Cornwall Football Forum

Easter Monday is Senior Cup Final day!

Easter Monday is Cornwall Senior Cup day, but alas not this year!

As the FA Vase is my favourite national non-league cup competition, the Senior Cup is just as special when it comes to “domestic” ones.

‪First memory of it for me goes back to 1965-66 season when they used to have a 3rd & 4th place game before the main final.‬

‪I was there with my mum and dad to cheer on my home town Liskeard Athletic beat Helston Athletic  3-1 at St Austell’s Poltair with Peter Baker, Brian Hodge and Mike Cusack getting the goals.‬

This was Liskeard’s last season in the Plymouth & District League before joining the South Western League for 1966-67.

Opponents Helston were already well established in the SWL and this season finished 5th out of 15.

They had the ex-Arsenal and Cardiff City Mike Tiddy playing for them. Mike, who played over 300 Football League games, was actually born on the Lizard Peninsula and returned to the area on retiring from the pro game. I still remember him now for his grey/white streak through his hair!

Happy memories.

The finals day was always a real highlight of the season, loved the Junior Cup beforehand when the crowd always seemed to be bigger and noisier. Was usually village teams in the final, and felt like their whole population had turned up in support.

Have great memories of watching Liskeard in the final, beating Millbrook at Bodmin, I think, in 1984 to break the winning drought, the battle of Mount Wise against Saltash in 1989 and beating a strong Bodmin side at St Austell for Jimmy Hargreave's sole trophy as Blues Boss were particular highlights. In general though, used to have the feeling that the Cornish South Western League clubs were really out to stick it to Liskeard and Saltash (and before that, Falmouth) of the Western League. This really contributed to some cracking,old fashioned cup ties.

My first memory of this competition was going down to Central Square, Newquay to see the victorious team bring home the cup. That was in 1957 and I was 4. I didn’t see the 1992 victory but I did see one of the losses in the 80s, after a replay. Both games at St Blazey if I remember correctly. 
Still waiting in hope.