Cornwall Football Forum

gloomy thought

fenman

This is not my belief but a gloomy thought . Could it be that with the season written off that the future of grassroots football will be affected more than we think . What I mean is , with this long lay off there is a strong possibility that there will be many young players who lose interest in the game and find other things to do (?)  and don't return to playing next season . 

17 minutes ago, fenman said:

This is not my belief but a gloomy thought . Could it be that with the season written off that the future of grassroots football will be affected more than we think . What I mean is , with this long lay off there is a strong possibility that there will be many young players who lose interest in the game and find other things to do (?)  and don't return to playing next season . 

That is a real possibility, it would be an acceleration of what has been happening over the past few years anyway. Of more immediate concern is the likelihood that some clubs could go under. If the economy takes anything like the hit that is being forecast, then sponsorship will be even more difficult to get hold and the amount of spare cash that could be spent in the clubhouse or on various lotteries and raffles will take a hit.

I think your phrase " If a lad has a true love of the game " sums it up Keith . I think , from my experience of running a club , that many young lads have a different mind set to you , Rappo , Older  and several others on here . To us , as I've said many times , the days between Saturday  at 5.0'clock and Saturday at 2.30 were an utter waste of time  to be filled in by trivial things like work , eating and sleeping . But things are different. now . People , generally speaking , have different priorities  and sense of loyalty and I wonder if this enforced break will divert them away .In my final season running a team , before I grew up and realised that I was giving up my precious time ( at my age time is precious )  trying to put back what I'd taken out of football over 55 years , we were at the top of division one and in a cup semi final  . On the day of the semi the captain and his mate called off because their girlfriends wanted to see the baby seals on the beach 3 miles away . Bear in mind that most league rules state that players in semi's or finals must have played at least 6 games for that team and you can see how I felt , trying to get a legal team out . Would you , Rappo  or many others called off   ? Cursing and swearing at the time , I thought of the shifts I'd had to juggle  in order to play even at the age of 50  . On some occasions I'd juggled split shifts with people when I worked Royalty Protection and travelled 60 miles across the county , played the game then went back to finish the shift . I did it because I loved playing , as I'm sure you did . Being in the same profession you must have done the same Keith , but people are different now .

Excuse for being on here is semi self isolation and getting out of the ironing , I've done the washing and I scrubbed the conservatory floors and window sills yesterday , a job I've been meaning to do for a year or two .The Mem Sahib is happy now , she can sit in a clean conservatory listening to Roy Orbison , Elvis , Billy Fury etc. on her stereo and wonder when we'll get back down to St. Mawgan .

My apologies to you all if you think I'm name dropping  but the story might amuse you . . I played football at a low level until I was 54  , on my own admission I wasn't very good but I was a trier . When I was about 53 'ish I was working at Sandringham on the Christmas visit when I bumped into the Queen , she would probably say that she bumped into me . However ,  the conversation was about a terrific hailstorm the previous afternoon , a Saturday . She said that the shoot had to be abandoned  because the hail was so bad . She asked how we coped with it , I explained that I had been playing football  and the game had to be abandoned and some  players in other games suffered Hyperthermia and had to go to hospital . She took all this in and said " don't you think that you're a bit old to be playing soccer ? "  My reply amused her and was a story at her dinner table that night . I said " probably ma'am but I have a big advantage over the other players " she said " what's that ?" I replied " I pick the team "  " Yes I suppose that helps quite a bit " . One of the flunkeys as we called them asked me if it was me she was laughing about at dinner that evening . My team  ,Happisburgh are probably the only village football team discussed in royal circles .

A lot of clubs will fold, mainly due to lack of sponsorship, and shortage of players. And that’s just not Cornwall, but Nationwide. 
Adult football has taken a massive hit over the last couple of years with clubs folding. What’s happening now could be the final nail. 2 years ago around 5,000 teams had finished. 
This may take a couple of years to recover in football circles. Players/managers may not be working at the moment but when this is over they will want to get back to work and start earning money, like everyone else. Working and earning money will be a priority I’m afraid. 
5 a side leagues will be the ones to benefit