Cornwall Football Forum

Penzance Reserved v Frogpool Reserves

3 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Following the calling off of this match by the home team manager,  can anyone from the Trelawney League or CCFA clarify what is happening regarding this hearing ? 

Frogpool appealed to the League. The league heard the appeal and subsequently rejected it after hearing the case.

That gave Frogpool the ability to then appeal the decision of the Trelawny League to the Sanctioning Authority (Cornwall FA).  I have seen nothing official but I believe that they have exercised their right to appeal to County? I'm sure someone can confirm/deny this. 

I wasn't on the panel and I've stayed out of it all so have no idea what was said at the hearing. If Frogpool have appealed to the County, the appeal should have been heard and settled by the 28th March (the date this fixture is scheduled to be played).

1 hour ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Dave, do Trelawney operate under the FA Standard League Rules ?

We operate under the Standard Code of Rules, County Rules and League Rules. Our rules are devised from SCOR and amended each year where necessary.

There are a number of rulesets for sanctioned football, it all depends on the level (standardised rules for example). 

That's as far as my knowledge goes I'm afraid.

40 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate that it is difficult for a league officer to comment on a sub judice matter. What is the protocol in the Trelawney for the appointment of panels such as the one that you weren't on ?

To be honest Isaac, members of the League etc can request meeting minutes so there's nothing that I'm saying to you now that you couldn't find out yourself. There's also nothing stopping Frogpool commenting on this thread - it's not a secret, no league business should be kept a secret  I'd obviously not comment on anything that's ongoing however, the league has dealt with this matter and it's now a County one - if that's what Frogpool have chosen to do.

With regards to the panel, I actually don't know what the protocol is. I think it depends on what has happened, however I believe the responsibility for selecting a panel is left to the Chairman. To be honest, this was only the second appeal for the league in the time I've been in tenure - they aren't all that common.

Thank you, Dave, for this admirable transparency. I appreciate your kindness in clarifying the situation. Presumably the Chair of the League, then, would have convened a panel with no prior knowledge of the issue  and all of whom were officers of the League Management Committee, in accord with your Rules ? Any panel members with a past or present connection to either Club would have declared this and withdrawn: and their doing so would have been minuted ? Presumably the decision has been minuted too, with appropriate reasons given, so it will now be a matter of public record who the officers on the panel were ? If you as Secretary were not involved in the panel, who would have taken those minutes ? Thank you for your continuing consideration in answering those questions. Such transparency ensures the continuing reputation for probity of the whole competition, which I am sure all competitor clubs would be eager to preserve, especially those with leading alumni embedded in the CCFA hierarchy. I can imagine that the last thing they would wish to be facing is a further appeal to the national FA, conducted by legal representatives, so I am sure all concerned will hope to see an equitable resolution of this troubling issue soon.

I know for a fact that the members of the panel had no prior knowledge of the events. Obviously, they were made aware of the appeal when it was requested by Frogpool as is normal protocol. All of the panel involved were indeed Committee members and neither had any alliances with Frogpool or Penzance (I think I know who you may be getting at here ;) ).

I'm also not the Trelawny League Secretary, that responsibility lies with David James following Rob Noventa's resignation a number of months ago. I deal with registrations, Results and website/social media. I also have a dealing with Welfare/Safeguarding as the only Committee Member with the appropriate qualifications/training, however this is not a recognised role. As the Secretary of the League is also the Fixtures Secretary, he (for obvious reasons) was not on the panel, the minutes were taken by the Treasurer in his role as Minutes Secretary.  What I can definitely say is that the process followed by the league was as per ruling and was correct.

I've not seen the minutes as like I said previously, this isn't my department. However, they were certainly taken. It's something I've had very little involvement in except to provide player information (as is my role).

Thank you, Dave, for your continuing help. In the absence of the Secretary/Fixtures Secretary and the Treasurer (who was taking minutes) from the League Appeals Panel, which under Standard Rules would normally involve three officers, from which other officer positions, given that you already have responsibility for Welfare and Safeguarding, would it be possible, under your Rules, for the Chair to convene the panel ? In the transparent and helpful spirit in which you have kindly approached thus matter, which officers then fulfilled such roles ? I am not aware of getting at anybody and I apologise profusely if something I wrote gave you such an impression. I had presumed that none of your officers had any direct history with Penzance or Frogpool. Was I incorrect in that i?supposition ?

59 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Thank you, Dave, for your continuing help. In the absence of the Secretary/Fixtures Secretary and the Treasurer (who was taking minutes) from the League Appeals Panel, which under Standard Rules would normally involve three officers, from which other officer positions, given that you already have responsibility for Welfare and Safeguarding, would it be possible, under your Rules, for the Chair to convene the panel ? In the transparent and helpful spirit in which you have kindly approached thus matter, which officers then fulfilled such roles ? I am not aware of getting at anybody and I apologise profusely if something I wrote gave you such an impression. I had presumed that none of your officers had any direct history with Penzance or Frogpool. Was I incorrect in that i?supposition ?

I thought you were on about a certain Mr Mead, who you've had a few conversations with on this forum previously - He used to be on the Trelawny League Committee. It's worth noting that a League Officer who does have an involvement with a Club can actually be involved in the hearing (A Member of the Management Committee who is a member of any Club involved shall not be present (except as a witness or representative of his Club) when such protest or complaint is being determined).

If I may [and] for the purpose of accuracy, I shouldn't be using the word "appeal".  This was not an appeal (an appeal is at County level).  This is in fact classed a protest/complaint (apologies for using the word "appeal", force of habit) and there was a subsequent hearing. The rules of which can be found under League Rule 6 & 7. As I've stated before, I don't know much about what happened (and what was said on the night) except for the outcome.  I can't really say much more on the matter as I'm out of the loop - I had my knuckles wrapped previously for getting too involved in other League departments - I try and keep away from anything that doesn't directly concern me these days. Not worth the hassle.

Thank you, Dave. I am sure your circumspection is very wise. I am surprised that the likes of Mr Mead or Mr James would "rap the knuckles" of someone who is clearly as active in the interests of the League as you are showing yourself to be. How surprising that your fellow officers would "keep you out of the loop" on an issue of this importance. I did not even know that Mr Mead had been on your Committee. My, my, he dies get around ! Why did he leave? It seems from your quotation of rules, then, that it would have been perfectly permissible for him to have become involved in the hearing, although I believe he has averred on here that he had none. I see that he commented on here a little while ago that he had nothing to do with Penzance FC, so presumably he will have had no impact whatsoever on the decision in this case. He never would, of course. Sorry, Dave, just one last question. It is very reassuring that the protocol on the hearing was correctly followed, but I am still puzzled as to who else could have legitimately participated in the hearing, given all the officers who were excluded. Apart from the Chair, who were the other two panel members, Dave ?

Rodney,

I've said pretty much all that needs to be said now and with the continuing questions despite saying I don't know a great deal about the situation, I'm of the opinion that you're just looking for more fuel to further ignite the flame between yourself and Penzance, something that I'm not really interested in being part of.

I've tried to be transparent and honest but it's obvious there's an agenda here and it's something I'm not really comfortable making further comment about.

Rest assured all our hearings are carried out correctly and in accordance with League and FA ruling. The outcome of these hearings will not be what the team wants some of the time which is exactly why there is an appeal procedure that can follow should the club wish to go down that route.

The league has no secrets and operates very well, has some experienced, knowledgeable and dedicated volunteers acting as officers and Members who only want what's best for our clubs, so long as the ruling (which is our backstop) is followed.

If you would like any more information, may I please ask that you (or someone with direct connection to a club) contacts the League Secretary for it because there's nothing more I can add to this that I haven't said already.

I believe in transparency and honesty aswell as discussing information which is free for people to attain by other means, however I must say I'm starting to feel a little bit like I'm part of a mind game here, something I don't really appreciate.

Thank you, Dave, you have been more helpful than you can imagine. Nice to hear of a league committee with no Magpies on it. There's a first time for everything ! Exorcism, Older ? Hardly, I'm a dialectical materialist. Mind you, your Spurs need some supernatural assistance. Mourinho left his divine powers behind at Stanford Bridge !