Cornwall Football Forum

When can spectators return?

It seems you can watch games between two "grassroots" teams from 1st August but not any games featuring NLS teams - even if they're playing a "grassroots" team. The earliest date (mentioned by Boris) for spectators to return to stadiums is 1st October but the FA have requested early September. No decision announce yet!

Always use to be the case that club takings and crowds paying would go towards funding the players. Be interesting to know what clubs are in financial trouble by the end of this season if they promised more then they can afford to certain players. Especially if we get another lockdown at winter. I would have thought getting players to play for nothing for a season to help out would have been a great idea. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Always use to be the case that club takings and crowds paying would go towards funding the players. Be interesting to know what clubs are in financial trouble by the end of this season if they promised more then they can afford to certain players. Especially if we get another lockdown at winter. I would have thought getting players to play for nothing for a season to help out would have been a great idea. 

Could be a tell tale burst of transfer activity when players realise there is a gap between what clubs can give them, and what was promised when they signed on.

I read the directives from the FA and sought clarification from a well known league secretary.

It is the GROUND on which the match is played that determines if spectators are allowed.

St Austell res v Foxhole No spectators cos St A firsts are at Step 6. No spectators for PSF at Steps 1-6.

Foxhole v St Austell reserves Spectators are allowed as Foxhole play below Step 6. Groups of up to 6 spectators allowed. No limit on number of groups? Still a grey area, things may change, clubs may turn a blind eye, clubs may leave their gates open ....

Without the spectators being allowed into the matches who will cover the club expenses. The FA?

Even if clubs do not pay players there are regular over heads such as referees to pay, affiliation fees, insurances and utility bills as well as ground maintenance.

Surely the season cannot start until the clubs can generate income?

A common sense approach is needed from the bottom up and not the other way around.

On 27/07/2020 at 21:57, baldy said:

I read the directives from the FA and sought clarification from a well known league secretary.

It is the GROUND on which the match is played that determines if spectators are allowed.

St Austell res v Foxhole No spectators cos St A firsts are at Step 6. No spectators for PSF at Steps 1-6.

Foxhole v St Austell reserves Spectators are allowed as Foxhole play below Step 6. Groups of up to 6 spectators allowed. No limit on number of groups? Still a grey area, things may change, clubs may turn a blind eye, clubs may leave their gates open ....

So, if two groups of six  stand in close proximity to each other,and start to merge together (debating a referee decision, or celebrating a goal for example) would the host club be expected to separate them? 

Yesterday, I saw on the BBC Sport app that the National League are starting on October 3rd, subject to FA approval and presumably the government.

I was waiting for some reaction from somewhere but there has been none.

If correct, then Steps 1-6 would start then with presumably restricted number of supporters.

Just been told by ECPL secretary that Foxhole Stars can't have spectators for friendlies either home or away, this surely needs clearing up as Foxhole play on a recreation field, how can we stop people using it? No spectators means no income, with expenses like referee fees &  kit wash to pay for our cash reserve won't last very long.

I know that this is easy to say but clubs need to think outside the box, there are ways and means of fundraising. For example Helston have had Chairman’s bingo on the pitch. My club Redruth United have a monthly 50 / 50 draw and right through lockdown have been raising over £100 every month. It’s not a lot but it all helps. Local companies will find it harder to support our clubs.

Clubs 

Clubs be warned if relying upon premises licence to gain a ‘crowd’ at football match. Check licensed areas. Check club rules especially if members club to ensure full compliance. Investigations are in hand by authorities.

Surely a few pounds behind the bar is not worth risk if loosing licence, especially at these critical times 

Ignoring  health and welfare matters at your peril

I'm pretty sure that all dates for leagues restarting etc (SWPL down to Combo/Duchy) are explicitly under the assumption that spectators will be allowed to watch competitive matches. If this isn't cleared by the start of the leagues, then they will not start! The FA have said grassroots/non league football cannot survive or go ahead without spectators, so all pressure is now on the government to approve the plans the FA submitted.  I understand there may well be an update/announcement on 17th August, 2 days after all clubs risk assessments have to be submitted, including the management of spectators. So there is potentially the indication it will be approved before the season starts.

Regarding friendlies, the common sense advice I have heard is to not advertise that spectators can come along, not charge an admission, maybe a sign at the unlocked gate saying “enter at your own risk and stay behind the barriers, in groups of a max of 6 and 2 meters between any such groups (By charging an admission though you suddenly are responsible for them!).

The government have postponed the latest lockdown easing and it seems the brakes are going back on. I’m thinking this is going to be bad news as surely the brakes will go on supporters being allowed back too and football will be delayed. A lot of uncertainty a head. Stay safe. 

5 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

The government have postponed the latest lockdown easing and it seems the brakes are going back on. I’m thinking this is going to be bad news as surely the brakes will go on supporters being allowed back too and football will be delayed. A lot of uncertainty a head. Stay safe. 

Agree with you Mark, don't think there will be spectators allowed in football grounds in the near future.

On 29/07/2020 at 22:31, Jeff Chambers said:

Didn't realise he was on about Falmouth Town Leeds ?????? Just saying of course...UTT

our honours.PNG

21 hours ago, mattelot said:

Nice one Jeff! 😁

Couple of fools ... 🤣

Read my post .. most successful SWPL ( south west peninsula league ) I wasn't claiming of all time, I clearly stated SWPL .... Tut .. tut ... Nice try though 😂

42 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Couple of fools ... 🤣

Read my post .. most successful SWPL ( south west peninsula league ) I wasn't claiming of all time, I clearly stated SWPL .... Tut .. tut ... Nice try though 😂

Thank you Leeds. As long as you know the score regarding the history of Cornish football thats fine. lmao x ;) 

Same old crap goin as usual the subject was When will supporters be allowed back into grounds and its changed to tit for tat squabble  no point in playing preseason matches if spectators are not allowed in just as well  the 1st team play there 2nd teams its going to cost  a fortune to Newquay to play Nuneaton at the end of August whats the point if no one can watch them and Plymouth Parkway wouldnt be playing StBlazey for nothing that would be a great game to watch because St BLAZEY have got a really good side this year .Ok thats enougth of that its  back to the  LEEDS UNITED AND BIG AL SHOW your favourite double act and Entertainers

I cannot find anything in the FA Grassroots "advice" which specifically prevents spectators from attending pre-season matches. IF it's the ground the game is played on which dictates whether spectators are permitted - as mentioned in a previous post - then it would be ok for two Step 6 teams to play against each other, with spectators, by borrowing a "Grassroots" ground and also charge admission!

I'm not sure that's what the FA had in mind when stating NLS Clubs must play games in August behind closed doors.

11 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Same old crap goin as usual the subject was When will supporters be allowed back into grounds and its changed to tit for tat squabble  no point in playing preseason matches if spectators are not allowed in just as well  the 1st team play there 2nd teams its going to cost  a fortune to Newquay to play Nuneaton at the end of August whats the point if no one can watch them and Plymouth Parkway wouldnt be playing StBlazey for nothing that would be a great game to watch because St BLAZEY have got a really good side this year .Ok thats enougth of that its  back to the  LEEDS UNITED AND BIG AL SHOW your favourite double act and Entertainers

Fully agree. 

Parkway still meant to be playing argyle it’s that 1 game that bring in a ton of money. Pointless pre season if no one can attend 

5 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Why not just let spectators in as long as they where masks  think we would wear full protective clothing if we where allowed in to watch  a match i am still thinking of driving to St Blazey Tues night to see them play Parkway 

Who going to refuse you entry  ? Can bet there be loads from Plymouth driving down to watch. 

28 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Why not just let spectators in as long as they where masks  think we would wear full protective clothing if we where allowed in to watch  a match i am still thinking of driving to St Blazey Tues night to see them play Parkway 

I believe this game may well have been reversed to Parkway now.