidance. Local councils may also be given extra powers to stop events and shut down parks if they are concerned about threats to public safety.

The South West Peninsula League has issued specific guidance to its Clubs, urging players and managers to lead by example, supporting Club volunteers to ensure matches are COVID safe. In its statement to Clubs, the League has highlighted the importance of a number of measures, including:

• Teams must follow the advice of the home sides Risk Assessment and ensure only the maximum number of players and support staff enter the changing room at any given time, clubs Risk assessments should allow for a safe number based on the size of rooms and the 1 meter plus rule.
  • If players have to car share they should do so with the same individuals on each occasion. Where minibuses are used, everyone should wear a face mask and use hand sanitiser before and after entry.
  • Extra seating in technical areas should be provided to ensure the occupants remain at a safe distance from each other and spectators.
  • Celebrations both on the pitch, and in dressing rooms have been seen in person and on social media. The practices of videos of Singing in dressing rooms, photos of team groups all stood next to each other, travelling to games without precautions must ALL STOP.
  • Spectators must respect the rule of 6 and maintain social distancing at all times, inside and outside the clubhouse.

It is vitally important to stress that "sport being exempt from the regulations" refers ONLY to whilst actually participating in the match, on the field of play - Players are NOT exempt from anything before or after matches!

Finally - can we urge ALL Players, Officials & Supporters to renew your efforts, check your guidance and risk assessments, update them if necessary, and above all STAY VIGILANT - Not just for football matches to safely continue, but for the health of all the football family, which includes many volunteers who may not be of the same age and health status as those that need to act in the best possible fashion.

Steve Ware (Chairman), Philip Hiscox (Company Secretary) & Peter Stevenson (Finance Director) on behalf of the league board.

Philip Hiscox (League Secretary)

the link mentioned in second paragraph:- https://www.swpleague.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/The_FA_Covid_19_FAQs.pdf

The SWPL are trying their best to see that we are able to continue to watch our teams play each week and if we stick to the rules that is a possibility.
What we don't need are the people who think it is a huge joke to ignore the LAW as it now is, and ruin the chances of our weekly dose of football.
Whatever your opinion of Covid 19 and its effects are, the situation is that if teams, clubs or supporters choose to ignore the law, we stand a very good chance of being closed down for an indefinite period that could well see the demise of some clubs.
People who think that the covid19 pandemic is something that is grossly exagerated, would perhaps like to explain their reasoning to the friends and relations of the 46,000 + that have died from the disease.
If the appeal by the board of the S.W.P.L. is ignored and prosecutions ensue, there will be no sympathy for the perpetrators from us.

43 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

What difference does it make to you, have u ever been to a game. And when r u going to take me up on my offer it still stands. In fact if you want find out the price of a season ticket for Falmouth (OAP I HOPE 😀) I will buy it for u. That is my last offer, if you decide not to can u at least let everyone on here know why. Many thanks 

12 minutes ago, herbie777 said:

What difference does it make to you, have u ever been to a game. And when r u going to take me up on my offer it still stands. In fact if you want find out the price of a season ticket for Falmouth (OAP I HOPE 😀) I will buy it for u. That is my last offer, if you decide not to can u at least let everyone on here know why. Many thanks 

He's social distancing in case he gets covid19 !!!

Sorry people if this thread’s posts don’t quite follow on!

I’ve taken the decision to not show BIG AL’s posts as we as a forum are right behind any measures that need to be followed to ensure local football goes on as long as possible.

We’ve worked hard to get this forum so popular and respected and so for me personally, I’m not having its reputation tarnished!

And BIG AL please don’t bother with any more similar posts as your other two, because they won’t stay on here very long.

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sorry people if this thread’s posts don’t quite follow on!

I’ve taken the decision to not show BIG AL’s posts as we as a forum are right behind any measures that need to be followed to ensure local football goes on as long as possible.

We’ve worked hard to get this forum so popular and respected and so for me personally, I’m not having its reputation tarnished!

And BIG AL please don’t bother with any more similar posts as your other two, because they won’t stay on here very long.

Common sense prevails, and in the long term we hope those that incite the disrespect of law and order and the deaths of thousands of people are dealt with accordingly.
Thank you Dave Deacon for bringing at least one forum contributer down to earth

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Common sense prevails, and in the long term we hope those that incite the disrespect of law and order and the deaths of thousands of people are dealt with accordingly.
Thank you Dave Deacon for bringing at least one forum contributer down to earth

Let's not get personal guys. I'm just endeavouring to make sure this forum returns to being the best place to debate local football in the South West! 

Most clubs have been fantastic and done everything they can to stick to the rules even tho all are volunteers and unpaid so unless you have proper paid covid inforcers what more can they do. 

anyway it won’t make any difference how well you implement it if the government inforce another lockdown that probably mean sport being cancelled yet again anyway regardless 

On the day of the match,  if you see anything that concerns you then you must report it to the home team Club Secretary or an Official of the SWPL (nearly always a Committee Member or Referee Assessor present). This gives them the opportunity to address the matter immediately.

If neither option is available then Players and Benches can raise their concerns with the Referee who is obliged to pass on complaints to the League.

It is the responsibility of each and every one of us to uphold Law and keep us all safe. 

We have done our best at St Blazey to be sensible with the requests so that we can watch football. 

The clubhouse has a one way system and only the main bar open with screens in place. Hand sanitiser at each entrance and outside each set of toilets. Track and trace in place. 

Football wise we have track and trace, hand sanitiser at the main gate, advive to follow in the program and tanoy announcements which we increased today to remind people. 

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

The clubhouse is closed every afternoon and cleaned. Surfaces wiped down etc. Just got to be done Older. 

We have just bought a sanitizing/sterilising misting machine, after normal cleaning we can sterilise changing rooms in roughly 1 minute, ideal for a quick turn around of players.

Toilets 30 seconds, corridors 2 minutes and main room 2 to 3 minutes...good kit buddy.

Screenshot_20200904-104210_Gallery.jpg

21 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

We have just bought a sanitizing/sterilising misting machine, after normal cleaning we can sterilise changing rooms in roughly 1 minute, ideal for a quick turn around of players.

Toilets 30 seconds, corridors 2 minutes and main room 2 to 3 minutes...good kit buddy.

Screenshot_20200904-104210_Gallery.jpg

I even know where you can buy it! It’s all very interesting!