Jump to content
Stay At Home -Protect The NHS - Save Lives
Hetty

Will the Season Finish

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Maybe, who knows,  a guessing game at this time.

Cancel all cups and just complete the league fixtures possibly. 

Surely under the circumstances the season could be extended into May or June, not rocket science, common sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Maybe, who knows,  a guessing game at this time.

Cancel all cups and just complete the league fixtures possibly. 

With the current back log due to weather conditions and the games already postponed due to the virus I personally think the only solution at this point is to void the season. It seems impossible that all fixtures can be fulfilled by may? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, golong said:

With the current back log due to weather conditions and the games already postponed due to the virus I personally think the only solution at this point is to void the season. It seems impossible that all fixtures can be fulfilled by may? 

Apparently the virus doesn't peak until end of May  so I can't see any games being played until end of June if at all. Rarely we have to accept that there are far more serious things in the world than a football league not being completed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And from you Al...common sense, and I agree...dont see why not. 

Would be great to watch in sunny and warm conditions and increase attendances. No doubt Cornwall fa would find some reason to object though !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, golong said:

With the current back log due to weather conditions and the games already postponed due to the virus I personally think the only solution at this point is to void the season. It seems impossible that all fixtures can be fulfilled by may? 

My solution would be, don’t start next season until this one has been completed, whenever that may be. If we have to push next season back & go into it not having any cup competitions, so be it. Surly we cannot just dismiss 29/30 games already played, dismiss next season if we have too. !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most clubs rely on income from staging home games. If the season is cancelled I can see a number of clubs going under and being wiped off the face of the earth.  Local football is facing it’s biggest test since the Second World War in my opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it stands, theres 1 clear vacancy and thats in the Football League with the demise of Bury FC.  The Conference Leaders currently should go up and that's Barrow.

Below, and the leagues are all in a mess from Step 2 downwards. Now, as much I'd love to go PPG to decide, that doesn't take into account anything going forward.

So do we wait and it could(?!)  could be months before we get the go ahead to start playing. We could be in a position, that teams couldn't take that promotion without those league games left as financially, clubs are going to be badly hit (possible closure of clubhouses etc). 

Theres merit in finishing this season off but god forbid we have another monsoon from September next year. 

It's a total mess and sadly one which is going to get worse before better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hetty said:

Most clubs rely on income from staging home games. If the season is cancelled I can see a number of clubs going under and being wiped off the face of the earth.  Local football is facing it’s biggest test since the Second World War in my opinion.  

Correct, home games are vital. Bar takings, tea, coffee plus any food sales etc,. - plus gate takings. Without this income, as you say, many clubs will fold. Annual registration fees for club and players, insurance policies - it all costs a lot of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Would be great to watch in sunny and warm conditions and increase attendances. No doubt Cornwall fa would find some reason to object though !

Now who's being a snowflake? !!! 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kevin richards said:

My solution would be, don’t start next season until this one has been completed, whenever that may be. If we have to push next season back & go into it not having any cup competitions, so be it. Surly we cannot just dismiss 29/30 games already played, dismiss next season if we have too. !

Kevin, with you being a Porthleven man, with how well Helston are going I'm surprised you have suggested this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Now who's being a snowflake? !!! 🤣

Yes but i am a sensible one !

25 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Now who's being a snowflake? !!! 🤣

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With so many clubs apparantly likely to be in financial difficulty if matches continue to be postponed, perhaps it would be appropiate if the loyal players in their midst were asked to agree not to receive their match fees when the season does restart to save their club from financial ruin.
Well done to those who still believe in the old adage, " put a little aside for a rainy day'' ( no pun intended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Surely under the circumstances the season could be extended into May or June, not rocket science, common sense.

Yep, as long as matches are not played on Saturdays in May and June . I do like cricket and a lot of guys play football and cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it would be unfair to cancel the rest of the season when the majority has been played. I agree with Kev, complete this season whenever that may be possible and then start next season by playing perhaps half the number of league games or postpone the cups for the season. Maybe every club could play every team just once with half being at home and the other away and that decision could be made by drawing them out of a hat??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, le boss said:

 Maybe every club could play every team just once with half being at home and the other away and that decision could be made by drawing them out of a hat??? 

If they are drawn out of a hat, you could end up be away every game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bottom line is that the F.A. is the only body that can end the confusion that exists at present at all levels from the premiership down.
They could allow the season to be extended, they could call a halt to the season as it stands, they could cancell promotion / relegation which in turn would negate their favorite excuse of " we need the season finished to be able to decide on promotion relegation issues '' they could encourage  the wealthy clubs to set up some form of funding instead of paying 100s of millions for players, and secure the survival of many community clubs, there is so much they COULD do other than sit in their ivory Tower and do nothing worthwhile.
Perhaps they should be reminded that football exists beyond the confines of the Premiership and the E.F.L. and that thousands of people throughout the country are involved in the game week in week out, and are looking for some kind of positive leadership from their governing body.
Theres been little in the way of help forthcoming so far, so we won't be holding our breath !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Government advising that the virus peak (not end) is projected to be in the next 12-14 weeks, which takes us up to the end of June. There is no way season 2019/20 will be completed at any level of European football, we need to accept this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, We Two said:

NOTHING can be done unless sanctioned by the F.A. they are the ones we are all waiting on😡

 

We will be waiting a long time then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be grossly unfair to suspend promotion and relegation as those in possible promotion spots may have spent considerable sums of money to be where they are at present. Also forward planning for the promotion step involves getting your facilities up to the next level which in anticipation of promotion would have started by now I would think.

Prime example locally would be Helston, reportedly spending £75k to push their club on. Totally unfair to deny them their opportunity. 

If the season was to be suspended then surely the positions clubs are in at the point of suspension stands, that is the fairest way I would think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything that is suggested by those of us who desperately want to see a fair conclusion to the season, is of no consequence unless ratified by the F.A.
Regarding financial investment by a club in the hope of achieving promotion, that is a risk that has no guarantee that promotion will be won, so that club was no doubt aware of that possiblity when spending that money.
We are not involved in the admin of football but understand that there is a time allowed for clubs to bring their clubs facilities up to the standard required after being accepted for promotion, which if correct means good practice would be, spend your money when you have the goods.
You can't put a price on the safety of peoples lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

It would be grossly unfair to suspend promotion and relegation as those in possible promotion spots may have spent considerable sums of money to be where they are at present. Also forward planning for the promotion step involves getting your facilities up to the next level which in anticipation of promotion would have started by now I would think.

Prime example locally would be Helston, reportedly spending £75k to push their club on. Totally unfair to deny them their opportunity. 

If the season was to be suspended then surely the positions clubs are in at the point of suspension stands, that is the fairest way I would think. 

Totally get what you're saying Older, but nobodies health (or even life) is worth the risk. Especially as many people who follow and volunteer in local football are senior citizens.

I want a full compliment of moaning oldies back on this site when this has passed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Totally get what you're saying Older, but nobodies health (or even life) is worth the risk. Especially as many people who follow and volunteer in local football are senior citizens.

I want a full compliment of moaning oldies back on this site when this has passed. 

Nope WOTP, if the season was stopped/cancelled is what I was referring too. 

And this moaning old git is hoping to be around for a while yet...fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Click / Google

  We're no Liverpool fans, but read this mans concept of how we should be thinking. he has earned our utmost respect for his concern for others and offers a lesson for all of us .   WELL SAID JURGEN KLOPP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, We Two said:

Everything that is suggested by those of us who desperately want to see a fair conclusion to the season, is of no consequence unless ratified by the F.A.
Regarding financial investment by a club in the hope of achieving promotion, that is a risk that has no guarantee that promotion will be won, so that club was no doubt aware of that possiblity when spending that money.
We are not involved in the admin of football but understand that there is a time allowed for clubs to bring their clubs facilities up to the standard required after being accepted for promotion, which if correct means good practice would be, spend your money when you have the goods.
You can't put a price on the safety of peoples lives.

No you  two  you have to have the facilities in place before the season ends!

Bonkers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of playing  matches how about having penalty shootouts  over a couple of weekends 6 penalties each 3 pts for a win 1 for a draw  not ideal but at least it would give some sort of conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppit said:

Instead of playing  matches how about having penalty shootouts  over a couple of weekends 6 penalties each 3 pts for a win 1 for a draw  not ideal but at least it would give some sort of conclusion.

Just as well play a match in that case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppit said:

Instead of playing  matches how about having penalty shootouts  over a couple of weekends 6 penalties each 3 pts for a win 1 for a draw  not ideal but at least it would give some sort of conclusion.

Without the goalkeepers though presumably so that it doesn’t become a “social gathering”!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the will we won't we issue seems to have been settled at last according to Steve Carpenters post the F.A. has suspended grass roots football for the forseeable future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2020 at 20:26, We Two said:

With so many clubs apparantly likely to be in financial difficulty if matches continue to be postponed, perhaps it would be appropiate if the loyal players in their midst were asked to agree not to receive their match fees when the season does restart to save their club from financial ruin.
Well done to those who still believe in the old adage, " put a little aside for a rainy day'' ( no pun intended)

Blimey !! Half of them are only there for the Cash !! They won’t turn up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Blimey !! Half of them are only there for the Cash !! They won’t turn up

As we are often reminded ,they are expenses not match fees or wages. It shouldn't be a problem for players who haven't incurred any travelling costs, or had to take unpaid time off work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hoppit said:

Instead of playing  matches how about having penalty shootouts  over a couple of weekends 6 penalties each 3 pts for a win 1 for a draw  not ideal but at least it would give some sort of conclusion.

Or you could decide it by playing subuteo! Older could prepare the pitches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

Or you could decide it by playing subuteo! Older could prepare the pitches!

You say that...but.

We once put a FIFA tournament on in the clubhouse,  those Xbox things, it was the biggest crowd we had all season!

I couldn't believe the interest shown in it, cheering  whooping, living the dream they were, the players who turned up for it was amazing, Ronaldo, Beckham, Shearer they were all there!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You say that...but.

We once put a FIFA tournament on in the clubhouse,  those Xbox things, it was the biggest crowd we had all season!

I couldn't believe the interest shown in it, cheering  whooping, living the dream they were, the players who turned up for it was amazing, Ronaldo, Beckham, Shearer they were all there!

 

And then you woke up ! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Corna virus is a serious issue that thankfully ( for us old timers at least ) has been dealt with sensibly as far as sport is concerned under the prevailing circumstances.
What it has also exposed is the hand to mouth existence of many of our clubs who now find themselves in financial difficulty having no back up funds to help them through the difficult time ahead.
If we accept that players shoud be paid to perform what should at best be their hobby, can we also educate them to see that their hobby will no longer exist if they don't make some concessions with regard to their expences.
Football at local level was intended as a sport for those disposed to playing the game, and as entertainment for those watching, not as a means to paying the mortgage.
Unfortunately if clubs are prepared to pay players more than they can reasonably afford at the expence of general upkeep and putting aside a few quid for the unexpected, whatever that may be, then they are guilty of signing their own death warrant.
As little as £10 per head would fund most travel expences until clubs were able to get back on a reasonable financial footing again.
£10 pounds worth of fuel will get you to most places in the county, and as many lads travel together the total income for a group of four would equate to £40 worth of fuel.
If we are being asked to believe that money paid to players is for expences not wages, can anyone give a breakdown please of how a figure of say £50 would be arrived at bearing in mind that food is usually supplied home and away, and apart from the occasional pair of boots what other weekly expence is incurred playing the game you are supposed to love.
It's to be hoped that when they eventually cease being able to play, they don't take up bowls or golf, the financial shock may be too much for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2020 at 10:26, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No you  two  you have to have the facilities in place before the season ends!

Bonkers 

Further to that comment, which club really wants to take the risk that should any player suffer a serious injury, that emergency services will not attend to them?

Ambulances struggle to get out of Treliske as it is, so imagine trying to move someone with a broken leg and keep their oxygen levels whilst trying to put them in a car boot and try a hap hazard drive to Truro which would likely be absolutely meltdown.


No club would take that risk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 08:48, We Two said:

Everything that is suggested by those of us who desperately want to see a fair conclusion to the season, is of no consequence unless ratified by the F.A.
Regarding financial investment by a club in the hope of achieving promotion, that is a risk that has no guarantee that promotion will be won, so that club was no doubt aware of that possiblity when spending that money.
We are not involved in the admin of football but understand that there is a time allowed for clubs to bring their clubs facilities up to the standard required after being accepted for promotion, which if correct means good practice would be, spend your money when you have the goods.
You can't put a price on the safety of peoples lives.

Seems like you are missing the point - nobody is saying that spending money gives you automatic success - it is a gamble for each and every club and how and on who it is spent is all part of the "skill" needed to be successful. Some clubs will spend unwisely and not be successful but for those who have it is unfair to deny their ambitions through circumstances outside of football. Helston, rightly or wrongly, and Saltash and Mousehole have stated from the offset that they wanted to gain promotion and have been successful to a certain extent by matters that have taken place on the field, so why should that now be stopped by things beyond their control and could not have been envisaged. Yes, life issues are more important but I would hazard a guess that if all the clubs were canvassed, that most would say either finish the league whenever appropriate or accept the standings as they are because the top two are pretty much nailed on anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you are missing our point Le Boss which in essence was that if clubs are spending money that could cripple them financially and gamble the future of their club if they DON'T get promotion, they should think again before going down that road.
We have no issue at all with accepting whatever outcome the F.A. decide on, be it to extend the season in to August or finishing it as it stands.
The earlier suggestion on this thread was that Helston had spent £75,000 on trying to get promotion and it was unfair to deny them that opportunity.
We felt that that was a risk that they were aware of when the season started as promotion is never guaranteed and money spent should not be a consideration if the season is terminated forthwith.
As it stands Helston are top on merit and although as we are all aware things have a habit of doing the unexpected, they would get our best wishes in the higher league if they were awarded the championship by default.
They appear to be financially secure and would probably be one of the few cornish clubs who could afford promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, We Two said:

Maybe you are missing our point Le Boss which in essence was that if clubs are spending money that could cripple them financially and gamble the future of their club if they DON'T get promotion, they should think again before going down that road.
We have no issue at all with accepting whatever outcome the F.A. decide on, be it to extend the season in to August or finishing it as it stands.
The earlier suggestion on this thread was that Helston had spent £75,000 on trying to get promotion and it was unfair to deny them that opportunity.
We felt that that was a risk that they were aware of when the season started as promotion is never guaranteed and money spent should not be a consideration if the season is terminated forthwith.
As it stands Helston are top on merit and although as we are all aware things have a habit of doing the unexpected, they would get our best wishes in the higher league if they were awarded the championship by default.
They appear to be financially secure and would probably be one of the few cornish clubs who could afford promotion.

And the figure suggested is all subjecture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...