Cornwall Football Forum

Football’s coming back, it’s coming back.............

According to today’s Times, we could, in theory be playing football this week! If the F.A. can present its Covid-19 protocols to the government and get them accepted in the next two days (which they claim that they can do) then we could be on the pitch on Saturday.

Yes, it’s as I predicted, nothing done for weeks and months on end, when they could have been writing protocols and talking to the Minister. Now, suddenly it’s rush, rush, rush, with players wanting to go and wreck the beautifully prepared pitches and managers and administrators trying to organise friendliest and competitions.

Well done though to the organisers, mainly Phil H, of the Walter C. Parson cup. At least someone in the country has prepared in advance and hopefully All his hard work will be rewarded with some delicious looking games🏆‼️

Enjoyed a very pleasant afternoon watching Hampstead CC v Harpenden on Saturday . Changing rooms not available to players or umpires, no teas served and had to give contact details before entering bar area. Easy enough to apply at a cricket match in an open park on a hot and sunny afternoon with no more than 15-20 spectators (still can't understand why the recreation leagues weren't playing weeks ago), but non league football on cold,wet afternoons and evenings is another matter. Looking forward to seeing the FA's proposals and guidelines, and hope they are as comprehensive and well thought through as the ECB's, but worry that there will be more grey areas and questions than solutions. It is likely to be one hell of an administrative and financial burden placed upon clubs that are already stretched and struggling with finance and volunteers.

I do fear what would happen if a player, supporter, official, committee member or volunteer tested positive for COVID 19. Would it then become the clubs responsibility to gather together and submit contact details to the relevant authorities? 

Local, grassroots football could start shortly because the FA don't consider it attracts spectators nor that teams travel very far for games. No changing rooms or showers to be used, wear kit to game etc etc. Teams playing in the National League System don't fall into that category!

sorry guys just don't see it being able to happen. A very experienced lady has put together a very good risk assessment for us, based on retail trade guidelines  modified  where necessary to suit grassroots football. I don't see how it can be done with the very limited manpower grass roots has at it's disposal. In grass roots cricket they have to stop every 20 minutes and sanitise their hands and the ball. Arguably a football is handled by more hands and more often than a cricket ball. For the past 70 years football has been part of my life and I want to see it played again,but safely. I hope I am wrong but I don't see any change before October and even then  I don't believe it will be football as we know it.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Thanks for this leuan.

''Limited manpower'' - I would have thought that at our level, there would have been many willing hands to help. Maybe I'm wrong. One thing's for sure, we all want football to start again soon.

Unfortunately not Keith. Almost every club is crying out for volunteers, most rely on a small, dedicated, team to keep things going.Everybody on here is desperate to get football going, but how many are willing to make themselves available when needed?

33 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Unfortunately not Keith. Almost every club is crying out for volunteers, most rely on a small, dedicated, team to keep things going.Everybody on here is desperate to get football going, but how many are willing to make themselves available when needed?

And even the current band of dedication volunteers are mostly a bit on the elderly side and some will still be shielding due to various vulnerabilities. I see little more chance of new helpers now than last year. For most it’s watch & go!