Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Recommended Posts

What an amazing game ! It had just about everything really but Both teams went for it

Saltash rode their luck second half but just about deserved to go through
 

Parkway keeper a disgrace and needs to keep his mouth shut. Very lucky to not be sent off on 3 occasions tonight

Apart from his antics it was a thoroughly enjoyable game.

Officials need to clamp down on this awful language

Link to post
Share on other sites

To start on a happy note, was great to catch up with Home Waters and The Bald One last night.

Deserved win for The Ashes. Parkway started the match well and laid siege to the Saltash goal for the last part of the match but, apart from that, Saltash were the better side. Mike Smith was a constant threat up front, Callum O'Brien was immense at the back and Ryan Rickard pulled off some brilliant saves in goal. For Parkway, it felt a bit like a pre season performance with the new system and players still bedding in. The central defence was slow and chaotic with neither Rob Farkins or James Ward looking comfortable, although not helped by the holding central midfield duo of Steve Colwell and Mike Landricombe offering little protection or creativity. In attack, Ryan Richards was largely quiet up front (he was subbed off in the second half), Callum Hall started really brightly but faded out of the game. It took the gamble of chucking on a half fit Mikey Williams and Matt Wright (who had not appeared in pre season) to get Parkway through to penalties. 

Nothing but praise for Saltash who were very well organised ,motivated and clearly had a game plan.

On another note, nothing Parkway can do about it and not their responsibility, but it was concerning to see a significant group of spectators gathering outside the fence behind the far end of the ground on the grass bank. The residents of the new housing estate probably weren't too pleased about this, and I did notice a police car in attendance. But to reiterate, NOT the responsibility of Plymouth Parkway. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

To start on a happy note, was great to catch up with Home Waters and The Bald One last night.

Deserved win for The Ashes. Parkway started the match well and laid siege to the Saltash goal for the last part of the match but, apart from that, Saltash were the better side. Mike Smith was a constant threat up front, Callum O'Brien was immense at the back and Ryan Rickard pulled off some brilliant saves in goal. For Parkway, it felt a bit like a pre season performance with the new system and players still bedding in. The central defence was slow and chaotic with neither Rob Farkins or James Ward looking comfortable, although not helped by the holding central midfield duo of Steve Colwell of Mike Landricombe offering little protection or creativity. In attack, Ryan Richards was largely quiet up front (he was subbed off in the second half), Callum Hall started really brightly but faded out of the game. It took the gamble of chucking on a half fit Mikey Williams and Matt Wright (who had not appeared in pre season) to get Parkway through to penalties. 

Nothing but praise for Saltash who were very well organised ,motivated and clearly had a game plan.

On another note, nothing Parkway can do about it and not their responsibility, but it was concerning to see a significant group of spectators gathering outside the fence behind the far end of the ground on the grass bank. The residents of the new housing estate probably weren't too pleased about this, and I did notice a police car in attendance. But to reiterate, NOT the responsibility of Plymouth Parkway. 

 

 

 

 

Not sure how you do stop that apart from erecting a huge fence.  as it’s not private land. And untill everyone can go back to watching in the ground it’s going to happen more. 

I agree with your thoughts. I’m not sure where landricombe and Colwell fit in to the team and I thought saltash ran all over them. 

As for Richards he was handled superbly by the saltash defence. I still think not keeping Carter will be a mistake. 

Also  your right Callum O’Brien was best defender on the pitch. Farkins and Ward look the part fitness wise  but O’Brien  a miles better defender then both. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever let Adam Carter leave to go to Bodmin needs a kick up the bum a player who gets you 40 odd goals a season shouldnt be allowed to leave and not having him in the Parkway team this season will affect Parkway and it showed last night losing to Saltash and there is no way they wil win the league without Adam Carters goals as you know i have been a big fan of Adam Carter for years .A few weeks ago so many people on here where saying things about Saltash manager Dane how it was Matt Cusack that was the main man at Saltash some of the comments where quite nasty but the ones who put these comments don tknow what they are talking about those so called people must feel ashamed of themselves now after the brilliant win vs Parkway last night Dane has been around long enough and knows what hes doing and will do well .On this site people have said all these players are leaving Saltash and Callum O Brien has left its all crap again as usual heard he was best player on the field last night .Well done Dane good luck for the season

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant result for saltash didn't see it coming! Will enjoy watching the highlights if parkway can face putting them out what an embarrassing result given the money they have chucked at players this summer.... Can't have thought hobbsy is best pleased at the moment 😂 and I agree it was a very very poor decision to let Carter leave and go back to Bodmin 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Footballlover442 said:

Brilliant result for saltash didn't see it coming! Will enjoy watching the highlights if parkway can face putting them out what an embarrassing result given the money they have chucked at players this summer.... Can't have thought hobbsy is best pleased at the moment 😂 and I agree it was a very very poor decision to let Carter leave and go back to Bodmin 

We don't know that it was the club's decision to let Adam Carter go. On paper, bringing in Matt Wright from Taunton is an upgrade in that position.Just unfortunate that he has been injured and played no part in pre season. 

Will be interesting to see how Wright and Ryan Richards are accommodated in the line up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

From what I hear parkway were even trying to sign 1 or 2 Saltash players in the morning before yesterday’s game so they wouldn’t play against them last night and to try and unsettle Saltash.  
 

Disrespectful behaviour from parkway if true 

That is the rumour I’m not sure what players were approached but that is highly disappointing from a club like parkway 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

From what I hear parkway were even trying to sign 1 or 2 Saltash players in the morning before yesterday’s game so they wouldn’t play against them last night and to try and unsettle Saltash.  
 

Disrespectful behaviour from parkway if true 

That plan went well (if there is any truth in it). 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does nobody else think that the Saltash defenders marshalled Richards well last night partly down to training with him every week for so long?

 

Instead of giving him a bashing and saying Carter should have stayed, give him some time to adjust to new teammates, new management, new way of playing, all in a new surrounding! It was his first competitive game for Parkway against his old side, give him a break!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gary S said:

Does nobody else think that the Saltash defenders marshalled Richards well last night partly down to training with him every week for so long?

 

Instead of giving him a bashing and saying Carter should have stayed, give him some time to adjust to new teammates, new management, new way of playing, all in a new surrounding! It was his first competitive game for Parkway against his old side, give him a break!

To be honest he not had any game time with Matt Wright and was always better when he played off a big target man. But he come into replace the 40 odd goals carter always got so going to be pressure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it’s all a bit OTT! When 2 teams know each other so well these results happen! All the pressure on Parkway on the night added to that. Ryan is a quality striker who will get you 30/40 goals once he settles no danger, Matt a proven and well respected sought after coach, Hobbsy knows local football and players as well as anyone and will get his teams motivated, and I still fancy Parkway to win the league over a season and progress. Yeah shame to go out the cup early doors but ain’t a disaster apart from some half decent prize money, Parkway will be fine. Congrats to Dane and Saltash, what a great confidence boosting result going into the Ashes season who will also do well in a tougher league I think this season. No need to panic gents, let’s judge these guys in 9 months time!! Best of luck for the season to 2 great clubs with big futures. 👍👏🏼

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Think it’s all a bit OTT! When 2 teams know each other so well these results happen! All the pressure on Parkway on the night added to that. Ryan is a quality striker who will get you 30/40 goals once he settles no danger, Matt a proven and well respected sought after coach, Hobbsy knows local football and players as well as anyone and will get his teams motivated, and I still fancy Parkway to win the league over a season and progress. Yeah shame to go out the cup early doors but ain’t a disaster apart from some half decent prize money, Parkway will be fine. Congrats to Dane and Saltash, what a great confidence boosting result going into the Ashes season who will also do well in a tougher league I think this season. No need to panic gents, let’s judge these guys in 9 months time!! Best of luck for the season to 2 great clubs with big futures. 👍👏🏼

That's a very mature post from you Rappo! 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bitterly disappointed with everything about Parkway last night. Players looked average at best apart from the exception of the winger (Harris I think he’s called).

Saltash got everything right on the night and fully deserved the win.

Appreciate it’s still early days but looking at last nights Parkway squad, don’t see any improvement from last years squad. Carter severely missed and from what I seen last night,  his replacements need to step up. Behaviour and choice of words from the Parkway striker and GK at times were poor and let the club down.

Parkway need to re-group quickly otherwise their season could fail before its even got going.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see Covid regulations honoured in Saltash changing rooms last night. Obviously warnings from authorities being ignored. Be very different if the team is disqualified from the competition. All in all the club should remember the prior warnings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Haha thankyou Deacs! Can’t promise I’ll be as mature on the podcast this Friday mate!! 😀🤔 Only one game though isn’t it and Parkway didn’t even lose in 90 minutes to be fair! 

Parkway did take the saltash manager and thier top scorer I can bet deep down  they  thought they sweep saltash aside easily and stroll on to the next round .  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read all the feedback above about the game.

 

I just wanted to say a few things:-

 

Tickets - Tickets were made available online for both clubs and a tweet was sent tagging Saltash as well and was retweeted by Saltash, so both teams fans had the opportunity to buy tickets online. We also made a small number of tickets available to Saltash to sell to their fans prior to the game, something that wasn’t required in the rules of the game (but was done in the interest of accommodating both sets of fans)

 

Fans standing on the bank - this is out of the control of the club and we could have had over 1,000 people in the ground for the game which both clubs would have wanted, but due to Covid rules we were limited to 300. I would say there was probably about 150 parkway, 60 Saltash and then remainder made up from neutrals so a good mix of everyone I believe.

 

Approach for players - this happens all the time in football and if a player shows interest in discussing a move, then you submit the approach as per the rules, if that is the day before a game then so be it, I am sure that has been done by many clubs over the years, so I am not sure why people seem to be making a big deal of this.

 

Performance - Saltash came with a game plan and it worked, well done to Saltash, Parkway didn’t deliver as much as we could on the night, but again that is football and we move on. We wish Saltash all the best in the next round.

 

Language and Playing - I honestly think some big decisions were missed and both sides will see things in different ways, however the result is that Saltash won on penalties, nothing discussed after the event can change this for either team.

 

Players - Players leave clubs all the time, and highlighting players that could have done better on the night and players who have left etc etc is again not going to change the outcome of the game.

 

Parkway will regroup and go again on Saturday, as has been stated a number of times pre season, the league is the priority to Parkway this season, so the judging of what we have and haven’t done will be made come the end of the season. A run in the FA Cup is nice, but not essential for a club either Parkway or Saltash as neither are going to win it. However is nice for fans, so we know we could have done better and won the game, but we didn’t, not much more to add to this.

 

Celebrating like you have won the World Cup - Hey every club will have the teams they want to beat and beating Parkway is a big thing for most clubs, as before well done Saltash.

 

Budget at Parkway - Parkway have and always will work within their means and have moved players on and got new players in within the budget that they have for the season, I think anyone looking into the club can see that the club is developing off the pitch as well to facilitate the ambition of the football club.

 

I hope that helps everyone see a fair response to everything being said above, I won’t get into discussions about individuals as that isn’t fair on anyone whether they be Parkway, Saltash or any other club.

 

Mark 

Chairman

PPFC

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very fair response and refreshing to see a chairman come on and answer some questions.  

I agree with a lot of the comments especially the grass bank as that can’t be the club’s responsibility 

as for the player approach I’m sure a young player will have his head turned if more money and an opportunity to play at higher level Is offered it just seemed to be a bit disrespectful to do that on the day of a game. 

Parkway are looked as a big team now and a big Scalp. I think it’s great to see a local club and big rivalries  again between teams 

good luck in sure your be pushing for that title come the end of season 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty decent game for a season opener, as said above, Saltash had a sound plan and were very disciplined, just wasn’t Parkway’s night. The visitors certainly didn’t need much of a team talk. 

Plenty of controversy in the game and, on another night, both keepers might have seen red.

For Saltash, Callum O’Brien superb and must be one of the most underrated yet consistent players in the league.

For Parkway, I thought Ryan Lane showed why he  was their player of the year; looks like he could play several leagues above. 
 

Once Parkway add the proven class of Williams, Wright, Krac and Allen into the starting 11 they’ll take some stopping. They are certainly building a ground to match their ambition; very impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MarkPPFC said:

Having read all the feedback above about the game.

 

I just wanted to say a few things:-

 

Tickets - Tickets were made available online for both clubs and a tweet was sent tagging Saltash as well and was retweeted by Saltash, so both teams fans had the opportunity to buy tickets online. We also made a small number of tickets available to Saltash to sell to their fans prior to the game, something that wasn’t required in the rules of the game (but was done in the interest of accommodating both sets of fans)

 

Fans standing on the bank - this is out of the control of the club and we could have had over 1,000 people in the ground for the game which both clubs would have wanted, but due to Covid rules we were limited to 300. I would say there was probably about 150 parkway, 60 Saltash and then remainder made up from neutrals so a good mix of everyone I believe.

 

Approach for players - this happens all the time in football and if a player shows interest in discussing a move, then you submit the approach as per the rules, if that is the day before a game then so be it, I am sure that has been done by many clubs over the years, so I am not sure why people seem to be making a big deal of this.

 

Performance - Saltash came with a game plan and it worked, well done to Saltash, Parkway didn’t deliver as much as we could on the night, but again that is football and we move on. We wish Saltash all the best in the next round.

 

Language and Playing - I honestly think some big decisions were missed and both sides will see things in different ways, however the result is that Saltash won on penalties, nothing discussed after the event can change this for either team.

 

Players - Players leave clubs all the time, and highlighting players that could have done better on the night and players who have left etc etc is again not going to change the outcome of the game.

 

Parkway will regroup and go again on Saturday, as has been stated a number of times pre season, the league is the priority to Parkway this season, so the judging of what we have and haven’t done will be made come the end of the season. A run in the FA Cup is nice, but not essential for a club either Parkway or Saltash as neither are going to win it. However is nice for fans, so we know we could have done better and won the game, but we didn’t, not much more to add to this.

 

Celebrating like you have won the World Cup - Hey every club will have the teams they want to beat and beating Parkway is a big thing for most clubs, as before well done Saltash.

 

Budget at Parkway - Parkway have and always will work within their means and have moved players on and got new players in within the budget that they have for the season, I think anyone looking into the club can see that the club is developing off the pitch as well to facilitate the ambition of the football club.

 

I hope that helps everyone see a fair response to everything being said above, I won’t get into discussions about individuals as that isn’t fair on anyone whether they be Parkway, Saltash or any other club.

 

Mark 

Chairman

PPFC

Quality reply..👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of spin from the Parkway Chairman! Let me address some of his comments as someone who is well placed to do so being the parent of a player. 

 

Approach for players - this happens all the time in football and if a player shows interest in discussing a move, then you submit the approach as per the rules, if that is the day before a game then so be it, I am sure that has been done by many clubs over the years, so I am not sure why people seem to be making a big deal of this.This is totally inaccurate, the 7 days was submitted on Tuesday morning  then your assistant manager Matt Cusack followed by Manager Lee Hobbs rang the player in the afternoon in an attempt to unsettle him, the pure aim was to get a reaction from saltash! This is compounded by the fact Hobbs then text the player 30 mins later asking what Dane Bunney’s Reaction was to the approach. If you think this is acceptable on the day of the game, then you need a reality check yourself. A naïve tactic, basically done Bunney’s team talk for him. Stop spinning the story like it happened the day before making out that the player approached you. Your better than this or are you? you are either misinformed or a liar, which is it please? 
 

(edited your add - if no wrong doing was done, why did Cusack text the player yesterday to apologise for the position he placed him in?) 

 

 

Language and Playing - I honestly think some big decisions were missed and both sides will see things in different ways, however the result is that Saltash won on penalties, nothing discussed after the event can change this for either team. Can you pinpoint which decisions please?

 

 

 Players - Players leave clubs all the time, and highlighting players that could have done better on the night and players who have left etc etc is again not going to change the outcome of the game. I don’t care what you say, No player left Parkway in the summer all were shown the door, more spin from you!

 

 

Parkway will regroup and go again on Saturday, as has been stated a number of times pre-season, the league is the priority to Parkway this season, so the judging of what we have and haven’t done will be made come the end of the season. A run in the FA Cup is nice, but not essential for a club either Parkway or Saltash as neither are going to win it. However is nice for fans, so we know we could have done better and won the game, but we didn’t, not much more to add to this. More spin! You will have budgeted to recoup some of the silly money you spend in the FA Cup.  

 

 

Celebrating like you have won the World Cup - Hey every club will have the teams they want to beat and beating Parkway is a big thing for most clubs, as before well done Saltash – This is a little disrespectful, Parkway would have celebrated just as much! Why are you Criticising Saltash for celebrating as they did? Nobody gave them a chance, playing against their ex manager and the circumstance that transpired throughout the day? Why shouldn’t  they celebrate! Sour Grapes and more spin!
 

 

 Budget at Parkway - Parkway have and always will work within their means and have moved players on and got new players in within the budget that they have for the season, I think anyone looking into the club can see that the club is developing off the pitch as well to facilitate the ambition of the football club. More Spin! You have a manager and a supposed sought after assistant taking the best part of 1k off you each month, and they sub a striker ‘like for like’ leaving a back 4 marking one Saltash striker when they have Saltash on the ropes and pinned back in their 18 yard box! Value for money there!

 

 

 I hope that helps everyone see a fair response to everything being said above, I won’t get into discussions about individuals as that isn’t fair on anyone whether they be Parkway, Saltash or any other club. Nope most of it was Spin!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Approach for players - this happens all the time in football and if a player shows interest in discussing a move, then you submit the approach as per the rules, if that is the day before a game then so be it, I am sure that has been done by many clubs over the years, so I am not sure why people seem to be making a big deal of this.  This is totally inaccurate, the 7 days was submitted on Tuesday morning  then your assistant manager Matt Cusack followed by Manager Lee Hobbs rang the player in the afternoon in an attempt to unsettle him, the pure aim was to get a reaction from saltash! This is compounded by the fact Hobbs then text the player 30 mins later asking what Dane Bunney’s Reaction was to the approach. If you think this is acceptable on the day of the game, then you need a reality check yourself. A naïve tactic, basically done Bunney’s team talk for him. Stop spinning the story like it happened the day before making out that the player approached you. Your better than this or are you? you are either misinformed or a liar, which is it please? 
 

(edited your add - if no wrong doing was done, why did Cusack text the player yesterday to apologise for the position he placed him in?) 

 

on top of that once the player rejected the approach he was told they only wanted him to sign on as cover anyway as they have players coming back from injuries at the moment !! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. the one comment that makes me want to post is celebrating like we won the World Cup.

I did definitely as a fan, don’t want to speak on the teams behalf to how they would class their celebrations, I’m guessing they would say the same, true spirit they put in etc.
 

This was a big win for Saltash, summer of change etc. Parkway have two so should know about that. Each man did their job superbly. Plus add 6 months away from footy, look at the post where because we lost 6-2 it was put our recent years build had gone to bits.


See it as credit, I saw Parkway as a successful club last season. Knew we were entering a big game away from home. Mistakes etc would be punished, that’s why each time Parkway did have effort I was relieved it went wide. 
 

If we really have to go into referee decisions after a game , in line with me was the goalie challenge, I watch every player and our player had nipped in front and had clear shot on goal to come. I can say it as a fan of a club in league below, the margins etc. if it is being referred to as the possible handball, for a team in league above to rely on that, did they do enough on the night.

 

If there were player approaches on the day then come on we all know that isn’t really on.

 

Got my tickets from Saltash, it seemed I had missed out when the tickets on sale were sold out in few hours. If you kept them back for Saltash then good stuff, it shouldn’t be a didn’t need to. Cup game etc too, wait until we hear about Wembley allocations later in cup.



What I know it was a great night, footy back  and come the end I said to the Parkway fan next to me, if we lose now then I am just pleased we gave you guys a game, been a good night and match. 
 

Before writing this it actually had a good post Rappo still here from me I didn’t post, encouraging his Parkway team whilst congratulated Saltash. To our respective league matches this weekend, Parkway shouldn’t lose sleep and Saltash can take great heart from result.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its pathetic that a talented 20 year old who has such a hunger and passion for the game has been caught up in all this crap being used to score points over each other between 2 well established clubs. When did this become football ? Saltash were the underdogs, they won, it happens, move on What happened to developing players? sportsmanship? The beautiful game ? Very ugly from where I was standing, not to mention the total disrespect from players to their Parkway manager and officials for all to hear.

Shameful events on what should of been a fantastic start back to competitive football.

Lies lies lies from BOTH parties involved.

Needs putting to bed on both teams parts and focus on moving forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Volkie80 said:

Its pathetic that a talented 20 year old who has such a hunger and passion for the game has been caught up in all this crap being used to score points over each other between 2 well established clubs. When did this become football ? Saltash were the underdogs, they won, it happens, move on What happened to developing players? sportsmanship? The beautiful game ? Very ugly from where I was standing, not to mention the total disrespect from players to their Parkway manager and officials for all to hear.

Shameful events on what should of been a fantastic start back to competitive football.

Lies lies lies from BOTH parties involved.

Needs putting to bed on both teams parts and focus on moving forward.

To be honest approaches happen all the time but the fact it was done on the morning of the game is quite obvious done to cause issues.  Imagine if that was Taunton or Truro trying sign mikey Williams on the morning parkway were due to play them in a big game you never hear the end of it 

It’s a shame they won’t get to play again  as local football needs proper rivalries like this 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...