Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Massive88 said:

Duchy League still on, what’s the difference with the east Cornwall league? Surely if both teams were happy to play then let them get on with it. 

It is down to individual leagues to decide whether to continue. Just like SWPL, East Cornwall Premier League made the decision. 

Quite right,Hedge. Just supposing a game was played tomorrow and a day later someone at that game contacted the virus-WHO WOULD BE DEEMED

RESPONSIBLE ?.Sadly CCFA did NOT issue a directive and left Leagues with an impossible decision.Much as I would have liked to see a game tomorrow,

I feel deep down the correct decision was made.No doubt with the chronic fixture pile-up this was the very last thing that was needed-but common sense

has prevailed.

As the great bill shankly once said, football isn’t a matter or life and death... it’s much much more than that. 
surely common sense needs to prevail here and fixtures should carry on as normal as of next week. It’s not as if there are going to be mass crowds gathering to watch local football so the risk of actually contracting anything is minor. Just wash your hands and be aware of the situation. Seems to be a major overreaction to me, I can understand it being cancelled at the top level where there are tens of thousands gathering and the risk is a lot higher, but no way it should be affecting local games, pirans fixtures played this weekend aswell as others. Madness.

I'm struggling to understand the logic behind the weekend's decisions to postpone. There was a great deal of inconsistency across non-league and grassroots football.

• FA Guidance was that non-league and grassroots to continue.
  • National League - played.
  • Western League - postponed.
  • SWPL - postponed.
  • St Piran - clubs given option, majority played.
  • Combo - postponed.
  • ECPL - postponed.
  • Junior Leagues - some played, some postponed.

I really don't see the point in a 10-day postponement. We all know the virus spread will get worse, before it gets better, so the decision should have been either a postponement to match the pro leagues (i.e. to 3 April), or to continue until further advice can be sought. I'm not an expert, but I don't see what a postponement of an ECPL fixture, with 20 spectators, can do to help control the spread of the virus. I bet we still all went to the supermarket, went shopping in the City Centre, filled are cars with fuel and possibly went to the pub... where there is much more risk of spreading the virus that watching local football.

That said, with the situation likely to get worse, I really don't see any of the leagues that have postponed being in a position to recommence any time soon. How can they? They have postponed based on the current situation - which is going to escalate!! It will be very difficult for them to go back on that now.

1 hour ago, Shouter said:

I'm struggling to understand the logic behind the weekend's decisions to postpone. There was a great deal of inconsistency across non-league and grassroots football.

• SWPL - postponed.
  • Combo - postponed.
  • ECPL - postponed.

I really don't see the point in a 10-day postponement. We all know the virus spread will get worse, before it gets better, so the decision should have been either a postponement to match the pro leagues (i.e. to 3 April), or to continue until further advice can be sought. I'm not an expert, but I don't see what a postponement of an ECPL fixture, with 20 spectators, can do to help control the spread of the virus. I bet we still all went to the supermarket, went shopping in the City Centre, filled are cars with fuel and possibly went to the pub... where there is much more risk of spreading the virus that watching local football.

That said, with the situation likely to get worse, I really don't see any of the leagues that have postponed being in a position to recommence any time soon. How can they? They have postponed based on the current situation - which is going to escalate!! It will be very difficult for them to go back on that now.

Surely CCFA should issue a Directive once and for all to end all uncertainty.Even if they left it to the Clubs to decide it might just be possible to get some

Leagues completed albeit without playing a full programme.Shouter,would you be happy to carry on playing ?-I feel certain the majority WOULD.

It would be an interesting exercise if Dave D. could organise a POLL on the forum to get an idea of grassroot opinion.For what it's worth, my view

would to let the Clubs decide if they wish to continue or not-unless,of course, CCFA make the decision

44 minutes ago, Adlestrop said:

Surely CCFA should issue a Directive once and for all to end all uncertainty.Even if they left it to the Clubs to decide it might just be possible to get some

Leagues completed albeit without playing a full programme.Shouter,would you be happy to carry on playing ?-I feel certain the majority WOULD.

It would be an interesting exercise if Dave D. could organise a POLL on the forum to get an idea of grassroot opinion.For what it's worth, my view

would to let the Clubs decide if they wish to continue or not-unless,of course, CCFA make the decision

Would I be happy to continue? Yes. We would have been happy to play on Saturday. Certainly, I'd be happy to continue until the experts and government confirm otherwise.

I don't think letting the clubs decide is the best way forward. Some play, some don't. Either way, you end up with an incomplete season. It needs to be all or nothing... and that decision and guidance needs to come from CCFA.

The situation is unprecedented and none of us here are experts. We can only go by what we are being told by the government. Currently, the advice is that we can continue. However my point is, having already made the decision to suspend, it will now be very difficult for any of those leagues to justify a recommencement.

3 hours ago, Shouter said:

• SWPL - postponed.
  • Combo - postponed.
  • ECPL - postponed.

Couldn’t have said it better myself, considering the likes of the national league etc played ok Saturday I think the decision to postpone anything below that level is ludicrous. 
I Understand the point ‘Theolderiget’ makes about it only taking one person, but if everyone going to attend/participate in local football fixtures is vigilant and aware of the situation and adheres to advice about hygiene by doing things such as washing your hands etc. Then I don’t see any reason to postpone fixtures until the government advises otherwise.

Just listened to BBC broadcast on TV by the Prime minister. And latest scientific advice is to avoid pubs clubs restaurants and social activities large or small. 

So is that the end of the footy season?

On 06/03/2020 at 10:39, Paul Collings said:

On 06/03/2020 at 10:39, Paul Collings said: