Cornwall Football Forum

Tavistock - Why Aren't They Talked About More?

I know this is a Cornish football site, and people from Tavistock never post on here, but I often think the club goes under the radar and their achievements aren't spoken about enough.

Parkway (rightly) receive a lot of plaudits, and have a very high profile because of gates they attract, a high profile manager and chairman and the quality of their media output, but Tavistock seem to go under the radar a bit. When you look at what they have achieved on the pitch in the past four seasons with two Peninsula League titles, a run to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup and top of the Western League when it was halted with a title and promotion push very much on the cards, there is a lot to shout about.

Manager Stuart Henderson must be attracting attention from clubs higher up the pyramid. He he has achieved a lot with a  core of well established players (Dave Hallet and Josh Robins seem to have been their for many years), who he adds to with a few astute, but not necessarily big name, signings each year that improve on what they already have ( most clubs in the league would love to have Josh Oak,Dan Evans, Warren Daw and Jack Crago) There never seems to a high turnover in the squad, which must indicate how happy they are with the management and club as a whole.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

I guess we've got used to travelling within Devon and Cornwall. To support Tavistock or Parkway now, you will have to get used to travelling some miles. Bad enough on a Saturday, but a nightmare on a weekday evening if you are a working man/woman.  I wonder how many travelling fans these two teams get now ? 

Not sure about Tavi, but Parkway usually take a full coach (and also a few carloads) to away matches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Aaron Bentley signed from Taunton. 

Another quality player added to the squad, real contenders in the championship and promotion race.

How comes parkway let him go if he top quality ? 

Seems to have gone to Taunton struggled to start in pre season hasn’t really hung around to fight for a place and ended up dropping back down the league again 

Seem to do the same at Truro 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

How comes parkway let him go if he top quality ? 

Seems to have gone to Taunton struggled to start in pre season hasn’t really hung around to fight for a place and ended up dropping back down the league again 

Seem to do the same at Truro 

Good question. Judging by the comments made about him in the Round Are Way film, he was highly regarded within the club. He was also liked by the regular Parkway supporters that I speak to.

Don't know what happened at Taunton, but at Truro I heard that promises made to him before he signed were not forthcoming. He got caught up in Truro's on the pitch matters as the side was sliding towards relegation under Leigh Robinson, and also off the pitch stuff with the owners trying to sell the club.

Tavi is a really good club for him to be at. They have several players in Dan Evans, Warren Daw and Josh Grant who have come back strongly after trying their luck at higher levels.