Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

School teachers to get an even longer one? Is that a joke? Since lockdown started I've worked on average of 55-60 hours both in school and at home while only being contracted to 32. Please don't think

That's what teachers are contracted and paid for! The amount of over time and work that teachers do unpaid behind closed doors that people like yourself wouldn't understand is massive. Teachers haven'

And here we go again - many of us had had a very long 3 months, for differing reasons and personal cost. The forum has provided some much needed distraction (especially Silly Billy and Fenman’s jokes

Strangely no one ever quantifies under what conditions things can restart. Like rates of new infections or deaths. That way the government can be subjective and politicise the whole process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure most players would love to get back to playing but the FA & Government have to assess when it would be safe to do so. The pro clubs make up a very small number of clubs when compared to the rest of the clubs in the UK. That's many thousands of players - with no testing - put at extra risk of catching or spreading the virus. Is that a risk we should consider taking until the known infection rate is much lower than at present?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, John Mead said:

I'm sure most players would love to get back to playing but the FA & Government have to assess when it would be safe to do so. The pro clubs make up a very small number of clubs when compared to the rest of the clubs in the UK. That's many thousands of players - with no testing - put at extra risk of catching or spreading the virus. Is that a risk we should consider taking until the known infection rate is much lower than at present?

With an average gate of 50 the risk is virtually zero to all concerned. The trouble with the fa is as always too many bosses and not enough braves!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need to learn to live  with the virus as it's not going anywhere until a vaccine or cure is found, as Al says with relatively few people in a big area, with a little common sense  it should be ok. I think the infection rate is 1 in 20000 at the moment  and virtually zero in the open air so good to go in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

That's the problem...you cant live with virus.

50,000+ deaths says it all.

Wait and see the result of the latest reduction in lockdown on the country as a whole before jumping the gun.

I suppose you warned everyone about the VE street parties as well?  Not even a ripple! 
 

it’s my belief that it’s dying out now and the September return proposal with friendlies in August is a realistic and fair plan.  
 

Those who talk about waiting for a vaccine are free to do so if they wish. But the majority wish to crack on with life should the infection/death rate continue to fall. 

let’s hope those suffering with ‘covidphobia’ don’t prevent the return of football 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hetty said:

I suppose you warned everyone about the VE street parties as well?  Not even a ripple! 
 

it’s my belief that it’s dying out now and the September return proposal with friendlies in August is a realistic and fair plan.  
 

Those who talk about waiting for a vaccine are free to do so if they wish. But the majority wish to crack on with life should the infection/death rate continue to fall. 

let’s hope those suffering with ‘covidphobia’ don’t prevent the return of football 

 

There is more to life than football.  The government is already preparing for a second wave after September. Get this wrong and the country will be back to square one.  

It's unlikely players will be able to use changing rooms like they once did and clubhouses will not be able to operate before the crisis. You just having to look at the southern US states where they have opened up too early and now getting huge spikes again, football clubs are predominately run by members of the older generation do you want to be responsible for them getting ill. These are the people we need to look after to run clubs. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Richard Chown said:

There is more to life than football.  The government is already preparing for a second wave after September. Get this wrong and the country will be back to square one.  

It's unlikely players will be able to use changing rooms like they once did and clubhouses will not be able to operate before the crisis. You just having to look at the southern US states where they have opened up too early and now getting huge spikes again, football clubs are predominately run by members of the older generation do you want to be responsible for them getting ill. These are the people we need to look after to run clubs. 

 

If there preparing for a second wave like. You say. Then why are they looking at easing restrictions 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Richard Chown said:

There is more to life than football.  The government is already preparing for a second wave after September. Get this wrong and the country will be back to square one.  

It's unlikely players will be able to use changing rooms like they once did and clubhouses will not be able to operate before the crisis. You just having to look at the southern US states where they have opened up too early and now getting huge spikes again, football clubs are predominately run by members of the older generation do you want to be responsible for them getting ill. These are the people we need to look after to run clubs. 

 

That is absolute poppycock.  Of course they are preparing, they would be foolish not too.  Doesn’t mean it’s happening though.  Nowhere else in Europe is there any sign of a second wave coming not here either.  
 

I see Phil Hiscox in the falmouth packet today saying changing rooms will be used as normal when they leagues restart which is likely to be September.  As for club houses I see the government advisers have reportedly now given the green light to cut the 2m down to 1m. Hopefully by the turn of the year it will be gone completely and life in clubhouses will be back to normal, brimming with parties and functions. 
 

There is more to life than football, that’s absolutely true, however sooner or later life needs to return and the risk assessment will be down to the individual. Those who don’t feel safe will of course have the option to stay home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hetty said:

I suppose you warned everyone about the VE street parties as well?  Not even a ripple! 
 

it’s my belief that it’s dying out now and the September return proposal with friendlies in August is a realistic and fair plan.  
 

Those who talk about waiting for a vaccine are free to do so if they wish. But the majority wish to crack on with life should the infection/death rate continue to fall. 

let’s hope those suffering with ‘covidphobia’ don’t prevent the return of football 

 

I see common sense doesn't sit well with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sits very well with me.  I’ve observed the rules perfectly. However I recognise that the situation is dramatically improving all the time. The chance of catching the virus is now small and getting smaller all the time.  By the time August / September comes around I don’t see an issue with the football restarting.
 

Every step of the way numbers have continued to fall. Despite all the stay at home scientists saying they would go back up.  Hence my VE Day comment.  You have no idea that the latest Release of lockdown will result in a spike. There is zero evidence to suggest it will.  
 

Providing the numbers keep going the way they are.  There is absolutely no reason football can’t start in August ( friendlies) September league games 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hetty said:

It sits very well with me.  I’ve observed the rules perfectly. However I recognise that the situation is dramatically improving all the time. The chance of catching the virus is now small and getting smaller all the time.  By the time August / September comes around I don’t see an issue with the football restarting.
 

Every step of the way numbers have continued to fall. Despite all the stay at home scientists saying they would go back up.  Hence my VE Day comment.  You have no idea that the latest Release of lockdown will result in a spike. There is zero evidence to suggest it will.  
 

Providing the numbers keep going the way they are.  There is absolutely no reason football can’t start in August ( friendlies) September league games 

And that's exactly what I said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, John Mead said:

I'm sure most players would love to get back to playing but the FA & Government have to assess when it would be safe to do so. The pro clubs make up a very small number of clubs when compared to the rest of the clubs in the UK. That's many thousands of players - with no testing - put at extra risk of catching or spreading the virus. Is that a risk we should consider taking until the known infection rate is much lower than at present?

John, what's your thoughts on all this. We are both in the bracket of 'Risk' ( Dinasoars!)

I for one think people are pushing for grassroots sport to quickly & in return could jeopardise health. We have to remember what standard of football we are involved in down here in Cornwall, as you say with no regular testing etc I can't see how this can be done in an safe environment?

8 hours ago, Charlick4 said:

If there preparing for a second wave like. You say. Then why are they looking at easing restrictions 🤔

Putting Tourism/Economy before health it seems to me .. to weak a government to stand up & say no. Money over lives 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read all the comments above, I can see where people are coming from on both sides of the argument. In my humble opinion, I think that if all due diligence is taken by the clubs to ensure whatever social distancing is the guideline at the time, then local football can recommence. It must be remembered that as for crowds, we are hardly talking thousands of spectators - there have been plenty of comments on here about the demise of the local spectator and surely we can grant people with enough common sense to keep their distances. The same goes for clubhouses and changing rooms. Yes it will be time consuming but having a beer or a cuppa is achievable if people are again sensible and patient. Teams can change in two halves to reduce the numbers in a confined space at one time and team talks etc can be done on-field. Surely people wont mind being inconvenienced just a little - its no different to doing the local shopping run. And as a last resort, if people still feel the risk is too great then remain at home and await the reports on here at tea-time on Saturday.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some good points made above but before we all get too carried away with the idea of a September start we should remember that at this stage this only considered to be the 'most likely' outcome.  There is no guarantee or commitment attached to it.  There are other potential scenarios including holding the leagues over until 2021/22.  All of the restart options have the same caveats i.e.

1. Any re-start will only be when the Dept of Media, Culture & Sport (DCMS) gives approval AND will be subject to any conditions that the DCMS make.

2. Games cannot re-start at Steps 1 to 7 of the NLS without spectators and all Steps are tied together on a restart date.   

3. All clubs have to produce and publish a Risk Assessment (FA guidance will be provided).

For what it's worth, I think we'll be starting towards the end of September but in the end we should only be doing so when it's safe for all participants be it players, spectators or club members, many of whom are in more vulnerable age groups.  And when I say safe I mean as safe as it reasonably and possibly can be because if you want 100% safe you're going to be waiting a very long time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reality is that people need to get back to work to get the economy going ,staying home and leaching off the government is not sustainable long term, if it continues the country will be bankrupt and money will be worthless. No industry no shops no recreation no life. What's the point of being alive  if there's no life to live ? Get back to normal but be cautious act responsibly some will get the virus most people won't, 66million in this country. How many cases were there at the peak? Just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

There is more to life than football.  The government is already preparing for a second wave after September. Get this wrong and the country will be back to square one.  

It's unlikely players will be able to use changing rooms like they once did and clubhouses will not be able to operate before the crisis. You just having to look at the southern US states where they have opened up too early and now getting huge spikes again, football clubs are predominately run by members of the older generation do you want to be responsible for them getting ill. These are the people we need to look after to run clubs. 

 

And the spikes among the southern US states have been disproportionately among 20-30 year olds, rather than the >70 age group of the original peak.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having worked solidly throughout, I remember the dark days around early April when even I was scared to go to work  just horrendous fears and thoughts. 

Theres little doubt, we arent there now, in fact I'd still say we did dodge the bullet compared to some stories I've heard from friends in both SE and around Manchester where the virus did rip through like a speed train. I've known of 3 covid deaths so it was scary times.

However, we have to now be realistic. There isnt a cure, its going to be around for a long time but we need to be honest that this thing can be prevented and managed where appropriate

 Trust me I've spent weeks doing hour after hour on risk assessments and that's what the FA wants clubs to do to get back. So long as they are specific, honest and achievable then I can see a September start being good.

 

Equally, and I mean this in the correct spirit,  people need to do their own risk assessment on if they are comfortable in attending football rather than relying on central government directly telling them. Think about this logically. In the early days of lockdown, you probably decided that you could do without some shopping for a few days rather than go out and shop for the sake of it. Chances are, now youd be happier go for that shopping a bit more sporadically.  That's an individual risk assessment in practice and that is something people will have to do when the season is announced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I would NOT like to happen... restarting games while licensed premises attached to the clubs still have to remain closed. This is something that the DCMS, The FA and the leagues need to bare in mind. This would cripple club finances. 

Obviously, clubs surely won't be forced to play but if the mantra is that we all start together then this would have to have a bearing on when we restart. I understand July 4th is when they MAY reopen but is it fair to ask a 60+ year old volunteer with underlying health conditions to come and man the bar or tea hut when they don't feel comfortable to do so?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, theboyweeso said:

One thing I would NOT like to happen... restarting games while licensed premises attached to the clubs still have to remain closed. This is something that the DCMS, The FA and the leagues need to bare in mind. This would cripple club finances. 

Obviously, clubs surely won't be forced to play but if the mantra is that we all start together then this would have to have a bearing on when we restart. I understand July 4th is when they MAY reopen but is it fair to ask a 60+ year old volunteer with underlying health conditions to come and man the bar or tea hut when they don't feel comfortable to do so?  

The club house remaining closed is the least of MY worries, I never use it in any case. If players are really serious about playing but afraid of changing rooms, could they not come to the ground already changed and likewise afterwards, change back at home? It maybe an inconvenience but only small in comparison to the ongoing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

The club house remaining closed is the least of MY worries, I never use it in any case. If players are really serious about playing but afraid of changing rooms, could they not come to the ground already changed and likewise afterwards, change back at home? It maybe an inconvenience but only small in comparison to the ongoing.

Back to the good old days there Al...change in your car and a bath when you got home maybe around midnight...lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the R Rate in Germany has risen significantly over the weekend, now estimated as 2.8 - and they're amongst the first to ease lock-down. With increased testing, there are still 8 to 10 thousand new cases being confirmed in England each week and track & test is missing 25% of those. The Government is under great pressure to get everyone back to work to help businesses survive and are less & less "following the science". Keeping relatively low number of spectators reasonably safe is not a great problem in Cornwall. My concerns relate to players, coaches, managers and Club volunteers who are far less likely to be able to avoid close contact with many others. Before any re-start, Clubs have to complete a Risk Assessment; if that is done properly & honestly, I believe it will prove to be unsafe!

If Cornwall is "safe", can someone explain how 11 residents in the Liskeard Care Home managed to become infected? The virus is still out there, still circulating in our communities and nobody is immune from catching it and/or passing it on. Stay Safe

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John Mead said:

It seems the R Rate in Germany has risen significantly over the weekend, now estimated as 2.8 - and they're amongst the first to ease lock-down. With increased testing, there are still 8 to 10 thousand new cases being confirmed in England each week and track & test is missing 25% of those. The Government is under great pressure to get everyone back to work to help businesses survive and are less & less "following the science". Keeping relatively low number of spectators reasonably safe is not a great problem in Cornwall. My concerns relate to players, coaches, managers and Club volunteers who are far less likely to be able to avoid close contact with many others. Before any re-start, Clubs have to complete a Risk Assessment; if that is done properly & honestly, I believe it will prove to be unsafe!

If Cornwall is "safe", can someone explain how 11 residents in the Liskeard Care Home managed to become infected? The virus is still out there, still circulating in our communities and nobody is immune from catching it and/or passing it on. Stay Safe

Totally agree John, cannot see how it will be safe to resume semi pro or amateur football for the forseeable future. Don't want to air my political views on this within this thread. bit you are right that the business and economic minds are now winning the argument over those from the scientific and medical backgrounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mead said:

It seems the R Rate in Germany has risen significantly over the weekend, now estimated as 2.8 - and they're amongst the first to ease lock-down. With increased testing, there are still 8 to 10 thousand new cases being confirmed in England each week and track & test is missing 25% of those. The Government is under great pressure to get everyone back to work to help businesses survive and are less & less "following the science". Keeping relatively low number of spectators reasonably safe is not a great problem in Cornwall. My concerns relate to players, coaches, managers and Club volunteers who are far less likely to be able to avoid close contact with many others. Before any re-start, Clubs have to complete a Risk Assessment; if that is done properly & honestly, I believe it will prove to be unsafe!

If Cornwall is "safe", can someone explain how 11 residents in the Liskeard Care Home managed to become infected? The virus is still out there, still circulating in our communities and nobody is immune from catching it and/or passing it on. Stay Safe

Well said john...that IS the reality of where we are at this time...still medium to high risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well said john...that IS the reality of where we are at this time...still medium to high risk.

" Thats it then .no local football until a vaccine is found or the country is bankrupt whichever comes first. Bankruptcy will come first if people are not prepared to go to work a vaccine may never come so local football may never start again. Sooner or later  we have to mix with the virus , if not  what's the point of walking around your garden for the rest of your life?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All good points. Your age, attitude to risk and of course what the restrictions imposed mean in terms of expense for clubs will determine which clubs survive. We may learn more tomorrow when Boris tells us his master plan which has been in existence for months. It all seems to be going along the expected path and the country needs to open up or suffer severe financial harm. I think the older generation will think twice or thrice about rushing back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppit said:

" Thats it then .no local football until a vaccine is found or the country is bankrupt whichever comes first. Bankruptcy will come first if people are not prepared to go to work a vaccine may never come so local football may never start again. Sooner or later  we have to mix with the virus , if not  what's the point of walking around your garden for the rest of your life?

 

Look at the numbers and think about that.

Yes we have to live (or die) with the virus and we are doing that right now and it is only being contained at this time.

Just see the results of the easing before we throw open everything. 

We are lucky we are in Cornwall,  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near large populations at this time.

The summer in Cornwall will really show the danger (or not) of throwing your doors open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppit said:

" Thats it then .no local football until a vaccine is found or the country is bankrupt whichever comes first. Bankruptcy will come first if people are not prepared to go to work a vaccine may never come so local football may never start again. Sooner or later  we have to mix with the virus , if not  what's the point of walking around your garden for the rest of your life?

 

The country is going to have to live around this virus. Firstly abandon the stupid furloughed scheme, this is costing millions daily. Get these people back at work and lets open up. All these people have had a good paid long holiday at the taxpayer expense. School teachers will probably get an even longer one! I have worked thru from the commencement and I am sure many others have as well. Local football is local and there is no reason why the season should not begin. A few simple precautions are needed but the problem will not be a spread among the crowds because there aren’t any!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hetty said:

15 deaths today and infection rate under 1k for the first time since lockdown started. 
 

life will be returning despite those with covidphobia not agreeing to it. 

Monday's figures never accurately reflect the true numbers but I agree there is a downward trend. While numbers in Cornwall have been relatively low throughout the epidemic, for NLS football to restart, it has to be safe to do so across England. I think we shouldn't be looking to start again any earlier than September.

All normal revenue streams need to be fully available for Clubs to survive. Basic running costs are much higher than many people think - excluding any payments to players!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hetty said:

15 deaths today and infection rate under 1k for the first time since lockdown started. 
 

life will be returning despite those with covidphobia not agreeing to it. 

I suppose the difference between us is I value my life...but I also value everybody else's as well. 

I had a friend who has died from it in Cornwall and the affect it has had on his family,  wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Monday's figures never accurately reflect the true numbers but I agree there is a downward trend. While numbers in Cornwall have been relatively low throughout the epidemic, for NLS football to restart, it has to be safe to do so across England. I think we shouldn't be looking to start again any earlier than September.

All normal revenue streams need to be fully available for Clubs to survive. Basic running costs are much higher than many people think - excluding any payments to players!

 

Agree!!! I haven’t yet seen any legitimate reason as to why football can’t start in September yet providing the current downward trend is maintained. 
 

 

37 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I suppose the difference between us is I value my life...but I also value everybody else's as well. 

I had a friend who has died from it in Cornwall and the affect it has had on his family,  wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Agree it’s been a terrible time. However we are on the right path.  By the time September comes around I’m sure/hope that we will be in an even more improved position.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I suppose the difference between us is I value my life...but I also value everybody else's as well. 

I had a friend who has died from it in Cornwall and the affect it has had on his family,  wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Well said Older, the existence or otherwise of a club matters little to those who have died of a terrible disease.
Maybe we older ones and those suffering from Covidphobia, should stand back and let the younger ones in our midst run the clubs, it would be interesting to see how many clubs folded then, far more than those who are financially stretched through not having a game  to supplement their income methinks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hetty said:

Agree!!! I haven’t yet seen any legitimate reason as to why football can’t start in September yet providing the current downward trend is maintained. 
 

 

Agree it’s been a terrible time. However we are on the right path.  By the time September comes around I’m sure/hope that we will be in an even more improved position.  

And I pray we are as well...just a little bit longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that there are two (or possibly more) reasons to be very afraid. Dom-Bor (nothing to do with the well known Cornish bitter) and their ministerial cohorts are lifting lockdown with indecent haste, mainly for financial reasons and pressure from wealthy shareholders. Without waiting for the result of one action before instigating the next; as the scientists and doctors advise.

Here in Cornwall from next month, the Malaga set will be flooding here from the urban coronavirus hotspots bringing their viruses with them and predictions suggest that infections will rocket, particularly because Cornwall has a low infection rate to start with. Then, come September all the children crowd back to school (try getting 30+ Infants/juniors [or even footballers] to social distance!) with relatively few getting ill but many bringing the virus home to parents and grandparents. 

I may be just a little bit pessimistic, being a vulnerable shielder, but I may also be right. I’m pinning my hopes on a vaccine because you can’t trust the arrogant minority (see above) and you certainly can’t trust the Government!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I believe that there are two (or possibly more) reasons to be very afraid. Dom-Bor (nothing to do with the well known Cornish bitter) and their ministerial cohorts are lifting lockdown with indecent haste, mainly for financial reasons and pressure from wealthy shareholders. Without waiting for the result of one action before instigating the next; as the scientists and doctors advise.

Here in Cornwall from next month, the Malaga set will be flooding here from the urban coronavirus hotspots bringing their viruses with them and predictions suggest that infections will rocket, particularly because Cornwall has a low infection rate to start with. Then, come September all the children crowd back to school (try getting 30+ Infants/juniors [or even footballers] to social distance!) with relatively few getting ill but many bringing the virus home to parents and grandparents. 

I may be just a little bit pessimistic, being a vulnerable shielder, but I may also be right. I’m pinning my hopes on a vaccine because you can’t trust the arrogant minority (see above) and you certainly can’t trust the Government!

If,we don't get a vaccine or cure will you shield for the rest of your days? If so l really feel  for you. Good job people didn't have your mindset when polio measles diphtheria hooping cough  and many other conditions were prevalent with no vaccine the world would have come to an end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoppit said:

If,we don't get a vaccine or cure will you shield for the rest of your days? If so l really feel  for you. Good job people didn't have your mindset when polio measles diphtheria hooping cough  and many other conditions were prevalent with no vaccine the world would have come to an end.

Totally agree, all get back to work and lets start living. There is no reason why football in Cornwall should not start. Too many excuses are being invented!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppit said:

If,we don't get a vaccine or cure will you shield for the rest of your days? If so l really feel  for you. Good job people didn't have your mindset when polio measles diphtheria hooping cough  and many other conditions were prevalent with no vaccine the world would have come to an end.

 

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

Totally agree, all get back to work and lets start living. There is no reason why football in Cornwall should not start. Too many excuses are being invented!

See what I mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Had my warning letter today.

Due to an underlying disease/ health condition you are still at extreme risk if you contact covid19...shielding guidance for you must followed vigorously. 

That's where I, and millions of others are too.

Hardly millions!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...