Cornwall Football Forum

The Coldest And Wettest You Can Remember Being At A Football Match

With the sweltering heat and drought like weather looking like it is going to break in the next day or so, I am almost getting wistful thoughts about cold and miserable winter days. This followed into thinking about your memories of when you were the coldest and wettest at football grounds. My wettest was an FA Cup match between Liskeard and Dorchester at Lux Park in 1990 (October I think), when the the rain came sideways all afternoon and soaked through an overcoat, jumper and shirt underneath. We beat a Southern Prem team 5-1 though, so didn't mind too much. The coldest? Elburton Villa v Plymouth Parkway on Good Friday 1993, an arctic blast seemed to blow from the club house end all the game (Dan Smith hit a wind assisted screamer from about 35 yards in a 3-1 win). Went home and sat in a hot bath all afternoon to try and defrost. Remember The Bald One wearing his scarf wrapped around his head and resembling Scott Of The Antarctic.

Coldest?

Easy- Saturday 4th February 1996- my birthday. Tavistock v Saltash United in the old South Western. It was literally the only game which survived throughout the whole of the South West and came in the middle of a real cold snap. Lord knows how Tavistock managed to get the game on, but I remember the moors were all covered with snow and it was the 1st visit to Langsford Park since the Ashes took the demotion from the Western League the previous season.

I have never been so cold in my life- gloves, hats etc didn't have a chance with a screamingly cold wind coming up the valley towards the Tavistock clubhouse. Naturally, the Ashes lost and Tavistock completed the double over us that season (we played them in the 1st game back in the South Western in a milder August!).

Remember that Good Friday in 1993 as well- away at Liskeard in the Western League. Can't remember the result of that, but it was the coldest Easter in living memory- snow around and biting wind.

I do remember going to Ramsbottom United in the North West Counties League back in 2003 when I was living in Manchester and helping them shovel snow off the pitch to get a game on against Glossop North End- but I was a bit more used to snow and cold living in the Peak District back then!

Stoke Gabriel v Falmouth a couple of years back.

Just about everything else was off.

Heavy snow and ice and rain, howling gale end to end. No idea how the game was started let alone finished, unless it was just to avoid Falmouth having to come back later in the season.

Watched the game from inside the club, only time I have ever watched a live game from inside anywhere.

Would you believe that I was actually on holiday in Plymouth at the time, took me the rest of the week to thaw out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RAF Mawgan 2 St Just 0 in about 1970 when the pitch really was out in the middle of the airfield with views of distant cliffs. Both goals scored by their No.11, Hocking. Refereed by Bill Pearce, who played a 57 minute second half to make up for all the time spent collecting the clearances caught by the wind. As a ten year old spectator (virtually the only one), I told Granny I couldn't be bothered with a coat...