Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League 2020-2021

With the AGM that never was been and gone this week the league have started to make some plans for the forthcoming season 
Firstly I’m not on the league committee so what I put on here is not the official line from the league but I am just conveying what has been passed to the club secretaries (and adding a bit of my nonsensical observations) so before everyone starts getting their knickers in a twist and looking for statues of the former FHFL, Mining League and Trelawny League Committee members to tear down because outrage and being disgruntled are the ‘in thing’ these days spare a thought for the volunteers on the league Committee who can only react to current FA guidance and try to manage a number of possibilities .......everything Including delayed starts and the mitigation required for fixture completion has been considered for the times we are living in 

1.  Firstly and probably the most obvious statement don’t expect to be kicking a ball in anger on the 8th August unless you live In some alternative magical universe with fairies and pixies called ‘trump land’. Sadly it’s very unlikely and whilst the league are hopeful for a normal start on time in August let’s all come back to planet earth and be realistic that we are more likely to be looking at late September or even into October.

2.  If it is a reduced fixture window for one season only their is a proposal to reorganise the league structure and  have only 10 clubs per division (18 matches) and create a division 3 so a total of 5 divisions (I can never understand why we have this premier and championship nonsense, what’s wrong with 1 to 5? it’s like Man Utd fans thinking top flight football only began in 1991 and the other 103 years and titles won before it don’t count!!! 😉🎣🎣)

3. Cup competitions are a bit up in the air until a start date can be confirmed. if the league kicks off deep into the autumn it’s probably unlikely they will go ahead this season. A review on their viability will take place in the New Year (probably around the same time we have the newspaper headline of worst winter weather in 30 years!!!) so unless someone can tilt the earth and make the evenings lighter the fixture list will be a bit tight......The way 2020 is going this is probably a distinct possibility that the earth will tilt and in fact the fixture Secretary is probably as I write most likely hatching a dastardly plan Involving some left over dynamite from South Crofty acting like a bond villain in a fake volcano to achieve ‘operation evening games all year’........if it does happen I can guarantee You we will get fixtured away to St Just on a Tuesday night.

4. A total of 5 new teams have applied to enter at division 3 and they are Dropship, Mullion 3rds, Carharrack (rising like Lazarus) Mount Ambrose & Lanner whch if true is a bit strange as I think they finished the season in the top division

5. Regarding promotion and relegation for the 21/22 season its all a bit up in the air as the league will want to return to normal and 14 team divisions but like throwing a fox into the henhouse the possibility of a merger with Combo for the 21/22 season would mean Mystic meg from the mid 90’s lottery programme would probably have a better chance of predicting the outcome.

6. On the good news front (always end on a high.....well apart from what I have written in Para 7!) Whirlwind Sports have continued their sponsorship of the league and any Trelawny Club spending a minimum of £150 in one visit at any Whirlwind Sports Branch would get 50% discount on that spend - with the proviso the spend was on Football kit and footballs. The deal is not restricted to one visit and available at any of the Whirlwind shops 👏🙌👍 

.7.  And finally just to throw a little petrol on the bonfire the league are still looking for volunteers for league Secretary, Registration Secretary and Results Secretary..........basically all the positions that make the league ‘Tick’ any volunteers please contact the league president.

Cue the Eastenders drum roll ‘dum, dum, dum Duddy - dum‘

I think the smaller divisions is a good idea. It at least gives us half a chance of cup competitions too! The proposed divisions look a lot more balanced than recent years, so I think they've done really well given the circumstances 👍

Can't see any reason for clubs to oppose the plan. I think when the Combo and Trelawny merge there will have to be a full restructure anyway.

P.S the bar is still open on a Tuesday evening down St Just, so no need to worry! 

2 minutes ago, The Tinner said:

I think the smaller divisions is a good idea. It at least gives us half a chance of cup competitions too! The proposed divisions look a lot more balanced than recent years, so I think they've done really well given the circumstances 👍

Can't see any reason for clubs to oppose the plan. I think when the Combo and Trelawny merge there will have to be a full restructure anyway.

P.S the bar is still open on a Tuesday evening down St Just, so no need to worry! 

......I feel I am going to have to start using another generic far west club one day 😉 I do like the bar in St Just though 😆👏

2 minutes ago, Soccer Follower said:

Nice of your to volunteer Holmans for a Tuesday night trip to the far reaches of Penwith Neil.

Haha sadly we are 2 divisions below so I’m bomb proof........it’s hard enough getting through Redruth to play at Chacewater 😳

Regarding Lanner applying, yes this is true. We very much struggled in the Prem last season and, although we were always able to raise a side, we lost some of our players and the team was effectively playing out of its depth. We felt that we would not survive as a club if we played another season at that level, so we decided to withdraw and apply to re-enter the league this season. This is not about a team wanting to burst its way up through the leagues with a team of "superstars" more about ensuring the future of a club that had been "promoted" all the way to the Prem without ever earning it (from 8th place the season before)

Humorous as always neil and actually some good points made...😱🤗.I will be studying all my e mails today and voting on the various subjects I have to vote on....clubs have a problem attracting volunteers so not surprised the league is having a problem...hopefully somebody will step up...

Certain individuals should have treated their previous volunteers a bit better and appreciated what they did... I think they've finally realised just how much work, time and effort some of us actually put in. They're reaping what they sow now I'm afraid. I'd love nothing more than to get back involved, pick up where I left off and get back to being a genuine servant to our clubs.😕

@Pitty thank you for this post. It's all news to me which, as the Vice Chair of Dropship FC, it's important to know what's happening. Hopefully all the Trelawny Clubs will see that my club has been sustainable over the last three seasons, fielding up to three teams each season in the Flexi League (X2) and Sunday League and as a result, we get voted in. 

I feel for Lanner, with Peggy being a close friend of mine, I believe he's made the right choice for his club. They have been one of the unfortunate teams that have gained promotion over the past few seasons from positions where promotion shouldn't have been gained. Hopefully they can now rebuild. It will also be good to welcome Carharrack back into the League after a short absence. Hopefully some lessons have been learnt and they will take their previous experiences forward to build the club again. With the rise of Mount Ambrose, we could see the demise of Perranwell Reserves which will be a great shame for the League and for the Club. It's also good to see Mullion entering a Third side. Another statement of growth being issued by the club and I wish them every success. Mullion is always a welcoming place so if both of us are successful, I look forward to going down there.

20/21 is going to be an odd season. Running the Flexi League, we've already decided not to run two phases this season, instead opting to start the League in January for a single phase. We will however be finishing off the 19/20 season before Christmas hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

With clubs having to vote on these new teams/clubs how do we find out what where and why about them please

Apart from Dropside

I expected us to have to write a letter of some sort for the member clubs to hear what we have to say (like all new clubs do at an AGM where they stand up and have their say) however I don't think that was the case :( I used the forum and Facebook to do that.

24 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

With clubs having to vote on these new teams/clubs how do we find out what where and why about them please

Apart from Dropside

A very valid question Mr Eddy. I assume I don't need to fill you in on the who what where and why of Lanner?

If it’s true that  Perranwell res. could fold because of a mass exodus of players, then We have a duty to say no to Mount Ambrose. This would be a shame because of a great set up at the cricket club. I believe Lanner RFC have folded and it would be on the same pitch. We have seen this time and again and this is my opinion we cannot let it happen again.

29 minutes ago, peggy78 said:

A very valid question Mr Eddy. I assume I don't need to fill you in on the who what where and why of Lanner?

Peggy what’s the situation with the pub, I know it’s out of your hands and is a right pain in the arse for your club

8 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

If it’s true that  Perranwell res. could fold because of a mass exodus of players, then We have a duty to say no to Mount Ambrose. This would be a shame because of a great set up at the cricket club. I believe Lanner RFC have folded and it would be on the same pitch. We have seen this time and again and this is my opinion we cannot let it happen again.

Peggy what’s the situation with the pub, I know it’s out of your hands and is a right pain in the arse for your club

Prior to the lockdown it was due to re-open, there were new landlords in there starting to do some work. We've not been able to get any updates since the lockdown, but have a couple of alternative plans should they not re-open