Cornwall Football Forum

DUCHY LEAGUE - Saturday 7 MARCH 2020

CORNWALL AIRPORT NEWQUAY DUCHY LEAGUE

(from Mike Newcombe)

At the seventh time of asking the final Duchy Knockout cup group match between Tregrehan Mills and Gorran was played after six previous postponements. Tregrehan led 3-1 at half time although at that time the score line rather flattered as play was quite equal. Glyn James scored a first half hat trick with the Gorran reply from a sublime half volley from Tom Guest. Tregrehan got well on top after the break and dominated the second period. They scored a fourth only for Gorran to pull a goal back from Dan Jones, but from then on, the win was never in doubt. Rory Barnicle, an own goal, Dean Dingle (2) and a fourth from James sealed an 8-2 win. Tregrehan qualify as group winners and have a home tie with Lostwithiel in the last sixteen with Stoke Climsland ending as runners up and going to St Newlyn East whilst Gorran are eliminated.

Altarnon move into the last eight of the Duchy Knock Out Cup after beating Saltash United 4-3 in a seven-goal thriller affected by the strong wind. Alfie Gilbard scored a brace for Altarnon with Charlie Wevill and Danny Moore adding a goal apiece. Saltash replied with a Phil Kombostiotis brace and a Tom Bullock goal.

Division One Pensilva caused an upset at Premier Division St Merryn with Leighton Mitchell scoring the only goal of the game as they progress to the last eight.

Boscastle reserves progress to the quarterfinals of the Shoe Boy League Cup beating St Mawgan reserves 4-3 on penalties after a one all draw. Tim Lyle scored for Boscastle as the game finished at one all leading to a competitive penalty shootout which the hosts just shaded and with their goalkeeper hitting the winning spot kick.

Boscastle’s Premier Division title hopes suffered a setback with a 2-1 loss at lowly AFC Bodmin. The hosts can be an inconsistent side but performed well to get a brace from Matt Hooper. James Bosley could only score once in reply for the visitors.

Honours were shared at Lostwithiel where St Breward fought out a one all draw. This game was goalless until the last fifteen minutes with neither side greatly troubling the other keeper. Liam Rooney scored to put Lostwithiel ahead but this spurred St Breward on and  Martin Jago hit the equaliser

Jordi Willmott scored five times as Nanpean Rovers retain their healthy lead at the top of Division Two and hitting a century of goals during the game. Their away match with Lifton reserves was switched to Launceston 3G but it did nothing to halt the Nanpean title charge. Reece Willmott and Ryan Best completed the visitors tally with Dylan Boundy getting the Lifton consolation.

Southgate Seniors stay in contention, but it took two Liam Cairns penalties to get the better of St Eval Spitfires in a 2-1 win that was far from comfortable.

Roche reserves still await a first point in Division Three but will be happy at least to get a home match played. They lost 3-1 to Gunnislake reserves with the visitor’s goals coming from Chris Parsons, Andrew Brown and James Andrews. Adam Floyd scored the Roche goal.

Grampound and Biscovey drew two all. This was an evenly fought match on a difficult pitch but another game out of the way. Michael Cox gave Biscovey the lead, but Shane Weeks quickly levelled. A defensive error allowed Danny Lyden to restore the visitors lead before half time. Honours fairly, ended even when after BJ Walkham was brought down in the area and Dean Dunn stepped to equalise from the penalty spot in the second half.

Delabole United went down 3-1 at home to Bude Town Thirds. Dom Norton scored a brace for Bude with Jacob Symm adding their other goal. Dan Edwards hit the Delabole reply.

PREMIER DIVISION

AFC Bodmin                          2-1            Boscastle

Lostwithiel FC                       1-1          St Breward

Stoke Climsland                    P-P            St Newlyn East AFC

DIVISION 1

Lanivet Inn                            P-P             Polperro Reserves

DIVISION 2

Lifton 2nd                               1-7            Nanpean Rovers
North Hill                               P-P            Calstock

Southgate Seniors               2-1          St Eval Spitfires

DIVISION 3

Delabole United                   1-3          Bude Town 3rds

Grampound                           2-2           Biscovey

Roche AFC Reserves           1-3          Gunnislake Reserves

KNOCK OUT CUP 2019 - 2020

Altarnon                                4-3              Saltash United Thirds

Gunnislake                            P-P              Mevagissey

St Merryn                              0-1         Pensilva

Tregrehan Mills                    8-2           Gorran

SHOE BOY DUCHY LEAGUE CUP

Boscastle Reserves             1-1             St Mawgan Reserves (Boscastle won 4-3 on pens)

Bude Town Reserves          H w/o     Queens Rangers

North Petherwin Res          P-P             St Stephen Reserves

St Dominick Reserves         P-P             St Cleer Reserves

1 hour ago, St Newlyn East AFC said:

Game Off - Stoke Climsland V St Newlyn East is off. We offered to reverse the fixture to ours as Stoke still have to come to us in the league and our pitch is good to go - even with a later KO - but this was declined by Stoke!

Fair play to St Newlyn trying to get it on, shame not all teams are like this. The sign of times I’m afraid!!

1 hour ago, Adlestrop said:

Totally pathetic ! either they want to play football or they don't.How on earth can Leagues function with Clubs like this?

It would be interesting to know what sort of work/jobs are involved. Appreciate far more work commitments now on a Saturday than there used to be when the likes of Paul and I played! Must be a nightmare being a manager as well. Do the managers get to know weeks in advance of work patterns. One more thing to take into consideration these days.

3 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

Duchy Premier - Lostwithiel 1 - 1 St Breward

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon at the King George. For a pitch virtually at sea level it was remarkably dry but the surface was not great, fortunately neither side were phased by this and it didn't spoil the game at all. These were two evenly matched outfits - good spirit, attitude & work rate and both trying to play good attacking football and capable of giving any side a good game on their day. However, i think both sides lack that little bit of something extra to makes them a cut above the rest and neither 'keeper was overly bothered first half.

Nil - nil at the break and in an attempt to get out of the wind i slipped across the road to the Globe and felt obliged to have a pint, very nice it was too.

The second half continued in the same vein, end to end stuff with nobody dominating. The deadlock was broken on the half hour by Lostwithiel, a soft goal but they all count. As so often happens this spurred the visitors on and it was 1 - 1 within minutes. A rash tackle and some unnecessary verbals saw Lostwithiel reduced to ten men for the final 5 minutes but it had no affect on the result = a point apiece fair enough for me.. 

Lovely to see you there Paul and an accurate account of a typical Duchy game between 2 combative teams on a tricky surface. All in all an enjoyable day.

On 07/03/2020 at 12:35, Dave Deacon said:

It would be interesting to know what sort of work/jobs are involved. Appreciate far more work commitments now on a Saturday than there used to be when the likes of Paul and I played! Must be a nightmare being a manager as well. Do the managers get to know weeks in advance of work patterns. One more thing to take into consideration these days.

Late evening shift for bars pubs, clubs and kitchen/restaurant staff? Busiest trade on a Saturday night these days surely?

20 hours ago, Roche Raider said:

Vary I suppose! If you're a Newquay club worker, you may not start til 6pm through til 2-3am. If you're away at Stoke Climsland and you live in Newquay... That's gonna be a tough one.

That’s a very weak excuse, you can get anywhere in our league within an hour. Does get me annoyed when people say they can’t travel!

4 hours ago, Massive88 said:

That’s a very weak excuse, you can get anywhere in our league within an hour. Does get me annoyed when people say they can’t travel!

It is weak I agree but you gonna convince 16-18 year olds to do that in the **** rain to run the line for 70 minutes then get 20 minutes? Come off it.

Cornish football overall isn’t the same pull it used to be 10-15 years ago for young players. Back when I was a kid it was finish school and get out and kick a ball. You use to look forward to finishing work 5 pm and rush to an evening game. these days it’s sit playing the PlayStation or planning nights out. Young players haven’t got the drive these days of the players back then. Hence the lack of players and teams folding all the time. It will only get worse as time goes on. 

4 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Cornish football overall isn’t the same pull it used to be 10-15 years ago for young players. Back when I was a kid it was finish school and get out and kick a ball. You use to look forward to finishing work 5 pm and rush to an evening game. these days it’s sit playing the PlayStation or planning nights out. Young players haven’t got the drive these days of the players back then. Hence the lack of players and teams folding all the time. It will only get worse as time goes on. 

Mobile phones...they cant put them down. 

Maybe if they were allowed to take them on the pitch with them they would be more interested in playing football...cracked it I think!