Cornwall Football Forum

arrogance of modern footballers

In this modern age of technology where peoples privacy is no longer secure because of mobile phones , cameras , facebook etc . , the stupidity and arrogance of some young footballers astounds me . A young Wolves player , as an example , is highly rated  by the pundits and is touted as a future England international great . He was in the youth World Cup winning team and has played a few games in the Premiership . In some respects , and here I'm biased , he is lucky that he has a good manager and coach , he has good team mates  and is surrounded by players of huge international experience , like Juan Moutinhou . and a captain who gives masses of encouragement on and off the pitch to young players . Being in the Europa Cup and in the top half of the Premiership  added to all  this ,  is a thing that everyone , young and old on this forum would dream about . But what does he do ?  he broadcasts to his followers about keeping safe etc. then drives off to London  and photo's are published of him at a party , with what passes today as a celebrity , passing the gas balloon around  ( to be fair there is no evidence that he inhaled from the balloon , ) What possess young players to behave like this ? Many Wolves fans have commented that he has shown little improvement in his ability since he progressed through the Wolves ranks and  reached the first team squad  , and that he has antagonised many locals by his arrogant behaviour ., round and about the city .It's a bad thing when fans turn against a local player , . Added to this Nuno the manager appears to be a nice kind humble man  , I think he is on the surface , but you do things his way  or you're on the road , and I think that this player  , that had a promising future could have thrown it all away .

Footballers have always been heroes to many people along with other top sportsmen . But as I've said before in other posts television , mainly SKY and Bt sport have created a monster. The enormous wages paid to Premiership and continental leagues equivalent  has corrupted many young players . Many have lost all sense of reality , they think they've arrived at the top but money has changed their lifestyle and blunted the  effort to achieve  what they could achieve with a bit more application and humility . Their defenders will state that they have a short career and are only young once so they have make the most of it , utter nonsense , if you want to be the best you have make sacrifices in life . How does a sportsman like Roger Federer remain in the top flight at his age ? through hard work and dedication ..One problem is that being famous at a young age makes you vulnerable to hangers on  and if you are weak willed they deflect you . He's not the only one the Chelsea lad has also blotted his copybook this week .Very sad really

• 2 weeks later...

Arrogant modern footballer, Marcus Rashford in lockdown has;

Started a charity that raised £20 million and helped feed 2.8 million children.

Launched a Christmas Box campaign with Selfridges to help Manchester's homeless. 

Learned sign language to judge a poetry competition in a deaf school.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/05/2020 at 12:57, fenman said:

In this modern age of technology where peoples privacy is no longer secure because of mobile phones , cameras , facebook etc . , the stupidity and arrogance of some young footballers astounds me . A young Wolves player , as an example , is highly rated  by the pundits and is touted as a future England international great . He was in the youth World Cup winning team and has played a few games in the Premiership . In some respects , and here I'm biased , he is lucky that he has a good manager and coach , he has good team mates  and is surrounded by players of huge international experience , like Juan Moutinhou . and a captain who gives masses of encouragement on and off the pitch to young players . Being in the Europa Cup and in the top half of the Premiership  added to all  this ,  is a thing that everyone , young and old on this forum would dream about . But what does he do ?  he broadcasts to his followers about keeping safe etc. then drives off to London  and photo's are published of him at a party , with what passes today as a celebrity , passing the gas balloon around  ( to be fair there is no evidence that he inhaled from the balloon , ) What possess young players to behave like this ? Many Wolves fans have commented that he has shown little improvement in his ability since he progressed through the Wolves ranks and  reached the first team squad  , and that he has antagonised many locals by his arrogant behaviour ., round and about the city .It's a bad thing when fans turn against a local player , . Added to this Nuno the manager appears to be a nice kind humble man  , I think he is on the surface , but you do things his way  or you're on the road , and I think that this player  , that had a promising future could have thrown it all away .

This seems a very common theme within our society at the moment, the "bad/naughty" 10% tarnish the efforts and of other 90%

On 04/06/2020 at 18:53, Way Of The Park said:

Arrogant modern footballer, Marcus Rashford in lockdown has;

Started a charity that raised £20 million and helped feed 2.8 million children.

Launched a Christmas Box campaign with Selfridges to help Manchester's homeless. 

Learned sign language to judge a poetry competition in a deaf school.

This is a key example of the good vs bad in football

JW