Cornwall Football Forum

I believe it was a reaction to Falmouth stating that they WOULD be joining the SWL, rather than stating they would be APPLYING to join! So yes, could be regarded as a spiteful act.

I can't remember if there was a vacancy at that time or if the decision not to admit Falmouth saved a Club from dropping down.

There were 20 clubs in the SWL in season 1982/83  with Truro City at the bottom.

So if Falmouth applied to the voting  (SWL)clubs for 1983/84 I dont think they would have been accepted -this was in the days before the Pyramid structure where the "old pals act" was prevalent.--Remember Wigan Athletic were rejected season after season to the Football League-it took them 28 seasons (applying) before being accepted in place of Southport in 1978.

The following  SWL 1984/85  season there were vacancies when Torrington left for the Western League and Plymouth Command also departed  which saw Falmouth being welcomed back.

Hi Mike

hope you’re keeping well in these worrying times mate! Had a message off Mark Hope who’s living in Spain now. He was asking if I could get hold of his stats for his time in Cornish football!? Said I would speak to you about his days at Falmouth but would be struggling to get his Port or Penzance details I would imagine? Thanks Mike, would be appreciated, still mates with Hopey and all the lads and we often have a meet up once or twice a year. Tried to send you this in a PM but couldn’t mate! 

All the best Mike,

Rappo x

Great to hear from you Rappo in these strange times-unfortunately I am housebound until June being a High risk (70+ and COPD)--keep safe to you and family.

Mark Hope joined Falmouth at the start of 1990/91 season but  from where? -checking with Tony P', he has Stockport area in his notes and I believe he left for Porthleven (1994) in which time he made a football League appearance for Darlington ?

1990/91 Appearances  27.-- Debut for FT at Penlee Park 25th.August 90  (Won 7-2 v Penzance)

1991/92 Appearances  44--Debut goal at Priory Park,  6th.May 92 (Lost 1-2)

1992/93 Appearances 33--Debut goal at Bickland Park 14th.November 92 (v Newquay Drew 3-3)

1993/94 Appearances 13  (having rejoined from Stafford Rangers March 94)

Falmouth Town record 1990-94  Appearances  117  Goals 2

I was very friendly with his dad Brian on match days although I seem to think he was a Londoner-hope he is still with us as last meeting with Brian was at Treliske

payslips 1181.jpg

Thanks Mike!

Sent the stats to Hopey in Spain and he was delighted mate 👍️  Think we all appreciate being in that Town team around that time, wouldn’t have swapped playing with those lads in front of great supporters like we were lucky enough to do back then. 
Really appreciated Mike and look after yourself mate, see you at a game hopefully when all this madness is over!  

All the best mate x