Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash United 3 - 1 St Blazey

It was an absorbing season opener at Kimberley Stadium today, with Saltash beating St Blazey 3-1, despite the visitors starting out the brighter.  Jack Alexander with the goal for St Blazey, and a Mike Smith double, with one for Shaun Cleary, for Saltash.

I've done a full match report with pictures here - hopefully it's of interest to a few.

https://thegrassrootstourist.com/2020/09/06/saltash-united/

Also - having competitive football back is great...

42 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Brilliant report there GRT, pity the social distancing in the beer queue didn’t extend to the stand!

Eh?

Stand is marked out with social distancing with only clearly identified social bubbles allowed to sit next to each other. The photos dont show this but it's there. 

I can't comment on the St Blazey fans but us Ashes Fans were clearly spaced under the covid regulations.

Looking at the pictures accompanying GRT’s report you must have some enormous family bubbles supporting Saltash! Barely an empty seat to be seen. Well done to the lone gentleman in a visor, for all that he was hemmed in! The stand may have been marked but if there is nobody to enforce the 2 meter rule it’s not surprising that it’s ignored. 
The authorities will be closely monitoring compliance with the regulations over the first few games, it would be a shame to see football back to playing in empty grounds.

19 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Looking at the pictures accompanying GRT’s report you must have some enormous family bubbles supporting Saltash! Barely an empty seat to be seen. Well done to the lone gentleman in a visor, for all that he was hemmed in! The stand may have been marked but if there is nobody to enforce the 2 meter rule it’s not surprising that it’s ignored. 
The authorities will be closely monitoring compliance with the regulations over the first few games, it would be a shame to see football back to playing in empty grounds.

I'm not going to get into a discussion on Covid rules, but there was next to me a married couple, behind a another couple. That took the two rows by the chairman's box. Nobody in the front 2 rows in front. 2m gap to my left throughout the whole game. 

Stand was by no means full or near to being full. I've seen the stand full against Blazey last season and Helston last year- this wasnt even in the same ball park. 

In terms of policing Ashes had security guards at the game as well (which arent in the photos) so I'm guessing we'll see them at our away games this season as well? 

3 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

I'm not going to get into a discussion on Covid rules, but there was next to me a married couple, behind a another couple. That took the two rows by the chairman's box. Nobody in the front 2 rows in front. 2m gap to my left throughout the whole game. 

Stand was by no means full or near to being full. I've seen the stand full against Blazey last season and Helston last year- this wasnt even in the same ball park. 

In terms of policing Ashes had security guards at the game as well (which arent in the photos) so I'm guessing we'll see them at our away games this season as well? 

So long as you’re happy, the Club are happy and Cornwall FA Are happy, that’s fine then. I have to rely on the evidence available as I wasn’t there. As a “vulnerable” shielder I shan’t be attending games while such attitudes prevail!

PS, Sportsman10, I’m not about to present a lecture on the spread of COVID-19 in an outdoor environment as the information is freely available on google, or indeed your newspaper where you will see Police breaking up outdoor raves and fining attendees £100 for failing to adhere to social distancing regulations!

6 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Stop stirring ! If you’re not happy don’t go or find a space on your own like I did

This is the annoying thing now there always someone ready to study a picture to see if he can find someone within 2 meters . Just enjoy the football  . There plenty of space around a local pitch to stand and be nowhere near anyone. Stop trying to get fans stopped from going again or clubs fined. 

Else you have a Situation where clubs won’t allow pictures or highlights. 

27 minutes ago, Paul said:

Exactly. Saltash did their best. Tickets available online in advance. One way system in the ground. Seats marked out as their bench style seats. Plenty of room around the ground if you wanted to be out the way. No issues at all. 

Indeed. But it was great to see all 4 sides of Kimberley being used on Saturday plenty of space as well. 

I get people are nervous and will jump on a different perspective from some photos but that again is beauty of a pyramid system, crowds will be lower at St Pirans/ECPL/Combo if people dont feel comfortable at SWPL W/E level. 

22 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Brilliant report there GRT, pity the social distancing in the beer queue didn’t extend to the stand!

As you can see, it was just an observation until you guys (and your 💙 supporters) chose to attack me for showing concern. At very least it has hopefully highlighted the issues, particularly with the coronavirus cases rocketing up across the country, and please, no cries of “it won’t happen here”.

13 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Exactly, there is adequate space for everyone! Time to get over this melodrama.

Hi BIG AL, you’re absolutely right, plenty of room if it’s used appropriately. Not sure which Melodrama, are you a coronavirus denier or a convert to the Saltash cause (if so Falmouth will be devastated!)?

I feel I should defend Saltash having put these photos out there. 

Completely get where you're coming from Bruegel, and as Dave implied - the authorities will surely be looking at compliance. 

That main picture of the stand, it may not look like social distancing but an element of that is the perspective and angle - that stand was probably about half full if you looked from the front. In addition, the majority of fans were well spread out right around the pitch in (what appeared to me to be) family/small friendship sized groups.

1 hour ago, GRTourist said:

I feel I should defend Saltash having put these photos out there. 

Completely get where you're coming from Bruegel, and as Dave implied - the authorities will surely be looking at compliance. 

That main picture of the stand, it may not look like social distancing but an element of that is the perspective and angle - that stand was probably about half full if you looked from the front. In addition, the majority of fans were well spread out right around the pitch in (what appeared to me to be) family/small friendship sized groups.

Sorry if I misappropriated the photographs in your excellent match report. It was only meant to be a one off comment but I do tend to bite if I feel I’m being unfairly criticised. As a “vulnerable” person for whom COVID-19 would be a potential death sentence I do have something of an interest in the requirements.
I would love to go to watch football again, although I can’t see it happening this season, unless there’s an effective vaccine soonish. Again apologies for misusing your pictures but do keep them coming. A damn good read.

Not at all, I didn't think it was directed at me - and I think there are plenty of people who share your concerns.  I do feel for people who because of age, underlying conditions etc are seeing the rest of society get back to some form of 'normality' but are excluded from that.

A few observations I've had not just from Saltash, but from the 6/7 matches I've been to in pre-season.

1 - from what I saw at Kimberley, there would have been plenty of space where a shielder could have been completely alone and still be able to watch the match.  It would probably have involved arriving early and leaving late to avoid queues at entrances and exits, but could definitely have been done.  

2 - The reality is, and something that I've seen at all  the football matches I've attended across four divisions since mid August, that walkways, doorways and other bottle necks do unfortunately get busy.  There are also times when there is nothing the clubs could do to legislate.  There are unfortunately some selfish people out there who think the rules don't apply to them.  I was in the toilet - clearly marked for single occupancy on the door - when two people who had obviously had a few too many burst in and proceeded to share a urinal which was marked out of bounds.  No club could possibly have security everywhere at all moments, so unfortunately these things will happen.

3 - This is definitely going to be a steep learning curve for all the clubs involved - everyone at this level is a volunteer.  At the club I volunteer for, someone had to step in as a COVID officer and completely learn everything from scratch.  It's become almost a full time job for him.  Compared to other business areas, there seems to have been a real concerted effort at every club I've visited to abide by the guidelines, and make attending as safe as possible for everyone.