Cornwall Football Forum

Pendeen Fc withdraw

It is with great sadness that I am writing this post this evening,but after an emergency meeting tonight Pendeen Fc have had no other choice but to withdraw from the lwc jolly’s combination league with immediate effect, myself and Andre would like to take this moment to thank all players and supporters and all volunteers over the years for there continued commitment week in week out, this decision was not taken lightly and we did everything in our power to try and keep it alive but circumstances have taken there toll on our club,I have been managing up here for 12/13 seasons and have enjoyed every single minute of it and will miss the dressing room banter,the off the field antics and more than anything all the lads there were bad times but also amazing times,I personally would
Like to wish all the lads the best in the future and no doubt I will see you all during the season #farewelldeenarmy💛🖤😢

The demise of any club is, of course, sad; however I don't see how, in a free society, we can, or indeed should be able to, stop a group of keen mates from starting afresh if they want. Could it be the reason they want to found a new club is that they're unhappy with the way some "established" clubs are run (and I am not inferring in any way that includes Pendeen or any other particular club)?

Players have found something else to do during the lockdown and are not returning back to local football. 

Also players are in fear of losing their jobs so if told they have to work weekends, they are. Also they are afraid to ask for Saturday afternoons off to play sport. 

It will take 3-4 years to start getting back on a level footing as we await youth players coming through the ranks to fill adult teams.

NO LEAGUES should punish ANY SIDE for not fulfilling a fixture for this season if they can not raise a side (just my opinion mind)

4 hours ago, Darin Morse said:

The demise of any club is, of course, sad; however I don't see how, in a free society, we can, or indeed should be able to, stop a group of keen mates from starting afresh if they want. Could it be the reason they want to found a new club is that they're unhappy with the way some "established" clubs are run (and I am not inferring in any way that includes Pendeen or any other particular club)?

Totally agree Darin, its not as simple as that.

1 hour ago, cornishteddyboy said:

NO LEAGUES should punish ANY SIDE for not fulfilling a fixture for this season if they can not raise a side (just my opinion mind)

Do you just mean financially CTB ? 

Unfortunately if there were no consequences to not fulfilling a game some clubs would just use this as an excuse to postpone matches because their super star striker is not available or they don't fancy a long trip etc  

I do agree that some common sense should be applied - tricky to legislate for that though.

Players heads got turned at a higher level and tbh better facilities and set up then was a knock on effect to other players as they then were worried about the strength of the squad it’s a very sad time,being involved with Pendeen at school boy level then watching family members play in the men’s team then to take it on myself and we did ok Tbf to see it all gone nearly 1000 years history at Pendeen just gone like that,hopefully in time someone can come along and perhaps start it again the team has gone but the club lives on 💛🖤

1 hour ago, baldy said:

Seems like you have a few enemies Dave. Can’t see why, you have been very open with your plans all along. Ignore the ******.

I'm not sure why I've been told that I should help Pendeen... I'm doing what I can to encourage participation but it's not down to me to help teams recruit players. 

I tried to help Gwinear but unfortunately they declined. Our players, I wouldn't say are at the standard to compete in the Combo/St Piran League just yet. 

13 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I'm not sure why I've been told that I should help Pendeen... I'm doing what I can to encourage participation but it's not down to me to help teams recruit players. 

I tried to help Gwinear but unfortunately they declined. Our players, I wouldn't say are at the standard to compete in the Combo/St Piran League just yet. 

When you say “our players are not combo/st piran standard” and state the club are looking to climb the leagues what then happens to the players that formed the club???

2 hours ago, golong said:

Too many teams in such a small area down that neck of the woods with not enough pool of players to pick from. 

Have to agree with that! Ludgvan resurrected and Pendeen fold; no direct connection between the two events but the player pool, which couldn't supply enough players last season, remains the same.

44 minutes ago, bigbadbarry said:

When you say “our players are not combo/st piran standard” and state the club are looking to climb the leagues what then happens to the players that formed the club???

We enter a Reserve side into the Trelawny League. We do what we are currently doing - utilise the other leagues - we have a Sunday side, 2 midweek sides (hopefully entering a third when the league starts in October) etc. 

On 13/08/2020 at 15:24, Number04 said:

I see that ludgvan have over 50 players signed on with just two teams.🤷‍♂️

That means nothing could be St Piran players registering who play elsewhere and players sign who sometimes only play 1 or 2 games then go Missing for 2 or 3 months. We have over 50 registered at ours but the matchday squads of available players number only 15 or 16 for each of our 2 teams (on a good day - will be lower in midwinter❄️⛈🌨️)

Sorry to hear the news Wayne. Hopefully the club will bounce back in the not too distant future mate. Sure we’ve all got some great memories of playing down Pendeen over the years, and not so great as well! Took a few cuts and bruises back to Truro on a Saturday night that’s for sure! Some good Pendeen sides over the years and hopefully will be again. 👏🏼

On 12/08/2020 at 21:43, cornish leg end said:

What a big loss to the combo league. I remember playing for st just v pendeen on a Boxing Day game massive crowd and a massive battle. They will be missed. Sad to say but they won’t be the last to pull out of any league across Cornwall this season.  

Exactly what I have said. When the season really starts, crowds are going to be way down because people will have lost interest. Even the senior sides will suffer. I for one doubt whether I will bother to walk out to the ground to watch.