Cornwall Football Forum

There is no good news !

The League’s main sponsor, Cornwall Airport Newquay, has pulled out of the three season sponsorship agreement after just one season. Following on the heels of the Knock Out Cup sponsorship not having been received the previous season, this leaves the League with a hole in its finances and it will not now be viable to waive the team subscription fees for the coming season.

Anyone who fancies having the honour of being the ‘Covid Season’ Duchy League sponsor should make contact with a League official.

A number of Duchy clubs are yet to affiliate with Cornwall FA. CFA is looking to have all clubs affiliated by the end of July and all leagues integrated with Full-Time by Friday August 7th – this date will also be the deadline for all Duchy clubs to have paid their subscriptions (plus entry fees & deposits where applicable) and therefore to have committed to starting the season.

Although local football has been given the green light it is clear to anyone whose sight has not been impaired by desperate over-optimism that the red light is still flickering in the background. The League wants to get the season underway in a safe and responsible manner and will take things steadily and sensibly. It has already been made clear to all clubs that the League may need to modify its plans as the situation unfolds, this remains the case.

All clubs should by now have received details of the FA’s requirement for risk assessments to be undertaken and also some details on the procedures that will need to be in place for football to restart.

This is not an area that I am familiar with but it is clear that these risk assessments are not to be taken lightly and they do carry a legal responsibility. It is quite likely that some clubs will not be able to complete a satisfactory assessment and/or will not be able to put the suitable procedures in place. These are FA requirements (and, to me, look quite daunting at our level), the League will help if possible but the best contact for assistance is Richard Pallot at Cornwall FA.

The League will NOT penalise any club that doesn’t feel able to continue in membership due to difficulties associated with the risk assessment or any other Covid 19 issues but we really need to know NOW to help with our planning.

A few final points:-
In order to conserve funds the League Handbook will be produced on-line this season.
Match results this coming season must NOT go to Mike Newcombe. The Secretary, Derek Walker, will be receiving the match results by text or email and clubs are urged to make use of the Match Day App (whatever that is!)
This will be Mike’s final season as Registration Secretary. Anyone interested in taking on the role for 2021/2 season should contact the secretary.
It is unlikely that any form of cup competition will be possible this season but the situation will be kept under review.
Of interest to older members especially, I am sorry to report that our president, Brian Conyon, is in particularly poor health at the moment.

Apologies – my glass is definitely half empty tonight.

Sobering news Paul. Clubs need to think long and carefully about whether or not they can fulfill the requirements of the assessment and of course, look carefully at their finances. A good report Paul, thank you.

Best wishes to Brian Conyon. 

Best wishes to Brian from all at Foxhole. It now seems virtually impossible to start the season in September, with all the requirements set out in the guidelines. Local clubs haven't got the resources to implement all these guidelines , personally I think a season start of January is a more realistic target.

1 hour ago, dave bunt said:

Best wishes to Brian from all at Foxhole. It now seems virtually impossible to start the season in September, with all the requirements set out in the guidelines. Local clubs haven't got the resources to implement all these guidelines , personally I think a season start of January is a more realistic target.

The FA think we are premiership clubs..loadsa money and matchday staff...lol

3 hours ago, dave bunt said:

The Peninsula, St Piran & East Cornwall Leagues seem to be planning to get straight into it  early September, it will be interesting to see how that works out. I think at Duchy level it will be sensible to take things slower.

My personal view is that if clubs are really on top of their covid preparations, are keen to play and there is a reasonable chance of getting a referee appointed then there is no harm giving them a game but likewise i see nothing to be gained by pressuring clubs that aren't ready or willing to start just yet and i seriously doubt that there will be enough referees to go around initially.

Whatever we do will be wrong i expect.

Thanks for all the good wishes to Brian, i am  passing them on.

Creating an acceptable Risk Assessment and a Safety Plan is possibly the easiest task. Putting things in place for training and matches is far more problematic  - unless there are many more volunteers than normal to help with the arrangements!

@Paul Collings with regards to texting the scores in etc, do you not use Full Time to do it all automatically? 

The risk assessments aren't that hard to create - if you have a look on the Duchy/Trelawny thread, I've popped my one up so your clubs are more than welcome to download and adapt as necessary.

Following from my recent experience with the Trelawny League, my desire to join a league in an official capacity has now dwindled and my workload running the Flexi League, full time job, separate business and a football club together with having a family etc is just too high, I'd like to consider the experience that I have gained over the last few seasons with Full Time and Whole Game would benefit your League of you needed help setting anything up or even showing people how to use it - in fact, I'm running a training session for my new Flexi League Committee soon on both systems so anyone that feels they'd need a lesson in those systems (more than happy to also explain Matchday), please let me know.

You're doing a sterling job - it's great to see an open, honest League Secretary disseminating information so keep up the good work. 

On 26/07/2020 at 16:20, Paul Collings said:

The Peninsula, St Piran & East Cornwall Leagues seem to be planning to get straight into it  early September, it will be interesting to see how that works out. I think at Duchy level it will be sensible to take things slower.

My personal view is that if clubs are really on top of their covid preparations, are keen to play and there is a reasonable chance of getting a referee appointed then there is no harm giving them a game but likewise i see nothing to be gained by pressuring clubs that aren't ready or willing to start just yet and i seriously doubt that there will be enough referees to go around initially.

Whatever we do will be wrong i expect.

Thanks for all the good wishes to Brian, i am  passing them on.

Paul, hugely respect the league on decisions they make, but struggling to understand why the Duchy can’t follow the other leagues within the county and release fixtures and a plan on when they are looking to start. 

we at St Dominic are in the east Cornwall league and are putting in measures for safety of players and spectators, why won’t we be able to do the same for our duchy side come the beginning of September. 

I understand there will be clubs against starting straight away, but the majority will be raring to go. Please don’t take this negatively, it more of a question to clear up the confusion.

Mind you listening to the negative scare mongering media we'll be back in lockdown within weeks.......so it’ll be back out of the leagues control!!!!

3 hours ago, Massive88 said:

Paul, hugely respect the league on decisions they make, but struggling to understand why the Duchy can’t follow the other leagues within the county and release fixtures and a plan on when they are looking to start. 

we at St Dominic are in the east Cornwall league and are putting in measures for safety of players and spectators, why won’t we be able to do the same for our duchy side come the beginning of September. 

I understand there will be clubs against starting straight away, but the majority will be raring to go. Please don’t take this negatively, it more of a question to clear up the confusion.

Mind you listening to the negative scare mongering media we'll be back in lockdown within weeks.......so it’ll be back out of the leagues control!!!!

I do accept that many clubs just want to crack on with it now and perhaps we are being too pessimistic and cautious - time will tell I guess. 

There just seemed to be too many negatives and unknowns to be rushing into things when there wasn't any need to do so. I did hear today that all our clubs have now affiliated with Cornwall FA, which is a positive sign, but not all have got insurance yet and not all have completed the League affiliation.  We've set ourselves a deadline of sorts, next weekend, after which we will press on and it won't take long to bring out the first fixtures. 

I hope we can keep everyone happy soon.

To echo Paul's comments the first fixtures are an absolute doddle so once we have clarified all clubs are prepared to start the season under these unusual circumstances it wont take very long to add the first half of the season to Full-time. Also with it being a later start and not so much interference (if any) from the cricket I won't face the usual issues of having to delay some teams home fixtures. 

4 hours ago, Footballlover442 said:

Do we know what the leauges will look like next season and who's playing who? 

Stoke Climsland's withdrawal from the Premier Division left the League a team short of maximum numbers for the coming season and opened the way for Polzeath to enter the League. 

Polzeath will enter in the bottom division as is normal procedure but no decision has been taken yet as to which teams will move up in order to balance out the divisions in line with the constitution which states a maximum of 15 teams per division.

The member clubs have been given until next weekend to confirm their commitment to carry on this season and, assuming all the teams do continue, the committee will then have to tackle the troublesome task of balancing the divisions.

As things stand the divisions are as follows:-

Premier (14) : AFC Bodmin, Altarnon, Boscastle, Foxhole Stars, Gunnislake, Holywell & Cubert, Lanivet, Lifton, Lostwithiel, St Breward, St Merryn, Saltash Utd 3rds, Tintagel, Tregrehan Mills.

Division One (15) : Bude Town Reserves, Calstock, Dobwalls Reserves, Gerrans & St Mawes Utd, Gorran, Lifton Reserves, Mevagissey, Nanpean Rovers, North Petherwin, Pensilva, Polperro Reserves, St Eval Spitfires, St Minver Reserves, Southgate Seniors, Week St Mary.

Division Two (16) : Biscovey, Boscastle Reserves, Bude Town 3rds, Delabole, Grampound, Gunnislake Reserves, Lostwithiel Reserves, North Hill, North Petherwin Reserves, Polzeath, Queens Rangers, St Dominick Reserves, St Cleer Reserves, St Columb Major, St Mawgan Reserves, St Stephen Reserves.

Fixed ??? A team pulled out the prem so a team went up from one meaning a team went up from 2 st columb was top of that league it makes sense u donut 🍩 

They was top of that league 

50 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

Is it right that St Columb have been promoted? If so, on what basis have they been given it over other teams? 

The vast majority of clubs agreed that the divisions were generally too small and that dropping one was a good idea.

I understand that in any reshuffle of divisions some individuals will feel that their clubs have fared less well than others. Nothing I can say will appease them but I believe the league has dealt with this logically and fairly and (where appropriate) in liaison with the clubs involved. No Duchy team has been relegated, so nobody is worse off.

There is absolutely no justification to suggest that anyone was ‘robbed’ or anything has been ‘fixed’.

Two teams wanted to take voluntary relegation from the ECPL. It was felt that moving them straight into the premier division would be unfair to our existing division one clubs who were pushing for promotion. Division one was particularly short of teams so entering them there did not penalise the existing division two teams. It is also quite common practice for voluntary relegation to involve dropping two divisions.

Because last season was not completed the pecking order for promotion was decided on the ‘points per game played’ basis.  Promotion gained this way is only really sensible for the top few teams in any division. At the lower levels in each division the teams are already struggling and it serves little purpose to move these teams up a tier – being realistic, they probably would not cope.

Stoke Climsland’s withdrawal from the premier division caused a dilemma. The next team in line for promotion, very sensibly, did not feel it was ready to step up and the next logical move would be for one of the ECPL sides to go up.  Another team would then be required for division one and again the next in line were not ready for the move up.  The only logical thing to do would be to consider the top teams in division three, two of which were way ahead of the rest on ‘points per game’ with St Columb Major being ahead of St Dominick.

Now that all clubs have committed to competing for the coming season the committee can finalise the constitution of the divisions and an official notification will be put out soon.

23 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

The vast majority of clubs agreed that the divisions were generally too small and that dropping one was a good idea.

I understand that in any reshuffle of divisions some individuals will feel that their clubs have fared less well than others. Nothing I can say will appease them but I believe the league has dealt with this logically and fairly and (where appropriate) in liaison with the clubs involved. No Duchy team has been relegated, so nobody is worse off.

There is absolutely no justification to suggest that anyone was ‘robbed’ or anything has been ‘fixed’.

Two teams wanted to take voluntary relegation from the ECPL. It was felt that moving them straight into the premier division would be unfair to our existing division one clubs who were pushing for promotion. Division one was particularly short of teams so entering them there did not penalise the existing division two teams. It is also quite common practice for voluntary relegation to involve dropping two divisions.

Because last season was not completed the pecking order for promotion was decided on the ‘points per game played’ basis.  Promotion gained this way is only really sensible for the top few teams in any division. At the lower levels in each division the teams are already struggling and it serves little purpose to move these teams up a tier – being realistic, they probably would not cope.

Stoke Climsland’s withdrawal from the premier division caused a dilemma. The next team in line for promotion, very sensibly, did not feel it was ready to step up and the next logical move would be for one of the ECPL sides to go up.  Another team would then be required for division one and again the next in line were not ready for the move up.  The only logical thing to do would be to consider the top teams in division three, two of which were way ahead of the rest on ‘points per game’ with St Columb Major being ahead of St Dominick.

Now that all clubs have committed to competing for the coming season the committee can finalise the constitution of the divisions and an official notification will be put out soon.

Fair enough, it’s a shame we at St Dominic had a cup run so we were behind on our league games and due to the wet winter. We also had St Columb to play twice, but there you go things like this happen in the new weird world we’re living in.

Congratulations to St Columb.

I certainly agree that it would have been much better if both sides could have been moved up without it affecting the existing teams because some of them may well have felt aggrieved if lower division sides jumped above them. . To be honest, I am very surprised that we haven't had further withdrawals which may have made this possible.

Latest news - there is now the possibility of a vacancy to allow St Dominick to move up along with St Columb Major. 

We did set a deadline of sorts of this coming Friday for clubs to confirm their situations - we are trying to be flexible and accommodating given the overall situation.

The final layout of the divisions will be notified in due course.

1 hour ago, Paul Collings said:

Latest news - there is now the possibility of a vacancy to allow St Dominick to move up along with St Columb Major. 

We did set a deadline of sorts of this coming Friday for clubs to confirm their situations - we are trying to be flexible and accommodating given the overall situation.

Thankless task buddy.

Well done from me.

4 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

Does that mean a team in the prem may well be pulling out? 

Lifton Reserves decided not to  accept an additional promotion spot into Division One and the vacancy has been filled by St Dominic Reserves. The constitution of the divisions is now final and fixtures will be out soon.

Premier (15) : AFC Bodmin, Altarnon, Boscastle, Foxhole Stars, Gunnislake, Holywell & Cubert, Lanivet, Lifton, Lostwithiel, North Petherwin, St Breward, St Merryn, Saltash Utd 3rds, Tintagel, Tregrehan Mills.

Division One (15) : Bude Town Reserves, Calstock, Dobwalls Reserves, Gerrans & St Mawes Utd, Gorran, Mevagissey, Nanpean Rovers, Pensilva, Polperro Reserves, St Columb Major, St Dominick Reserves, St Eval Spitfires, St Minver Reserves, Southgate Seniors, Week St Mary.

Division Two (15) : Biscovey, Boscastle Reserves, Bude Town 3rds, Delabole, Grampound, Gunnislake Reserves, Lifton Reserves, Lostwithiel Reserves, North Hill, North Petherwin Reserves, Polzeath, Queens Rangers, St Cleer Reserves,  St Mawgan Reserves, St Stephen Reserves.

55 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Lifton Reserves decided not to  accept an additional promotion spot into Division One and the vacancy has been filled by St Dominic Reserves. The constitution of the divisions is now final and fixtures will be out soon.

Premier (15) : AFC Bodmin, Altarnon, Boscastle, Foxhole Stars, Gunnislake, Holywell & Cubert, Lanivet, Lifton, Lostwithiel, North Petherwin, St Breward, St Merryn, Saltash Utd 3rds, Tintagel, Tregrehan Mills.

Division One (15) : Bude Town Reserves, Calstock, Dobwalls Reserves, Gerrans & St Mawes Utd, Gorran, Mevagissey, Nanpean Rovers, Pensilva, Polperro Reserves, St Columb Major, St Dominick Reserves, St Eval Spitfires, St Minver Reserves, Southgate Seniors, Week St Mary.

Division Two (15) : Biscovey, Boscastle Reserves, Bude Town 3rds, Delabole, Grampound, Gunnislake Reserves, Lifton Reserves, Lostwithiel Reserves, North Hill, North Petherwin Reserves, Polzeath, Queens Rangers, St Cleer Reserves,  St Mawgan Reserves, St Stephen Reserves.

Are fixtures likely to be in September?

1 hour ago, Footballlover442 said:

How many sides have we lost from the duchy league since last season already? I count 4

St anns Chapel, roche 2s, St stephans 2s, Stoke climsland 

Horrible to see the leauge lose sides 

agreed. i wish i could say we have seen the last of it. i'm not convinced that some clubs realise just how problematic the season ahead is going to be.

Our friends at the Trelawny League have also lost some along the way plus Combo & St Piran so its across the board.