Cornwall Football Forum

Start of new season

On 22/06/2020 at 20:50, BIG AL said:

The country is going to have to live around this virus. Firstly abandon the stupid furloughed scheme, this is costing millions daily. Get these people back at work and lets open up. All these people have had a good paid long holiday at the taxpayer expense. School teachers will probably get an even longer one! I have worked thru from the commencement and I am sure many others have as well. Local football is local and there is no reason why the season should not begin. A few simple precautions are needed but the problem will not be a spread among the crowds because there aren’t any!

School teachers to get an even longer one? Is that a joke? Since lockdown started I've worked on average of 55-60 hours both in school and at home while only being contracted to 32. Please don't think teachers aren't working. I want children back in school it's a sad place with so few in.

8 hours ago, bighairydave said:

School teachers to get an even longer one? Is that a joke? Since lockdown started I've worked on average of 55-60 hours both in school and at home while only being contracted to 32. Please don't think teachers aren't working. I want children back in school it's a sad place with so few in.

Well said and well done from me.

12 hours ago, bighairydave said:

A 32 hour week blimey!

Schools, like hospitals and care homes survive on the goodwill of their staff. Very few stop at their contracted hours, most put in hours of unpaid overtime. When you divide pay by hours worked most teachers and nurses would barely make the minimum wage! As for the (key worker) support staff, most qualify for “universal credit” despite working full time!

16 hours ago, Charlick4 said:

Do you not think we would already have had a second wave by now if it was going to happen. The beaches were packed out 2/3weeks ago along with all the rioting that was happening 🤔

March/ April was probably the second wave, most people I talk to seem to have had an illness with Covid symptoms from November to February when the government was in denial. One person who I know was very ill in February and was treated for pneumonia and then meningitis before the test came in and recognised as Covid. Seems to be much weaker now,people still getting it but not so ill.

55 minutes ago, hoppit said:

March/ April was probably the second wave, most people I talk to seem to have had an illness with Covid symptoms from November to February when the government was in denial. One person who I know was very ill in February and was treated for pneumonia and then meningitis before the test came in and recognised as Covid. Seems to be much weaker now,people still getting it but not so ill.

I’m sure there could be something in that 🤔

15 hours ago, hoppit said:

Now I ain't a medical expert, but 2 of my really good friends both fit and healthy in 30s both ended up in Derriford with lung and breathing problems following from a nasty virus in mid January.  Both had pneumonia in the end. Equally I had the same virus and i was wiped out for about 10 days at the end of January and I had weird symptom of mild shingles as well but I've had flu twice in my life, and trust me that virus I had  was worse.

We're all of the thought that, that was Covid. And its interesting the amount of people here in Plymouth (work colleagues mutual friends) who have all stated the same- ill in early/mid January like they've never been ill before with horrendous cough and breathing problems.

Until we get the antibodies test, we're in the dark.

On 24/06/2020 at 12:20, BIG AL said:

A 32 hour week blimey!

That's what teachers are contracted and paid for! The amount of over time and work that teachers do unpaid behind closed doors that people like yourself wouldn't understand is massive. Teachers haven't stopped working at all. Creating and uploading lessons every day, trying to find new and imaginative ways to educate our children and support them, whilst supporting Key workers children as well.  You haven't got a clue Big Al.

On 23/06/2020 at 18:22, BIG AL said:

Totally agree, all get back to work and lets start living. There is no reason why football in Cornwall should not start. Too many excuses are being invented!

your 100% correct you shouldn't make excuses all the time.........when are you watching Falmouth Town next Al?

JW

6 hours ago, John Mead said:

Any NLS Clubs near Leicester are certainly not ready to start playing yet!

I wonder where the next "hot-spots" will be? With visitors expected to flood Devon & Cornwall over July and August, we could be amongst the favourites!  We still need to tread very warily. Stay safe.

36 UK Cities/Counties pinpointed in facing a lockdown including Plymouth

Build The Wall along the Tamar

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

36 UK Cities/Counties pinpointed in facing a lockdown including Plymouth

Build The Wall along the Tamar

For anyone that has read the daily express article (there must be someone) regarding the list of cities at risk of imminent (Plymouth is on the list) this is a tweet calling out the rag.

“This article is suggesting lockdown imminent based on increases in Pillar 1 cases. Let's take one example from the list: York.

Cases have gone up from 0 in week to 19 June to ... a total of 2 in week up to 26 June. And no Pillar 1 cases at all reported since 21st June!”

try and not fall for the scaremongering press 

9 hours ago, Hetty said:

try and not fall for the scaremongering press 

So forget all the scaremongering press reports and look at the World Health Organisaton figures that state that in excess of 500,000 people wordwide have died from covid19.
43,475 of those deaths were in the U.K. , nothing to worry about there then, ( unless you happened to have lost a family member or friend ) 
Lets run the considerable risk of a spike in covid 19 deaths in Cornwall, provided it doesn't affect me it doesen't matter about the rest of the community.
No brainer it seems, or maybe no brain?

Yep, the very idea of opening Pubs, Clubs and restaurants at the same time as letting in the hordes of invaders from the north and east is absolute lunacy. We’ll make Leicester, California and Afghanistan look like some kind of local hiccup! One thing at a time Boris. Lift one restriction, wait a fortnight to see the impact on infection and hospitalisations then (and only then) move on to the next. But if he won’t listen to the Chief Medical Officer or the legions of scientists what chance do I have? (I think he’s forgotten that he nearly died!)

1 hour ago, We Two said:

So forget all the scaremongering press reports and look at the World Health Organisaton figures that state that in excess of 500,000 people wordwide have died from covid19.
43,475 of those deaths were in the U.K. , nothing to worry about there then, ( unless you happened to have lost a family member or friend ) 
Lets run the considerable risk of a spike in covid 19 deaths in Cornwall, provided it doesn't affect me it doesen't matter about the rest of the community.
No brainer it seems, or maybe no brain?

Most people now want to return to life while abiding by the rules set by the government. Those who are not happy with that are free to stay indoors until they have they confidence to resume life 

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

From my angle, no work, no money, no food , as simple as that! Sole reason why I have been working throughout!

If you are the sole provider for your family Al, why do you advocate the risk of spreading the pandemic by starting football and increasing the risk of a life threatening illness.
Not including anyone who has lost their fight for life outside of a hospital enviroment, 90 people in Cornwall and their friends and families  may disagree with the cavalier it won't happen to me brigade.
No one can deny that this virus is a killer which will be all the harder to eradicate as long as we dismiss it as someone elses problem.

1 minute ago, We Two said:

If you are the sole provider for your family Al, why do you advocate the risk of spreading the pandemic by starting football and increasing the risk of a life threatening illness.
Not including anyone who has lost their fight for life outside of a hospital enviroment, 90 people in Cornwall and their friends and families  may disagree with the cavalier it won't happen to me brigade.
No one can deny that this virus is a killer which will be all the harder to eradicate as long as we dismiss it as someone elses problem.

Because all this now is paranoia!!

8 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Because all this now is paranoia!!

Sometimes it's difficult to believe that people can dismiss the advice of world renowned medical practicioners as paranoia, we wonder if the families and friends of people registered as convid19 deaths in Falmouth  (they exist) would agree.
Total disrespect towards other beings.

2 hours ago, We Two said:

Sometimes it's difficult to believe that people can dismiss the advice of world renowned medical practicioners as paranoia, we wonder if the families and friends of people registered as convid19 deaths in Falmouth  (they exist) would agree.
Total disrespect towards other beings.

My thoughts on the subject, not necessarily shared by others. No doubt you wish I was dead!

3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

BIG AL, paranoia is an irrational fear, there is nothing irrational in being very afraid of COVID-19, for those virus deniers like yourself, try another psychiatric disorder: La belle indifference, I think you’ll find that the cap fits!

Ha ha ha !

And here we go again - many of us had had a very long 3 months, for differing reasons and personal cost. The forum has provided some much needed distraction (especially Silly Billy and Fenman’s jokes which have been a daily chuckle) - suddenly Big Al resurfaces and after this post I won’t bother coming back on - you ruin it mate. Keep safe everyone and will look forward to seeing you all as / when football actually starts again.  

Hi Bobjfh, sorry to see you go and glad that you’ve announced it or I might never have noticed. The forum is a diverse platform just like the rest of the world and there is as much room for BIGAL as there is for the stalwarts you mention and of course the “Interesting” team. We’ve all had a tough few months with a few more to come no doubt, and we’d all like to be debating a game or two, but this is where we are; live and let live. Look after yourself while you’re isolating and we will look forward to your input when you feel you have something to say.

53 minutes ago, baldy said:

However, I have decided that this is the last time I respond and in future, I shall scroll past without reading.

Surely the thing to do Bobjfh rather than leave the forum! Otherwise we'll miss your informed thoughts on our local football scene

57 minutes ago, Keith B said:

No one (in his right mind) wishes you were dead BIG AL. You are quite entitled to your opinions. I just wish you would think things through more before you press the send button. Stay safe BIG AL.

It's not possible to sensibly debate a subject with someone with such an irrational train of thought Keith B.
As he says his thoughts, that he is entitled to are his own thank goodness, and not those of the majority of people of either persuasion regarding the pandemic.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

I think there should always be the offer to talk things through with someone. We should never give up hope. 

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone, as long as you can explain why you disagree whilst still respecting the other person's opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone, as long as you can explain why you disagree whilst still respecting the other person's opinion. 

I would disagree with Boris Johnson on just about everything but I would find it impossible to respect his (or do I mean Dominic Cummings?) opinion. However this forum is an entirely different matter, I like to see posts from BIGAL, Leeds and the like in the certain knowledge that I’ll get a laugh and a very different perspective on things. I rarely agree with them but it gets me thinking as to why not!

It would seem that recreational cricket can return next week (after a government U turn)! However nothing yet about football, I wonder if the reason might be that Ministers and their advisers and Civil Servants have no interest, or knowledge about the game. I suspect that they believe that it’s a winter game so there’s no hurry to make a decision, absolutely no consideration for the administration of leagues and the time and effort required to organise a season. Perhaps we should get Marcus Rashford (the U turn king) to have a word!

• 2 weeks later...