TUESDAY MARCH 3 2020

SOUTH WEST PENINSULA LEAGUE

PREMIER EAST

Holsworthy AFC                   P-P            Bovey Tracey

PREMIER WEST

Launceston                           P-P          Camelford

WALTER C PARSON LEAGUE CUP, Quarter Final

Elmore AFC                  6-3          Plymouth Marjon

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP, Semi Final (at Liskeard)

Torpoint Athletic        2-0             Wadebridge Town

Lewis Young in the 20th minute and Curtis Damerell in the 78th minute put Torpoint through to Final! It was a good night and thank you to Liskeard Athletic and Cornwall FA for putting the game on! For me personally it’s a dream come true as it’s my first big final, I have been involved as Football Secretary or Committee member for Torpoint Athletic for 20 years!!

43 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Torpoint go through to their first Senior Cup Easter Monday final since 1996 when they beat Porthleven in a replay.

A goal in each half from Lewis Young and Curtis Damerell proved enough to beat opponents Wadebridge.

What was the score in the final and replay Dave? Plus what else was special for us in that season? A quick pop quiz for you!

Torpoint Athletic 2 Wadebridge Town 0

A decent crowd of around 200 entered the winter chill over Lux Park. That's pretty good considering a couple of money bag modern football sides were playing in what used to be the FA Cup on BBC.

You could see the admirable work Liskeard had done to get a heavy sodden pitch playable. They should be applauded for the effort which ensured the semi final had the setting it deserved.

It wasn't flowing silky football, we got 90 minutes of blood and guts instead. 

Once Wadebridge had got some early doors amateur dramatics out the pram both clubs gave it everything they'd got.

Overall Torpoint had a touch more quality and poise but Wadebridge did look a lot better outfit under the new management regime.

There were plenty of chances, near misses and goal mouth scrambles at either end but the clinical Torpoint finishing proved the essential difference on the night.

Both sides deserve praise for making this a semi final worthy of its status. That's probably a lot more than we'll get when the millionaires play their discredited FA Cup Semi on the Tele.

8 hours ago, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

What was the score in the final and replay Dave? Plus what else was special for us in that season? A quick pop quiz for you!

1-1 the result of the first game and you won 2-0 in the replay.

And your Irish contingency at the club were pleased as they won the Eurovision Song Contest!

9 hours ago, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

Lewis Young in the 20th minute and Curtis Damerell in the 78th minute put Torpoint through to Final! It was a good night and thank you to Liskeard Athletic and Cornwall FA for putting the game on! For me personally it’s a dream come true as it’s my first big final, I have been involved as Football Secretary or Committee member for Torpoint Athletic for 20 years!!

To echo Robbie's words. A big thank you must go out to Liskeard for hosting the fixture, a heavy surface on the night didn't make for the prettiest of games but both teams had to adjust. Some outstanding defending by the Bridgers in the 2nd half with multiple attempts cleared off the goal line.

A great night for the Football Club and a first CSC Final to look forward to in 2+ decades!!

13 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

1-1 the result of the first game and you won 2-0 in the replay.

And your Irish contingency at the club were pleased as they won the Eurovision Song Contest!

We drew 0-0 in the first Senior Cup Final Match and won 1-0 in the replay against Porthleven. We also finished 2nd in the South Western League to Truro City and won the Charity Cup, plus got to the 5th Round of the FA Vase losing 2-0 the Raunds Town.

We’ve always had wet winters. That was just typical of the pitches we played on year in, year out.  If it wasn’t rain it was hail and snow. 

The accepted tactic from November until March used to be keep it out of the middle, play the flanks.

Now matches are routinely cancelled  because “if you play today you won’t play on that pitch for weeks” and then you don’t play for weeks anyway because the same reasoning applies!

Another reason given is “the referee has deemed it too dangerous” resulting in teams playing 4 times a week at the end of the season and players picking up injuries galore! 

I personally always found it more acceptable landing on a soggy pitch In January than a bone hard one in April! 

Sodden pitches may not result in flowing football but mistakes and slips can result in some of the most entertaining games you could wish to see, just google FA Cup ties from the 70’s! 

There's wet and there's wet.

I played in the 70's as well on some bloody awful pitches, and saw many awful injuries because of it! Today for many reasons a pitch that is unstable and considered dangerous is no longer played on.

A few of the pitches that have been played on during this weather are now cancelling every fixture.

I've worked and played on the land all my life and the last 5 years have been terrible. 

And. I've never seen a wetter season than this...and it's not entertaining to see a broken limb!

4 hours ago, Barca said:

We’ve always had wet winters. That was just typical of the pitches we played on year in, year out.  If it wasn’t rain it was hail and snow. 

The accepted tactic from November until March used to be keep it out of the middle, play the flanks.

Now matches are routinely cancelled  because “if you play today you won’t play on that pitch for weeks” and then you don’t play for weeks anyway because the same reasoning applies!

Another reason given is “the referee has deemed it too dangerous” resulting in teams playing 4 times a week at the end of the season and players picking up injuries galore! 

I personally always found it more acceptable landing on a soggy pitch In January than a bone hard one in April! 

Sodden pitches may not result in flowing football but mistakes and slips can result in some of the most entertaining games you could wish to see, just google FA Cup ties from the 70’s! 

This is exactly my thinking but unfortunately now the participants, referees as well are what are gen really known as the snowflake generation.

On 04/03/2020 at 23:27, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

We drew 0-0 in the first Senior Cup Final Match and won 1-0 in the replay against Porthleven. We also finished 2nd in the South Western League to Truro City and won the Charity Cup, plus got to the 5th Round of the FA Vase losing 2-0 the Raunds Town.

That’s strange Windmill!

I’ve got it down as 1-1 in the first game with Haigh getting your goal and then the replay (also at St Blazey) was 2-0 with Gammon and an own goal!

Mark Hope scored for Port!

16 hours ago, BIG AL said:

This is exactly my thinking but unfortunately now the participants, referees as well are what are gen really known as the snowflake generation.

Things though do tend to follow, what I always think off as, the Daily Mail Process. It is usually starts as "too much red tape", "now they've banned (insert whatever here)" then moves to "shock horror"when something happens,"someone must be held accountable",the witch hunt of whatever individual they can pin it on and then a "something must be done" faux outrage and campaign .This usually results in an ill thought out and un-enforceable piece of legislation by whichever weak and near sighted government we have at the time.